For Apple's revamped photo experience to work, iCloud changes are needed

Comments

• Reply 101 of 161

I am really hesitant of putting all my photos on Apple's servers. I have had many instances of iCloud not syncing my Contacts and Calendars between my desktop and mobile devices. It is usually a nightmare getting things back in sync. Either items get duplicated, or Apple suggests I "restore from backup". Nope, no thanks. 

And with Photos…I regularly edit my photos in iPhoto. iPhoto keeps a copy of the original image and my edited copy. Will the Cloud do this, too? That is one thing that has kept me out of Flickr. (I guess I do not understand Flickr and how it integrates with original and altered photos.)

So, with Apple's iCloud as buggy as personal experience shows, I am very hesitant.

(Oh! and speaking of cloud space…Microsoft just gave me 200 GB for free—at least for the next two years.)

• Reply 102 of 161
    go faster wrote: »
    I think it's time that Apple ditch all the low storage spaced items.. No more 5GB iCloud and no more 16GB iDevices  PERIOD

Look at Google and MS. I have storage with them. 100GB's Why do I need to pay Apple for 20GB?

Apparently you don't need it, and yet you're asking for it.

justbobf wrote: »
    Apple is already making a huge amount of money off all of us. It wouldn't hurt them to make it free.

Based on that rationale, they should give me a free Mac of my choice every year because they have a lot of money. It wouldn't hurt them to give it to me for free.

justbobf wrote: »
    (Oh! and speaking of cloud space…Microsoft just gave me 200 GB for free—at least for the next two years.)

Sounds like you may be able to keep a copy of your iPhoto Library.photolibrary on MS for free, so where is the problem?
  • Reply 103 of 161
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

>>>having it totally free would need a huge investment in storage from apples side and I dont see it as a viable solution.

Apple is already making a huge amount of money off all of us. It wouldn't hurt them to make it free. Either that, or pay their surrogate employees in China more or charge us less. Either way, they are taking way too much money out of our economy.

Apple is taking too much money out of our economy? Wow, that's a fucking new one, considering Apple is the biggest taxpayer in the US, and contributes massive amounts of $$ to the economy. How the **** are they "taking it out"? Cause they manufacture in China? That money was never in this economy in the first place, so they didn't "take it out". 

God this thread is mind-numbing. 

Also love the other comment that "Apple and free never go together". Yeah, it's not like Apple made OSX, iWork, and iCloud free in the past couple years, when these were all previously paid services. Nope. EVERY FUCKING THING MUST BE FREE!!

• Reply 104 of 161
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member

I have 4.5TB's of hard drive space, a 64 gig iPhone and a 64 gig iPad why do I need Apple or anyone else for additional storage space not owned directly by me. Storing your personal files on a companies computer is stupid.

• Reply 105 of 161

Good point and I agree, Apple has a bit more work here.  It needs to be as simple as possible and you should not have to be helping your GF out it should just work.

If I had to guess when they release this now photo program they will also adjust storage plans.  If DB can provide 1TB of storage for $99 a year certainly Apple can do better than the current pricing.

• Reply 106 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh yeah? So how are the "vastly simpler" OneDrive and google Drive handling your iOS backups? Oh wait, they don't? How are they handling all these tasks: https://www.apple.com/ca/support/systemstatus/

?

Oh wait, they don't?

Next time try for a little honesty, instead of sensationalism. No, you didn't stop using iCloud.  You stopped using one tiny aspect of iCloud, and these services don't replace 95% of what iCloud does or can do. Photo and File storage are one small aspect, and although you find them "confusing" they're implemented in a much more integrated way if one is an iOS/OSX user.

Good point, plus the bigger picture is "What is Google doing with my stuff"

• Reply 107 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I also have been using Apple products since before 1984. I also find the entire iCloud photo, music whatever system to be a bit clunky and confusing. I am a tech oriented person and even worked for Apple doing iOS phone support for a while. It is astonishing how many ways people find to mess up their iCloud storage and options. I am amused by some on this thread who think that every iPhone user should be able to set up anything and everything in their phones. That they should be utterly familiar with every aspect of the Settings app. That they should always have the structure of their iCloud storage top of mind so as to be a good Apple user.  I seriously doubt anyone high up at Apple feels that way. Certainly when I was being trained we never considered the aptitude of our customers. We just helped them. Period.

Apple could do more to make iCloud and it's various functions more clear and simple. Honestly I think a fun, clear infographic that gives people a visual concept of where their stuff is would help a lot.

Great comment and we can tell you work for Apple.  Your attitude is why I like apple and I really appreciate the TIP function that they recently introduced.  While I know most of it, I always seem to learn some thing new.

• Reply 108 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

First of all, you're either a bald faced liar, or criminally ignorant about OSX. I'm running Yosemite, and have image capture open right now. It never went anywhere, not for a second. So either you're making shit up to enhance your argument, or you're deeply ignorant as to make everything else in your posts completely invalid. What made you think image capture was gone, and why wouldn't you spend 1 second checking before making that claim? 

The rest of your post is a mess, and completely besides the point. In 2011, the first thing SJ stated when introducing iCloud is that they're not interested in making a "harddrive in the cloud", like everyone else was doing. By design, the focus was on tight integration with Apple hardware, services, and apps, as well as syncing. iCloud was meant to be the backend to get your content seamlessly everywhere, within the apps themselves, without going back to the archaic model of the filesystem. You're bitching that iCloud isn't multiplatform?  Why would Apple be interested in doing that, and why the hell would Apple waste its time cloning what everyone else has? All these services (dropbox, google drive, onedrive) are multi-platform, yet you want Apple to offer the exact same service with no differentiation. Point being?

