Jony Ive & Angela Ahrendts collaborating on an Apple Store redesign to better showcase Apple Watch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Nothing's changed that matters. Judging by the pictures, these new Apple stores will still be far too brightly lit just like the old ones.

When I buy, I want to view what I'm considering in an environment like that I'll be using it in. That most emphatically isn't with banks of florescent lights overhead. I don't do brain surgery in my home office.

----

Does Apple really think it can repeat the iPod and iPhone phenomenas with the iWatch? If so, they're likely to be disappointed. The former entered a still-new technological arena and did well what others were doing badly. I know, for several years before the iPhone, I was looking for one that did precisely what an iPhone with apps does. All I could find were cell phones that shilled a cell companies for-pay services. Everyone was gushing about how thin the RAZR was. All I could see was that the stupid thing didn't even offer a way to take notes.

The iWatch is entering an arena that's so well-established that its last major event was the wrist watch of about a century ago. The watch is miles beyond a mature technology. Real change is perhaps impossible. Most of the innovations the iWatch seems to offer, such as displaying a pulse rate, are niche markets. Practice a bit and you can learn to take your own pulse in about five seconds the old fashioned way.

If Apple wants to learn how to sell iWatches, they should watch the opening scene to the movie Twelve O'Clock High. An American officer visiting London after WWII buys a hat and praises the store owner for the enjoyable assistance offered.

An expensive men's hat, like an expensive men's watch, shouldn't be treated as a mere gadget and passing fancy. It needs to be sold as a special, life-affirming experience. It needs to be sold as "this demonstrates who you are." You can't do that in a brightly lit store filled with people and gadgets.

Men's hats, we've now forgotten, were once the mark of a man. They told who he was and what his place in society was. To a lesser extent, watches serve a similar role today. I'm not sure Jony Ive and others at Apple quite realize that. They seem stuck on seeing the iWatch as mere fashion, here today and gone tomorrow.

Your post is mostly drivel, but you could at least start with getting the name of the product right. Really, it's not that hard. 

Also, I'm pretty sure noone at Apple "expects" or even hopes, that the Apple Watch will approach the iPhone in sales, but nor does it need to, nor will anything else they could ever produce in the near future. But well done for setting a standard for "disappointment" that Apple does not even expect to achieve. I guess Apple should just give up and liquidate itself, if it can't produce a product that outsells the iPhone.

The way you look at it is also extremely misguided, since the Apple Watch is supposed to complement the iPhone, requires it, and will contribute to increased iPhone sales. It is not meant as a product in a vacumm, but an additional form factor which will further enhance Apple's software ecosystem and make thing stickier. Also, I'm pretty sure Jony "realizes" everything you realize, and more. You seem to accuse him of not respecting the watch's history and traditions, I guess they invited all those horology and timekeeping experts to advise them for fun, as well as hiring executives and designers from watch companies. Before you mock and bash Apple's marketing approach towards the product, maybe wait until they actually market it and it's available for sale. Otherwise, you sound a bit foolish assuming and claiming that you know better how to market the product than they do. 

• Reply 42 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It will also look just like a British police call-box but seem far roomier. I swear to gawd!

So all those engineers they've scuppered from Tesla etc. have been working on a TARDIS!

Revolutionize sales AND transportation in one fell swoop.

#OnlyApple

• Reply 43 of 59
    Dude. I won't buy anything if I have to stand on carpet to do it. In fact ... very comfortable not even going into the store at all.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How small will this store be if it only sells Apple Watches?

There used to be a mini-store at the Stanford Shopping Center, before the current regular Apple Store debuted there. It was small, long and narrow.

That mini-store focused on iPhones and iPods, but did not carry the entire product line. You had to go to the downtown Palo Alto Apple Store (maybe 1.5 miles away) for the full lineup.

It is unlikely such a mini-store would only sell Apple Watches, but it is conceivable that they they would also sell iPhones (Apple's #1 cash cow) and iPads in more of a jewelry store type setting. 

I found a photo of the old Apple mini-store: http://www.gogobot.com/apple-store-stanford-palo-alto-attraction

If I understand correctly, this particular space is now home to Johnny Was, a women's clothing retailer.

The current Apple Store at Stanford occupies the space that was combined from several retail units, including Eddie Bauer, the former location of Victoria's Secret and a stationery store (maybe Papyrus, now on the other side of the mall) at one time.

• Reply 45 of 59

They could have two sections selling the top end Apple watch, one designed by Jonny with stone floors for 'Bankers' and another section designed by Angela for those who need carpet, labeled 'Jodrell Bankers.'

• Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Disappointing? Apple?

Only a true TROLL could put those two words together.

$18,000,000,000 in profit in 3 months.  The most EVER by a public company and you say Apple looks tired and Samsung ( a company who's profit is microscopic in comparison) is looking better.  Give me a break.

In fairness I don't think the original poster meant Apple looks tired, just the specific Apple Store in his neighborhood. Also he observed that the Samsung store-in-a-store was essentially empty while the Apple Store was busy. Apple Stores certainly share easily observed common elements but there is significant variation in the customer experience. I suspect the individual store manager has a lot to do with how customers feel about a specific Apple Store.

• Reply 47 of 59
    You already have to register to pick up an iPhone or iPad ( when new model released) or to see Genius Bar or one to one etc. so they will just have an appointment zone within the store, discreetly but physically segregated from the open floor. To play with an edition watch you'll make a booking and will be ushered into the appointment zone at your allotted time.

Or, maybe the redesign is to allow for room for a car....
  • Reply 48 of 59
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I think many of you are over-thinking this.  While there's many ways Apple could go, I think the most likely scenario is that there's a separate counter with stools where you try on the watches.   Might that be in a new separate area of the store behind glass and be a bit fancier?  Maybe.    I suppose since they're also talking about seating, it's possible that there are some fancy chairs or couches and a sales person works with customers 1-on-1 and brings out trays of watches or something, although that would be far more labor intensive.    Where will the space come from?   My bet is that they reduce the area dedicated to iPods.   It hardly seems necessary to demonstrate an iPod anymore.  

One potential problem is that if one buys a high-end watch today, they can expect it to last for decades.   When one buys a tiny computer, they can expect to replace it within two years.   If I have something I expect to replace within two years, even if I have money, chances are I'm not going to buy a super-expensive "gold" version.   So my bet is that the expensive versions disappear within a year or become a custom special order kind of thing.

I wouldn't mind plush carpet in an Apple store as long as it's maintained.   The stores today have too many hard surfaces and are incredibly noisy.   When Siri was released, I couldn't test it in an Apple store because of the noise.    

• Reply 49 of 59
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Photos or it never happened.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

More blah. I'm glad you love your Samsung store. Please go back to Seoul and collect your paycheck now. I highly doubt your claimed Apple Store experience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

What does that even mean? Tired? I guess you want signs screaming for attention: Look at me, the iPhone 6!!!!

No signage in the front window, for the past couple of weeks now:

WTH?  Seriously, what other Apple Store has no window signage over Valentine's Day?  Who is running this store?  I wonder if Angela Ahrendts knows this is one of the faces of her Apple Stores...

• Reply 50 of 59
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Disappointing? Apple?

Only a true TROLL could put those two words together.

$18,000,000,000 in profit in 3 months.  The most EVER by a public company and you say Apple looks tired and Samsung ( a company who's profit is microscopic in comparison) is looking better.  Give me a break.

Yes, disappointing that a company that is, by any measure, a financial machine, has such buggy releases for OSX 10.10 and iOS 8. Hundreds of staff adds for a self-driving car (if AI is to be believed) but not enough staffing for a proper QA team? How is it even possible that the quality of their software isn't the second most important thing in the world, right behind the quality of their hardware?  SMH

• Reply 51 of 59
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    inkling wrote: »
    Nothing's changed that matters. Judging by the pictures, these new Apple stores will still be far too brightly lit just like the old ones.

When I buy, I want to view what I'm considering in an environment like that I'll be using it in. That most emphatically isn't with banks of florescent lights overhead. I don't do brain surgery in my home office.

----

Does Apple really think it can repeat the iPod and iPhone phenomenas with the iWatch? If so, they're likely to be disappointed. The former entered a still-new technological arena and did well what others were doing badly. I know, for several years before the iPhone, I was looking for one that did precisely what an iPhone with apps does. All I could find were cell phones that shilled a cell companies for-pay services. Everyone was gushing about how thin the RAZR was. All I could see was that the stupid thing didn't even offer a way to take notes.

The iWatch is entering an arena that's so well-established that its last major event was the wrist watch of about a century ago. The watch is miles beyond a mature technology. Real change is perhaps impossible. Most of the innovations the iWatch seems to offer, such as displaying a pulse rate, are niche markets. Practice a bit and you can learn to take your own pulse in about five seconds the old fashioned way.

