Piper Jaffray sees a revamped Apple TV set-top box being core of Apple's fall 2015 products

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    I'll grant Gene that a TV set may have been considered at one point. But I don't see it fitting into Apple's new path forward. They're not making car radios, they're doing CarPlay and leaving the HW to others. They're not making home accessories, they're making HomeKit. Why make a TV set when you could make TVKit?

Why make an OS when you could make a computer?

Why make an OS when you could make a phone?

Why make an OS when you could make an iPad?

Are you getting it now?

People who really care about software make their own hardware. People who really care about the pips make their own apple. People who really care about their apples grow their own apple tree.
  • Reply 102 of 105
    sockrolid wrote: »

In the short term, I think WatchKit is another way for Apple to add value to iPhone.  The number crunching and internet connectivity are handled by the iPhone.  The ?Watch acts as a remote display, remote controller, and perhaps most importantly a remote Siri mic.  It's a natural fit, and it makes using your iPhone even easier.  No need to drag it out of your pocket for many simple tasks, phone calls, etc.

In the longer term, I think Apple is probably going to use the iPhone to drive additional devices.  CarPlay for example: the computing is done on the iPhone itself (with some Siri requests sent to Apple's servers, of course.)  The CarPlay touchscreen is kind of like a big ?Watch display.  And, to me anyway, ?Watch and CarPlay feel like the next step beyond simple AirPlay to ?TV.  Because of the touchscreens.  The average home TV doesn't have a touchscreen, and may never have one.  Too far away.

So what's next after CarPlay and ?Watch?  How about a massively expanded ?TV home entertainment experience?  Not just the hockey puck and probably not an Apple television set.  Complete control of your home entertainment environment.  As in "Hey Siri, show me the first episode of Better Call Saul.  With surround sound, not the built-in TV speakers.  Then ask me if I want to sign up for the series.  Room lights at 40 percent.  And close the blinds."

You forgot "make me a sandwich!" Lol.

And "Bring me a beer." ????
  • Reply 103 of 105
    mubaili wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    I guess he's moved on from TV sets. Now he's pimping augmented reality and says that's the next big thing from Apple.
    I do wish the rumor about Apple getting into car business turns out to be true.

I don't.

I just want them to fix some bugs.
  • Reply 104 of 105

I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility that Apple might do both: produce an updated, super-de-duper ATV as the premier product with higher resolution, apps, etc., and shrink the current capabilities of the existing ATV into a USB thingy for the basic connection to iTunes and streaming services.

Sounds plausible.
  • Reply 105 of 105
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Apple have always been a hardware company and will continue to be. The all-important software is given away free. That's why you won't see WatchKit on any third party watches.

Similarly for TV. Unless Apple can see a way to market a significant volume of Apple branded TV related hardware then they're unlikely to put a lot of effort into it. That requires either a subscription service or better content access via iTunes. But who needs a subscription service that locks you into one brand when pretty much all content is already available legally by both subscription and pay-per-view elsewhere?

That doesn't mean it won't happen, it just means that they haven't yet figured out how to achieve customer lock-in on TV.

Nonsense, Apple are a solutions integrator (hardware/software/services). Much of their hardware is premium off-the-shelf with some proprietary IP to hold it together& most of their advantage actually comes from software.