You're also lying (or again, criminally ignorant) about how you can't access iCloud on a chromebook. iCloud Drive is available from any web browser. So is almost every feature of iCloud, including photos. Small detail, I know. You really are confused. 

iCloud's entire purpose and design has flown so far beyond your head, and your comparisons make it clear you're unable to rationally assess it. It's now gaining more traditional filesystem features, but that was never its focus.

Picasa? Google hasn't updated that application in ages. I know, I use it. Oh, and can Picasa be setup to auto-download (or even show) photos taken with your phone? Nope, but make sure to leave that out of your comparison too. You're stuck using a shitty web-view and loading every photo from a browser if you want to access anything in Google+

You're free to use any of the other 67,982 services on your Apple devices if all you care about is online file storage. Noone is stopping you. The fact is, you can use every single service you mentioned on an iPhone, so you're missing nothing. But your deceit, lies, and ignorance- and pretending to ignore all of iCloud's other exclusive features, is pretty reprehensible. 

Great response, LOL :)

• Reply 109 of 161
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    What a crack up. Buy the fucking storage if you want to store your entire Photo library in the cloud.
  • Reply 110 of 161
    The only thing I can say is that most of the people that bought a 16GB device are getting very annoyed at having constant messages about lack of space. Im sorry if you pay top dollar for an Iphone 6 or 6 Plus and an Ipad air 2...YOU do not expect this to happen. it never did and still does not in other mobile OS

It needs sorting APPLE
  • Reply 111 of 161
    They reached $700 billion market cap value precisely because they are not doing what Google or Microsoft do.

Making products that are so desirable that Apple can't keep up with demand and people can't stop talking about and wanting Apple to compete in other areas? Then I agree.
    "Apple" and "free" never go together.

Exhibit I: “When we work on making our devices accessible by the blind I don’t consider the bloody ROI. […] A lot of things for reasons besides profit motive. We want to leave the world better than we found it.” — Tim Cook

Exhibit II: https://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

Exhibit III: http://www.opensource.apple.com

Exhibit IV: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-yosemite/id915041082?mt=12

-or-

Apple is a for-profit company so at some point the cost of these free things have to folded into the other product areas. But where is Google making money on giving me so much storage I can back up every personal file I've ever had right to them? I'm guessing I'm Google's product, yet I can't see how the blind are Apple's product.
  • Reply 112 of 161
    nantos wrote: »
    The only thing I can say is that most of the people that bought a 16GB device are getting very annoyed at having constant messages about lack of space. Im sorry if you pay top dollar for an Iphone 6 or 6 Plus and an Ipad air 2...YOU do not expect this to happen. it never did and still does not in other mobile OS

It needs sorting APPLE

1) Just as a person with a family of 5 needs to be cognizant enough to know that a 2-seater sports car won't suit his or here needs, a person buying a computer needs to have some idea of how much storage they need. There is a very large percentage of iDevice users that don't take a lot of pictures, don't need to store every picture they ever took on their iDevice, don't ever store music or movies on their iDevice, and don't make stupid comments about how they have to store every song they own on their iDevice. These people just want a great smartphone for some select apps with a phone, web browser, and the device's default options. This fits well within the confines of a 16GB iDevice. If that doesn't suit your needs, that's fine, there are other options for you; that's why they exist.

2) So you're moving the argument from iCloud to local storage. Any particular reason why? Forget it, I don't want to know.
  • Reply 113 of 161
    konqerror wrote: »
    Ever see Apple do any advanced R&D? Fat chance. Look at any company Apple's size. HP Labs, Microsoft Research, Google's work on say quantum computing, Cisco Research Center. Apple= zilch.

Maps: Apple tried to license TomTom data because Navteq, the far superior source, was tied up by Google. Look how well that worked out.

Really well -- Apple maps works for me and I've never had an issue. Apple maps has more users than google maps on iOS. Apple maps now has vector tiles and turn by turn, which Google wouldn't allow. So yeah, it worked out really well.

As for R&D - you don't know what you're talking about. Apple has hired R&D people for both domestic labs and labs in Asia. You have no idea what they're working on.
  • Reply 114 of 161
    pastor_mac wrote: »
    Is it possible part of the IBM alliance was to strengthen the iCloud infrastructure?

No.
  • Reply 115 of 161
    arlor wrote: »
    If you listen to the IRS, Apple has forgotten how to pay actual taxes, too. Hurr hurr.

Irs has never claimed that. Apple is one of the largest US taxpayers if not the. Congress is just pissed about foreign earned money being held offshore.
  • Reply 116 of 161
    nantos wrote: »

It needs sorting APPLE

Oh? So all the other mobile phones back up ALL your OS and content to the cloud? Unlimited?
  • Reply 117 of 161
    iCloud Photos Beta DOES count against your iCloud storage.
  • Reply 118 of 161
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Oh? So all the other mobile phones back up ALL your OS and content to the cloud? Unlimited?

I don't know about all the others, but you get 15 GB of free One Drive storage with any Windows phone that lets you backup OS and content.

• Reply 119 of 161
    Originally Posted by Go Faster View Post

Look at Google and MS. I have storage with them. 100GB's Why do I need to pay Apple for 20GB?

Fine. Go use MICROSOFT PRODUCTS and tell us why you need to pay for literally anything else.

• Reply 120 of 161
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    This article is just great. Been using Apple products for longer than I care to remember but iCloud is a total mystery. The whole photo issue is a mess and since photos are an important aspect of our iDevices I wish they would get the storage issue simplified. We have backups stored all over the place. Photos taken from an iDevices should have an option to automatically be stored on iCloud and yes it should be free. It's so frustrating that it's tempting just to stop using Apple stuff, though that probably won't happen.