Apple signs on to Obama's cybersecurity framework as Tim Cook calls privacy 'life and death' issue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

I don't tbelieve a corporate CEO should have the right to decide how much privacy I need. Give me the RIGHT TO CHOOSE. I'm not easily brainwashed or a shill for everything Apple and everything Tim Cook.

You misunderstand the article.

Apple DOES give you the choice.

By default, you have privacy from the government. Have a business rival with a powerful friend? Too bad--she can bypass normal warrants and courts, and ignore the Constitution—but she still can't get your private photos. Have a charity that frightens some big business? Well, they can classify you as a terrorist, but they can't read your iMessages to your children.

If you want to CHOOSE not to have privacy, you can simply send any information you desire, to whatever government agency you would like to have it.

• Reply 22 of 80
    "We must get this right," he added. "History has shown us that sacrificing our right to privacy can have dire consequences. We still live in a world where all people are not treated equally. Too many people do not feel free to practice their religion, or express their opinion, or love who they choose."

Personal privacy is especially important "in a world in which that information can make the difference between life and death," Cook said.

Bravo for his honesty and deep understanding of what is at risk. His message was delivered with great eloquence. More people in his position should be willing to stick their necks out in the best interest of our country and not their back pockets.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    nagromme wrote: »
    You misunderstand the article.

Apple DOES give you the choice.

By default, you have privacy from the government. Have a business rival with a powerful friend? Too bad--she can bypass normal warrants and courts, and ignore the Constitution—but she still can't get your private photos. Have a charity that frightens some big business? Well, they can classify you as a terrorist, but they can't read your iMessages to your children.

If you want to CHOOSE not to have privacy, you can simply send any information you desire, to whatever government agency you would like to have it.
    I'm sorry, but you misunderstood my proposition and how the availability of spy-collected data and activity works in the real world.

By the way, it isn't just about giving static data to governments. It also involves tracking movements and keystrokes in real time while connected to the Internet. I don't see why I can't have the right to choose. If you choose not to give any information to governments, that is your personal choice. Let me make my own choice the easiest way possible. If you call yourself a true human rights supporter, you'd be wrong.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    If Apple does not want to update iOS to allow for information sharing with governments, my question to Cook would be: would he allow a third-party app in the App Store that will accomplish the same feat? Is he truly an advocate for human rights and personal safety? Let's get to the real bottom of his motives, shall we.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but you misunderstood my proposition and how the availability of spy-collected data and activity works in the real world.

By the way, it isn't just about giving static data to governments. It also involves tracking movements and keystrokes in real time while connected to the Internet. I don't see why I can't have the right to choose. If you choose not to give any information to governments, that is your personal choice. Let me make my own choice the easiest way possible. If you call yourself a true human rights supporter, you'd be wrong.

Your choice affects everyone you communicate with. If I don't want my information shared, I can't talk to you without the government also collecting my half of our conversations. I can't hang out with you without the government knowing where I went. I can't buy something from you via digital payments without the government knowing what I bought. This is, unequivocally, bad for everyone.

• Reply 26 of 80
    it can cut both way Tim.. It is not as black and white !
  • Reply 27 of 80
    bobjohnson wrote: »
    Your choice affects everyone you communicate with. If I don't want my information shared, I can't talk to you without the government also collecting my half of our conversations. I can't hang out with you without the government knowing where I went. I can't buy something from you via digital payments without the government knowing what I bought. This is, unequivocally, bad for everyone.
    I am allowed to share a private conversation with anyone, including private investigators and the government if I so choose. There is nothing you can do to prevent me from protecting my safety and interests.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    Quote:

Not really. If they are aware of my activities then there is less suspicion I am working against them in secret. Less Privacy = More Personal Security.

as of yet- there has been NO terrorist plot spoiled by the gigantic amount of eavesdropping and data collecting on american phones. and there has been NO terrorist plots spoiled by tapping allies phones either (thinking of Germany and England here). 

the case is actually less privacy = less privacy.

