AppleInsider podcast discusses Apple's $700B market cap, Tim Cook at Goldman Sachs, MacBook Air refr

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news, including Apple's record $700 billion market cap, $850 million investment in solar energy, MacBook Air refresh, Apple TV and the new Phorm iPad accessory.

This week, AppleInsider staff member members Neil Hughes, Victor Marks and Stephen Robles discuss the top stories:

Apple's record market cap
$850 million solar power investment
MacBook Air refresh
iOS 8.3, Swift and CarPlay
Apple TV updates
Cable companies
Phorm iPad Mini accessory

The show is available on Apple's iTunes. You can listen to the podcast and subscribe via this link:

You can also listen to it embedded via SoundCloud below:

Show note links:

Apple shares close at an all time high
$850 million investment in solar farm
Tim Cook speaks at Goldman Sachs
Aerial tour of Apple's new spaceship campus
Early 2015 MacBook Air refresh
iOS 8.3 wireless CarPlay
iOS 8.3 beta and Swift 1.2
Dish's Sling TV
Phorm for iPad Mini

Hosts: @thisisneil, @vmarks and @stephenrobles

We'd appreciate your feedback and comments, as well as any questions that we can answer on future episodes. Send your responses to the AppleInsider Podcast at [email protected] or follow or tweet at us @appleinsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    OT but about Apple's success in general ... I wonder if Apple could have AAPL share gift cards in their Apple Stores. We bought our grandchildren AAPL for gifts when they were born. Now worth $35,000! I realize you need brokerage accounts to sell shares, which is why I said gift cards, these would be an intermediate step that would be used to pay for the shares through a participating brokerage. You can buy a fraction of an AAPL share so they could be fixed amount gift cards such as $100 and $50.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I absolutely love these podcasts.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Might be cool to have a different guest from the forums each week also. Someone selected by popular vote, perhaps? I'd vote for SolipsismY, Melgross, Marvin and DickApplebaum for starters. ????
  • Reply 4 of 13
    How do you turn off Wi-Fi when you have an ethernet cable connected. When you connect an ethernet cable, Wi-Fi is disconnected by default.
    This was mentioned in the podcast that it's a dirty little secret.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I liked the podcast. They talked about the ?TV and cable companies. I think it would be cool if the next ?TV, assuming it is still a box and not a stick, would include a pass through switch so you could have cable, WiFi, ethernet, and HD antenna all connected to it and use the Apple remote to switch among them as needed.

• Reply 6 of 13
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Might be cool to have a different guest from the forums each week also. Someone selected by popular vote, perhaps? I'd vote for SolipsismY, Melgross, Marvin and DickApplebaum for starters. ????

We've been tossing around ideas like this. Be on the lookout in the next couple weeks.

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

How do you turn off Wi-Fi when you have an ethernet cable connected. When you connect an ethernet cable, Wi-Fi is disconnected by default.

This was mentioned in the podcast that it's a dirty little secret.

I think Victor was saying if you make the Apple TV "forget" the wireless network it'll work even better than just plugging in ethernet and leaving the wifi network saved. Not sure though.

• Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I liked the podcast. They talked about the ?TV and cable companies. I think it would be cool if the next ?TV, assuming it is still a box and not a stick, would include a pass through switch so you could have cable, WiFi, ethernet, and HD antenna all connected to it and use the Apple remote to switch among them as needed.

Thanks! I would love to be able to connect my antennae to my Apple TV and access the over the air channels that way. Doubtful Apple will do something like that though.

• Reply 9 of 13
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenrobles View Post

Thanks! I would love to be able to connect my antennae to my Apple TV and access the over the air channels that way. Doubtful Apple will do something like that though.

Antenna is annoying. Maybe Apple will do it better by streaming the OTA contents for free with bundled TV package, let's say $30 or more/mo which includes 15 prime channels, user selectable.

• Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Antenna is annoying. Maybe Apple will do it better by streaming the OTA contents for free with bundled TV package, let's say $30 or more/mo which includes 15 prime channels, user selectable.

I'm sure Apple would love to do that. Up to the cable companies / networks though. 

• Reply 11 of 13
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I always watch my local channels OTA because it is uncompressed with pristine video and audio. So much better quality than cable. I have a $20 HD antenna mounted in the attic of my garage so no unsightly outdoor mounting required.

• Reply 12 of 13

Hey, great idea!

I'd love to be a guest! I would suggest pairing me with Slurpy, just to see how high his blood pressure can go. ????
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Loved this podcast!

Thanks Neil, Victor and Stephen. I particularly enjoyed the dude raging on Bluetooth. This was so funny! I kinda could have imagined Steve Jobs like that, having such a strong opinion and expressing it in no uncertain terms. ????

I liked how there was often one guy sniggering in the background; it really cracked me up. Stephen is so pleasant and reasonable, the other two made such a great contrast cackling and chuckling in the background and firing off rants about bug-fixing, but in a good-humoured way.