ESPN for iOS becomes a universal app for iPhone & iPad with new look, iPhone 6/+ support

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
ESPN's official application for iOS was given an overhaul on Thursday, becoming a universal app for iPhone and iPad, gaining support for the larger displays of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and also getting a fresh coat of paint.

The ESPN App version 4.2 is now available to download on the iOS App Store. The free update adds native support for the larger displays of the iPad lineup, as well as the iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6.

The update also adds ESPN Now, a new feature that can be accessed by swiping right from the news section. There, users can access up-to-the-minute ESPN photos, videos, and social media content.

Version 4.2 also adds support for the Cricket World Cup, including video clips and scores. And the latest version also includes the usual bug fixes and speed improvements.

As part of its redesign, the app has also been rebranded. Previously known as the SportsCenter app, and ScoreCenter before that, the name has been changed to the ESPN App.

ESPN's official app also includes the ability to watch the worldwide leader's channels live over the Internet, and also offers a live stream of ESPN Radio content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Still doesn't let you customize which sports you want to see scores and news about. For example, I couldn't care less about NBA or college basketball, yet when I open the app, that's what I have to see. Looking for another app.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Still doesn't let you customize which sports you want to see scores and news about. For example, I couldn't care less about NBA or college basketball, yet when I open the app, that's what I have to see. Looking for another app.

My sports app of choice is  Yahoo sports. You can customize the app to just show the sports leagues you care about. Unfortunately its not optimized yet for the iPhone 6/6 Plus. 

• Reply 3 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

At one point the ESPN app started to get "needy " and required too much information from me, so I abandoned it in favor of their mobile website.  (I know, right?)  Same thing with the Yahoo Sports app.  The thing for me is that during hockey/basketball seasons I pay almost zero attention to sports.  But something to think about for the future.

• Reply 4 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mike1 wrote: »

I would have thought allowing for customizing your own set up would have been one of the most important features for ESPN to add. In fact the option for multiple set ups would be nice kind of like playlists in the iTunes sense.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

For all the talk about "smart" TVs, all I really want is the ability to customize the news crawl (what they used to call a chyron) to eliminate all the stuff I don't give a rats ass about.  And yet ESPN apparently still can't get that right in their app?  I'm guessing the network has some overriding vision of themselves as data curators.  The net result is that I don't turn their channel on for months at a time...

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

My sports app of choice is  Yahoo sports. You can customize the app to just show the sports leagues you care about. Unfortunately its not optimized yet for the iPhone 6/6 Plus. 

I tried ESPOS and it just plain s*cked.  I'm with Yahoo Sports and Bleacher Report.  

• Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

For all the talk about "smart" TVs, all I really want is the ability to customize the news crawl (what they used to call a chyron) to eliminate all the stuff I don't give a rats ass about.  And yet ESPN apparently still can't get that right in their app?  I'm guessing the network has some overriding vision of themselves as data curators.  The net result is that I don't turn their channel on for months at a time...

Agree.  I tune in only to watch a desired game, otherwise I could do without the blowhards on the network and their histrionics.

• Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

I had the ESPN app years ago. Very inflexible (you're force-fed stuff you don't want to see), and after one of their updates, it got a lot more bloated. I dropped it for "the Score" and never looked back. Bleacher Report and Yahoo Sports are also good.

• Reply 9 of 12

And now with full page ads!!

• Reply 10 of 12
    I'm still waits for the ESPN alert tone to be the actual one they use on TV, and the one they used on stage when they debuted their first ESPN years ago, instead of the cartoon-y one they use. Is that so hard?
  • Reply 11 of 12

OK, after 15 minutes with the new app:

The good:  iPhone UI is much improved, video on iPhone plays either within a frame or full screen

The bad:   Can't automatically exclude stories for the sports I don't care about

The ugly:  Embedded pre-roll ads in videos, still have to sign in/register to configure favorite teams

• Reply 12 of 12
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Maybe they can link HealthKit to ESPN so we can track NFL head injuries in real time.