MP3 DVDs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know that a person can create mp3 CDs, but how about mp3 DVDs. and if u can will any players read them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I would assume that many of your current DVD Players that play MP3 CD's might just work with MP3 DVDs.

I'm still hoping for a MP3 HD Based Servers to take off once they put their finger on the "Pulse" of the buying public.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    DVD can be a storage media as well. You could store gigabytes of mp3s on a DVD and put it in any other machine with a DVD drive, providing it supports the formatting, and you'll have speedy access to your music. It's kind of a good idea, I think. I'm not so sure about anything else.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Sounds like a very good idea, if it works. I dunno if those Mp3 capable DVD players only read MP3 Cd's though. Apple's choice of DVD format may prove superior here, since it has better compatibility with DVD drives. 4.7GB of Mp3 per disc could make for a nice (CHEAP) MP3 server.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hmm, I might try to make one tonight.

Scared of making an $8 coaster though...
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Well it would at least work on your iMac, where it would be very good for keeping the HDD free of clutter.

Do it. I think archiving's a great use for the superdrive. Some peope have said that the superdrive is pretty slow even when making a DVD-data disc. Let us know how it goes.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Anyone else care to chime in here? I don't want to waste a DVD-R disk if it's not going to play in my DVD player. (it plays DVD, CD, VCD,CD-R, CD-RW, MP3)

Just made an "MP3 disk" in Toast Titanium on a DVD-R in simulation mode... took about 25 minutes.

I'm such a chicken shit.. can't uncheck that simulation button...

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 17
    owl boyowl boy Posts: 61member
    <a href="http://new.wavlist.com/movies/022/twb-youcandoit.wav"; target="_blank">http://new.wavlist.com/movies/022/twb-youcandoit.wav</a>;

Well the second part may or may not apply

-Owl
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Come on Murbot, a man who unfurls the money belt as often as you shouldn't blink at the thought of $8. Besides, knowing you, you'd probably find a buyer on ebay for that disc.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ?For only backups of MP3's, a hard drive based solution is much cheaper (lower cost-per-megabyte) than a DVD one.

?For portability of MP3's, CD's and DVD's are essentially equal with the slight edge going to CD's. While MP3 DVD's present a lower cost-per-megabyte solution than do MP3 CD's, the former also requires a greater hardware investment (DVD-in dash receivers for cars/ DVD players compared to MP3 CD in-dash receivers and MP3 CD players. In addition to those price limitations, there is no portable audio-specific DVD player at this time. I suppose one may purchase a portable DVD player with an LCD screen but at a price well above MP3 CD players. At this time, I see no real advantages of MP3 DVD's unless one already has or is willing to purchase additional (also more expensive) hardware.

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: sjpsu ]

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: sjpsu ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 17
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    what?

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 17
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    sjpsu, I see your points and..the fact is I was just wondering if it was possible, I never planned on making one.....well at least not yet.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I tried making an 'MP3 disk' with Toast Titanium with the DVD-R disk that came with the iMac...

Won't play in our DVD player.

Oh well, it's a backup of my favorite 4.3 GB of MP3s I guess, and I can transfer them to the PC now. Not a total loss....

Damn.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Still good for the iMac too. You can keep the HDD free for other files (apps, work, projects, pr0n, hehehe, etc etc.) Seriously though. 60GB is nice and spacious, but if you end up using a lot of iMovie and iDVD you'll appreciate having a nice big chunk of hard-drive open for the occasion.

DVD's will certainly get cheaper. You have an iPod, no? Will iTunes let you sync a DVD disc to the iPod? You could dump a disc to the Pod to suit your mood and play the Mp3's from there. If not I'm sure there are hacks out there to let you manage and transfer your Mp3's the way God intended.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Hmm. Good idea. I could put most of my collection of 192 kbps collection on it. If I ripped it agiain at 128 I bet it would fit in 4.6 gigs.

What I want is a single portable device capable of carrying my entire collection of CDs at full quality. Lessee, let's guess 600 megs per CD is actually taken up, times about 150 CDs is... 87 gigs! So a 100 gig iPod would be perfect.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    owl boyowl boy Posts: 61member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>Hmm. Good idea. I could put most of my collection of 192 kbps collection on it. If I ripped it agiain at 128 I bet it would fit in 4.6 gigs.

What I want is a single portable device capable of carrying my entire collection of CDs at full quality. Lessee, let's guess 600 megs per CD is actually taken up, times about 150 CDs is... 87 gigs! So a 100 gig iPod would be perfect.</strong><hr></blockquote>

and expensive sadly...

-Owl
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I got about 300 here. I'd be happy to get that down to 6-7 (Mp3) DVD's. Look's like they won't play in consumer DVD players though, too bad. I had a feeling that the Mp3 function of those players was CD only. err. Anyone else try this on their consumer payers yet? DVD players can be finicky and sometimes a disc will play in one model and not in another.

Does anyone know if Apple's (or anyone's) DVD burner is going to be compatible with dual layer discs? Double sided is a given, just flip the disc. But what about double layer (8.5GB) discs?

I know all DVD compliant players can read dual layer discs, but can the DVD-rw/DVD+rw drives write dual layer discs???
  • Reply 17 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I got about 300 here. I'd be happy to get that down to 6-7 (Mp3) DVD's. Look's like they won't play in consumer DVD players though, too bad. I had a feeling that the Mp3 function of those players was CD only. err. Anyone else try this on their consumer payers yet? DVD players can be finicky and sometimes a disc will play in one model and not in another.

Does anyone know if Apple's (or anyone's) DVD burner is going to be compatible with dual layer discs? Double sided is a given, just flip the disc. But what about double layer (8.5GB) discs?

I know all DVD compliant players can read dual layer discs, but can the DVD-rw/DVD+rw drives write dual layer discs???</strong><hr></blockquote>

no they can't write dual layers. and likely won't be able to for a while more (at least anywhere near affordable)