If Apple wants to learn how to sell iWatches, they should watch the opening scene to the movie Twelve O'Clock High. An American officer visiting London after WWII buys a hat and praises the store owner for the enjoyable assistance offered.

An expensive men's hat, like an expensive men's watch, shouldn't be treated as a mere gadget and passing fancy. It needs to be sold as a special, life-affirming experience. It needs to be sold as "this demonstrates who you are." You can't do that in a brightly lit store filled with people and gadgets.

Men's hats, we've now forgotten, were once the mark of a man. They told who he was and what his place in society was. To a lesser extent, watches serve a similar role today. I'm not sure Jony Ive and others at Apple quite realize that. They seem stuck on seeing the iWatch as mere fashion, here today and gone tomorrow.

They can sell the cheap watches in the normal store and sell the expensive merchandise in a more politely lit environment. In there will be a well dressed man with a clipped british accent who will ask you the minute you walk in "Can I help you sir?" Meaning "I really don't think I can help *you* sir". They always scare me and the rest of the riffraff away.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I think many of you are over-thinking this.  While there's many ways Apple could go, I think the most likely scenario is that there's a separate counter with stools where you try on the watches.   Might that be in a new separate area of the store behind glass and be a bit fancier?  Maybe.    I suppose since they're also talking about seating, it's possible that there are some fancy chairs or couches and a sales person works with customers 1-on-1 and brings out trays of watches or something, although that would be far more labor intensive.    Where will the space come from?   My bet is that they reduce the area dedicated to iPods.   It hardly seems necessary to demonstrate an iPod anymore.  

One potential problem is that if one buys a high-end watch today, they can expect it to last for decades.   When one buys a tiny computer, they can expect to replace it within two years.   If I have something I expect to replace within two years, even if I have money, chances are I'm not going to buy a super-expensive "gold" version.   So my bet is that the expensive versions disappear within a year or become a custom special order kind of thing.

I wouldn't mind plush carpet in an Apple store as long as it's maintained.   The stores today have too many hard surfaces and are incredibly noisy.   When Siri was released, I couldn't test it in an Apple store because of the noise.    

If you think $500 and under is a high end watch... Well, hey! That's less than what the original Ipod cost (accounting for inflation) and it can certainly be used for at least that (and many more things) for more than 2 years ;-).

• Reply 53 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ireland wrote: »
    I have dyslexia and it look me much longer than an hour, but it was a great read. Notice all the occasions car design criticisms arose?

Sorry to hear that. I also have some kind of mental screw up with letters and numbers but mine seems far worse when outputting rather than inputting, I don't seem to have an issue when reading. I read back what i write and often not only do I reverse letters I write sentences with entire sections that sound like Yoda. Frustrated I am. This is why iPads are useless for me on blogs like this, I have far too many corrections to make before posting and it is far too hard with a finger. I cannot use auto correct either as I have so many errors that seem outside the algorithms' scope and the auto correct changes my errors into totally incorrect words.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I have no problems with OSX10.10 and iOS8. get a life.
    What a cruddy attitude.

Lots of people have been disappointed with the quality of some of Yosemite and iOS8s features, without even mentioning some of the glaring deployment errors.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    crowley wrote: »
    What a cruddy attitude.

Lots of people have been disappointed with the quality of some of Yosemite and iOS8s features, without even mentioning some of the glaring deployment errors.

So his anecdotal evidence isn't as good as yours? I suspect your are far more off base though. Of course, if all the Pollilop users complained there would still be far less complaints than iOS 8 wouldn't there .... ;)
  • Reply 56 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ^
    His anecdotal evidence is fine. His telling people to "get a life" for having a different experience is not.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

a few open displayed demo watches and with a carpeted seating area

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There's nothing like walking on plush, luxury carpet.

Nothing says low-end like carpet.  Not to mention it is impossible to keep clean because it traps dirt and bacteria and always has a dingy scent.  Shampooing the carpet only exacerbates the problem by creating a stuffy, humid, and sticky environment that reeks of wet dogs (even if you don't have pets).  

• Reply 58 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

a few open displayed demo watches and with a carpeted seating area

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There's nothing like walking on plush, luxury carpet.

Nothing says low-end like carpet.  Not to mention it is impossible to keep clean because it traps dirt and bacteria and always has a dingy scent.  Shampooing the carpet only exacerbates the problem by creating a stuffy, humid, and sticky environment that reeks of wet dogs (even if you don't have pets).  

Soo, If I read you right, that's a "no" on the carpet?? What would you say if we just flocked the floor?