Beats Music integration only part of the story as Apple wants to 'be the music business'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    What would be the killer feature of an apple car? Advanced active safety measures perhaps? Self driving cars ... Dunno.

Another electric car using tesla's battery patents? Perhaps they will roll out charging stations along with cars.

They want to change the world using "socially and environmentally aware" products. Even the watch is meant to get you to exercise more.

The heavy liberal management at the top of apple would be inspired by some tech for global warming reduction.

They might want to sell you some sort of supplementary vehicles to the one you already have. They would want a producT with broad appeal and high numbers of sales. Otherwise, they aren't making a dent in their social agenda.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

What would be the killer feature of an apple car? Advanced active safety measures perhaps? Self driving cars ... Dunno.

Another electric car using tesla's battery patents? Perhaps they will roll out charging stations along with cars.

They want to change the world using "socially and environmentally aware" products. Even the watch is meant to get you to exercise more.

The heavy liberal management at the top of apple would be inspired by some tech for global warming reduction.

They might want to sell you some sort of supplementary vehicles to the one you already have. They would want a producT with broad appeal and high numbers of sales. Otherwise, they aren't making a dent in their social agenda.

Tesla is apparently going to sell batteries for home installation and use with solar powered homes. I can see Apple being involved in off grid and grid tie systems. One attractive feature I think that is overlooked on electric cars is being able to power the house from the battery in the car for emergency uses; or perhaps to transport energy to the house to reduce dependence on the utility. If you can charge your car for free (or a very reduced cost) elsewhere - access to a solar power station for example - then take it home and use the free electricity, the costs become much easier to recover.

• Reply 23 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Nope.

Bach is the greatest composer to have ever lived. No-one else comes close, not even Beethoven or Mozart. All music since has been a nice attempt in comparison.

All modern music stems from Bach. He created the foundations of modern harmony.

There hasn't been any good scientist (loosely used term), since Nicolaus Copernicus. No advance in mathematics or astronomy since him.

• Reply 24 of 54
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    genovelle wrote: »
    They closed the deal in august. Not even 6 million months. Considering Beats headphones make about 1.3 billion in profit it will be sooner that 5 years it was a no brainer deal. Win win win.

That's revenue not profit- show the link.
    And Announced May
    Officially August
    and Good luck wit dat.
  • Reply 25 of 54

There hasn't been any good scientist (loosely used term), since Nicolaus Copernicus. No advance in mathematics or astronomy since him.

There hasn't been any good sex since Adam & Eve, that snake and that Apple- it's been all downhill since then.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    No philosophy since Plato.

No art since Michaelango.

No posing since Narcissus.

Ignore the attention-seeker.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    I disagree.

I enjoy a lot of Pink Floyd, and, indeed, much other music of the last few centuries, but to say that it's all the same is do do a profound disservice to music.

Not all music is equal. I think there's been plenty of great music written since Bach, and before him. But there is also a hierarchy of music. "I'm too sexy for my shirt" uses the same Western harmony and form that composers used hundreds of years earlier, including Bach. But it's not as good as Bach's S. Matthew Passion. It never will be.

We are lucky to be blessed with so much excellent music from the past, be it Haydn's Nelson Mass or Katy Perry's Teenage Dream.

You sound like Rodrigo from Mozart in the Jungle. Does Amazon GB carry it?
  • Reply 28 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    And Announced May
    Officially August
    and Good luck wit dat.

To be fair you are criticising the most successful company in the world based on no inside knowledge. If there's one thing you should have learned by now it's that it's a safer bet to assume Apple knows what they're doing.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The Beats acquistion will pay for itself in 5 years.

Amazing job by Cook 
    That's too long.

I'm thinking 2 or 3 years.
    Didn't Beats make a billion in 2013?

