Be Friends

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's pretty obvious that the Apple faithful are split down the middle when it comes to OsX. Some love it, others can't stand it and the rest of us are sitting on a fence, waiting with the final judgment, waiting for what Jaguar and other future updates will give us. This is all fine and perfectly natural.

What isn't natural however is that this 'debate' is getting a bit too nasty for my own taste at least. One group accusing the other being nostalgic whiners or zealots licking SJ's arse or what ever. It makes the board more lively and fun to have some people fighting every now and then. I just think it's been a bit over the top lately.

Hopefully we can all agree on respecting each others different perceptions. After all we are a bunch of different people from different walks of life, in different age groups and from different parts of the world. Most of us love Macs some way or another. Let's all make the boards worth coming here and not scare off new members by being to nasty.

Cheers

kelib

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: kelib ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    D3ATH T0 L4M3R OS9 U53R5!!

"Mac OS is dead. Long live Mac OS X!"

Well, you practically asked for it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Are you angling for moderator job by any chance, kelib?

Having said that, I am not bowled over by X. It seems so errrr, clumsy, and it sure ain't snappy. So there.

- T.I.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    To tell the truth I havent seen any of this alleged OS 9/X bashing from anyone. I have my own opions (OS X on my brand new iBook plain and simply sucks) but its not like I go around telling everyone to stop using it.

Some of us are trying to be more realistic about our OS of choice and be critical of it so as to improve on it and MAKE it into the kickass OS its supposed to be.

Many of us have been burned out by Apple's and SJ's RDF once too many times, so I don't blame people who are overly critical for being so. You get more defensive than necessary. Kinda like being colder and harder after the first time you get your heart broken. Since then you get cautious and rarely commit feet first again without being overly cautious. Than again, some just keep going back to getting burned again and again and again... sorry, getting off track here.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There are also different experiences. I've had a relatively good experience with OS X, but then I'm a programmer who has never owned any Adobe product, or Quark, or even Corel. I'm on a G4 desktop (even if it's not exactly the latest and greatest), not a G3 iBook. I've used various UNIXen on and off for almost 20 years, so Terminal is more of an old friend than a strange new thing. And I'm an experienced enough computer user to put up with rough edges.

That's, I think, the most important thing to remember. You like OS X? Cool. What are you running it on? What are you trying to do with it? What, specifically, do you like? You don't like OS X? Cool. What are you running it on? What are you trying to do with it? What, specifically, don't you like?

As long as we let Apple know what the real problems are that we're having, it'll only help.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Neither are windows. Something in favor of each right there.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Different experiences and different opinions are nothing but normal. I just think language like this is a bit over the top:

[quote]Hey ******, after breakfast maybe you can get a surgeon to remove that stick out of your ass. If you don't have anything intelligent to say (and I'm still waiting for the first one), maybe you should keep your mouth shut like a good little weenie............................................ .............................. <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by kelib:

<strong>Different experiences and different opinions are nothing but normal. I just think language like this is a bit over the top:

(quoted reply..)</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is pretty disgusting. But that is very rare, and it's not like we're all responsible for the select few who really take things too far. Anyway, I don't think it was about the OS 9 vs. OS X, but more a personal issue or something that the person who said such a thing took offense to. This can (and does) happen in any kind of discussion, technology-related or not.

But regardless of that, I agree. Some people need to learn to take a deep breath and ask themselves if what they are going to say is really necessary, on-topic, and to some degree civil before they post it. And for those who are inclined to reply to the people who have no self-control, practice tolerance and understanding to these kinds of people, don't just egg them on and make it into a personal feces-throwing contest.