Apple has 'several hundred' workers designing new electric car, codenamed 'Titan' - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'll lose all respect for them if they are designing an electric Minivan.

I suspect the minivan is collecting data for the system.

Exactly, can you imagine going in for a service, sitting in the waiting area and having to admit you own the mini van when they say it's ready? :D
  • Reply 62 of 186

Maybe innovator's curse. Their stock is valued on how they can innovate as it is expected. Not just sales.

They need to have something in the pipeline always to tease people.

• Reply 63 of 186
    Like the ideal, really surprised that Apple didn't partner with Tesla on this instead. Hopefully this will work out.
  • Reply 64 of 186
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Why do u think they're using inflatable wheels?

Oh, I’m not. It was a roundabout (and perhaps confusing) way of imagining what Apple would do with an assumed car.

• Reply 65 of 186
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Apple CarPlay in Jeeps finally!

• Reply 66 of 186
    macboy pro wrote: »
    Most importantly the first car without Windows.

Lololololol.... I so HATE Fords lame Sync made by Micro$oft
  • Reply 67 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Samsung will announce it too is working on a car.

Samsung actually has been making cars for years. I saw quite a few of them during my last trip to South Korea. I don't know how much they are involved now, but they started making cars in the 90's. 

• Reply 68 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Lololololol.... I so HATE Fords lame Sync made by Micro$oft

Sync is actually not that bad now. Thankfully Ford finally has ditched Microsoft for Sync 3.

• Reply 69 of 186
    I'll lose all respect for them if they are designing an electric Minivan.

I suspect the minivan is collecting data for the system.

This is why Apple innovates behind closed doors.
  • Reply 70 of 186
    cws wrote: »

But bear in mind that Apple sold 74,000,000 iPhones last quarter.  That's 34,000 every hour of every day.  Tesla sold 11,627 vehicles last quarter, or about as many iPhones as Apple sold every 20 minutes.  There would be no money in making cars for Apple.  And the development costs!  A disaster!

And yet Google and Tesla get nothing but love and adoration for doing R&D on cars.
  • Reply 71 of 186
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Samsung actually has been making cars for years.

And soon…

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT IT’S BIGGER THAT MAKES IT BETTER

• Reply 72 of 186
    I can see it now, I'll buy the pro version, three years later it will be discontinued .... ;)

You'll want to upgrade every 2 years or else sales will drop and Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 73 of 186
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    According to theofficialboad.com Steve Zadesky is VP of iPhone and iPod product design and reports to Jony Ive. He's a mechanical engineer. If this project was just about CarPlay on steriods why would a mechanical engineer be leading the team. And why would Jony Ive's designers be meeting with automotive designers and engineers? This project may never turn into an Apple car but I think it's pretty clear it's about way more than CarPlay or a QNX competitior.

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2j1r3ib.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 74 of 186
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    This sounds like a bunch of BS to me. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If anything, these vans seem like Apple's answer to Google Street View and little else.

Besides, the minivan market is one of the worst segments to enter. It has been shrinking for years as people gravitate towards compact and midsize crossover vehicles.
  • Reply 76 of 186
    "Free reign" is NOT A PHRASE.

It's "free rein". Please hire an editor, guys.
  • Reply 77 of 186
    Originally Posted by Jeff Fields View Post

"Free reign" is NOT A PHRASE.

It's "free rein". Please hire an editor, guys.

Freer Áine.

Yes, I know it’s on-yuh. :p

• Reply 78 of 186

I don't buy this story.  But if it's true, there won't be an announcement for another 4 to 5 years at the earliest.   Developing a car from ground up is not trivial.

• Reply 79 of 186

Yeah, It would be a "mini-van" the way an iPhone is a "cell-phone".

• Reply 80 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

The electric car market is missing a replacement for Suv's which are relative gas guzzlers.

Not for long.