Anyways the music industry is something I hold close to my heart. Right now it's a mess! With all the cheapskates who thinks its cool to steal music and the people uploading music to YouTube I would love to see Apple fix this mess. I want to see Apple become a record label. THAT is where it's naturally heading. Dr. Dre and Jimmy have ran the biggest labels of the modern era.
    Apple being its own label would mean artists get paid more for their music and there's less middlemen sucking the talents dry.

Streaming is a HUGE rip off for the artists. I heard some of them made like $100 off Spotify.

Also wasn't the Beyonce album eventually available on GigglePlay? If so, then what's the fu**ing point?

This industry needs a serious shakeup.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

I miss the days when we had a music profession.

The real question is: will great music ever be created now? Seems it's been downhill since 1750 (the death of Bach).

Björk just made a new album, try it !

• Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

No art since Michaelango.

Michelangelo. He wasn't english :)

• Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

I disagree.

I enjoy a lot of Pink Floyd, and, indeed, much other music of the last few centuries, but to say that it's all the same is do do a profound disservice to music.

Not all music is equal. I think there's been plenty of great music written since Bach, and before him. But there is also a hierarchy of music. "I'm too sexy for my shirt" uses the same Western harmony and form that composers used hundreds of years earlier, including Bach. But it's not as good as Bach's S. Matthew Passion. It never will be.

We are lucky to be blessed with so much excellent music from the past, be it Haydn's Nelson Mass or Katy Perry's Teenage Dream.

I understand. Yes, most artists have been using musical ideas already tried centuries ago. What's most important now is less the technical aspect (not always though) and more the meaning. Frankly classical music isn't very deep imo on that and each piece deals with only a few emotions at a time, even if maybe with more subtlety. 

• Reply 33 of 54
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    clemynx wrote: »

Michelangelo. He wasn't english :)
    He was a white man from Oxford just like Jesus!
  • Reply 34 of 54
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    And Announced May
    Officially August
    and Good luck wit dat.
    Until it closed no money changed hands so August it is. You are correct on the revenue,but considering when their headphones were $200 it cost them $14 to make. It's mostly profit. So, I'm feel pretty good about my guess. http://www.vox.com/2014/5/28/5758964/why-apple-is-buying-beats
  • Reply 35 of 54
    ireland wrote: »
    To be fair you are criticising the most successful company in the world based on no inside knowledge. If there's one thing you should have learned by now it's that it's a safer bet to assume Apple knows what they're doing.

Never assume anything. From Disney to Edison , from Coca-Cola to Ford. Everyone fails at some point. No one is exempt. Remember Apple HIFI?
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

classical music isn't very deep imo on that and each piece deals with only a few emotions at a time, even if maybe with more subtlety. 

Good god man.  Good god!

• Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I want to see Apple become a record label. THAT is where it's naturally heading. Dr. Dre and Jimmy have ran the biggest labels of the modern era.

Apple being its own label would mean artists get paid more for their music and there's less middlemen sucking the talents dry.

I was going to say that.  That I wouldn't be surprised if Apple begins signing up acts, does the promotion and sells the music themselves.  Cuts out the record labels and their waste and decadence.  The acts get a better cut of the pie and we get the music we want, not what the labels push at any given time.  We'll see. 

• Reply 38 of 54
    psych_guy wrote: »
    I was going to say that.  That I wouldn't be surprised if Apple begins signing up acts, does the promotion and sells the music themselves.  Cuts out the record labels and their waste and decadence.  The acts get a better cut of the pie and we get the music we want, not what the labels push at any given time.  We'll see. 

If Apple didn't go it in the Movie and TV production I highly doubt they will begin here. But that would be a good start to producing their own content as they have been left behind by both Amazon and Netflix.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    sog35 wrote: »
    beats wasn't reported with Apple's earnings until the Dec Qtr.  So its only 4 months so far.

Glad you are not running Apple.

Glad you're not my accountant.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    The music industry is made up of morons - the all-you-can-eat streaming business model is killing the industry and is grossly unfair to the performers and songwriters as they are getting paid in pennies. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.