• Reply 29 of 80
    revenant wrote: »

as of yet- there has been NO terrorist plot spoiled by the gigantic amount of eavesdropping and data collecting on american phones. and there has been NO terrorist plots spoiled by tapping allies phones either (thinking of Germany and England here). 

the case is actually less privacy = less privacy.
    What part of Right To Choose privacy preferences did you miss?
  • Reply 30 of 80

I am allowed to share a private conversation with anyone, including private investigators and the government if I so choose. There is nothing you can do to prevent me from protecting my safety and interests.

Protecting your safety… by purposely sharing private information with the government.

That’s funny.

• Reply 31 of 80
    It's funny but sad and scary. There is a significant percentage of the population that feels this way - they are self-righteous and are also blind to the very real dangers of government intrusion into citizens privacy. They will volunteer to give up their own privacy, and by so doing, violate the rights of everyone else with impunity. This is what made Nazi German work so well.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Protecting your safety… by purposely sharing private information with the government.

That’s funny.
    Funny, obtuse, preposterous and ridiculous.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

This is what made Nazi German work so well.

Is it? I would’ve said Stalinist Russia.

• Reply 34 of 80
    What part of Right To Choose privacy preferences did you miss?

What part of Apple not wanting to share their customer's info did you miss?
  • Reply 35 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Is it? I would’ve said Stalinist Russia.

Was there much difference?
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Was there much difference?

In belief and ideology? Yeah. In amount of government control? Eh…

• Reply 37 of 80
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

I don't believe you actually know how spies perform their tasks and missions.

Oh, man, seriously, and you're actually a Quebecer like me... Embarassing!

I've been involved in computer security before people actually cared about it at all in the early 1990s.

At that time, getting into anything at all, was insanely easy; everything was wide open.

What Apple wants to prevent first is fishing expeditions and profiling, were wide swat of people are put under routine surveillance without warrants.  They're doing a pretty decent job of that compared to the competition.

Even better, Apple wants to make sure that even if they get warrants, they can't decrypt the user data. Access to phone data even with a warrant is in theory not possible right now if you have a pin (everything's encrypted); that's what the CIA/fBI were complaining about.

People can be legally compelled to put their finger on touchid to open it (though this will probably end up at the supreme court and be struck down there), but I expect Apple to have a workaround for this very soon (say, a double swipe puts the phone back in pin mode).

• Reply 38 of 80
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member

You don't know how to use iOS8 ?

To grant access to any or all apps for tracking your location, photos, contacts, etc., just tap "Yes" in the permission popup dialogs.

If you want to share your keystrokes out voluntarily, just allow full access for 3rd party keyboard extensions.

You can also save data to Google Drive and other non-Apple cloud drives for all you want.

Apple doesn't prevent you from revealing your data. They simply provide and enforce a comprehensive data protection framework for all developers to follow strictly.

By default, your privacy is handled with care.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    The USA is not China. I can see not playing ball with the Chinese government. But not playing ball with USA government on averting terror threats is way too negligent in citizen safety

You're right. The US of A is not China; it is WORSE than China.

And people still think most of the NSA's activities concern "anti-terrorism" instead of cheap industrial espionage...spare us the hypocrisy, please...at least the other "evil" governments tell us what is forbidden or undergoes surveillance.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:

If Apple does not want to update iOS to allow for information sharing with governments, my question to Cook would be: would he allow a third-party app in the App Store that will accomplish the same feat? Is he truly an advocate for human rights and personal safety? Let's get to the real bottom of his motives, shall we.

I sincerely hope you're first in line when the American federal government wants to install RFID chips in our bodies for our "protection" of "terrorism" acts.

The American government is not our friend. Our votes and outcries mean nothing. The government will do whatever it pleases, as it's above us in power and actions. Our government has gotten too big, and "We The People" means next to nothing anymore. 

No foil hat needed. The writing is on the wall. If you can't read it, nobody can point it out to you.