Apple scrapped advanced Apple Watch health monitoring features due to reliability issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Jony Ive said this was the most difficult project he's ever worked on at Apple so this news isn't surprising.

9to5Mac decided to go with this clickbait headline: WSJ: Apple struggled to find purpose for Apple Watch after many planned health features were cut

Of course the WSJ story does not say that...

Wow that's embarrassing for 9-5.

• Reply 42 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazar View Post

This stuff isnt reliable in hospitals, with a hospital's budget.

You're comparing a hospital's budget to Apple's budget and you think you're making a point?

• Reply 43 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I suggest you duct tape or superglue a [waterproof] watch onto your existing pH meter. :-)

Hmmmm... which made me think that a bluetooth ph probe would be the way to go.

Gardeners everywhere would buy something like that if it was accurate enough. Current ph meters are lousy until you hit the $300 mark.

• Reply 44 of 86

ill stick with my incredible Scandu Scout for reading temperature and BP for now - but i'm sure the cuff-less BP system will use the same sort of technology assuming the reading is possible on a wrist (or have it using the edge of the way you press up towards your forehead in a matter of seconds) I suspect they licensed the tech from them. 

• Reply 45 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You can do that with your phone. And that's not a functionality of the watch, it's third party functionality that's readily available.

I don't care who puts it on the watch... the ability to have various bluetooth probes that connect to software on the watch would be indispensable. If you ever gardened you'd know that pulling a phone out of your pocket is impossible when your hands are covered in mud. Current instruments suck until you get into the $300 range... so the Apple Wrist Computer would be perfect for something like that.

• Reply 46 of 86
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazar View Post

One important study showed that stress is GOOD as long as YOU THINK it is good! The frame of reference being your perception made all the difference.

A watch that reminds you that stress is bad is POINTLESS! It should say, great work, your stress is making you live longer. In other words you dont need a stress sensor... Ever. You would almost always make he wrong biofeedback and make the problem worse by inducing worry.

I'm one of those who responds well to stress. I wondered (on this site) whether Apple would have further functionality in the ?Watch before release, I wondered about spectrometry for example. This report addresses some of my queries.

• Reply 47 of 86
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I don't care who puts it on the watch... the ability to have various bluetooth probes that connect to software on the watch would be indispensable. If you ever gardened you'd know that pulling a phone out of your pocket is impossible when your hands are covered in mud. Current instruments suck until you get into the $300 range... so the Apple Wrist Computer would be perfect for something like that.
    You want to be wearing a $$$ ?Watch when your hands are covered in mud?
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

You want to be wearing a $$$ ?Watch when your hands are covered in mud?

Better than grabbing a $$$ iPhone when covered in mud... but your point is one of the reasons why I think uptake will be slow at first.

• Reply 49 of 86
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

This could be a good thing in the end.

Focus on one thing only and do it very very well: Intelligent Time. For it is a watch after all?

As with the iPhone, developers will come up with uses Apple would never have imagined.

But first, make sure you got a hell of a Timepiece.

• Reply 50 of 86
    Apple Watch%u2019s 1st generation is a curated version of something that will evolve over the years to come. Exactly as the original iPhone did. This is the simple truth, everything else is just media opportunism, as usual.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

This is one reason I generally won't buy a first generation product!!!  You have issues that never make it to the final version.  After you have a larger group using the product, you can hear Pro's and Con's on it and make the next generation version even better.   My first iPhone wasn't until the iPhone 4.  my first iPad wasn't until the iPad 3 (I kind of got suckered there with the iPad 4 6 months later!!!) and my Apple TV's are all 3's.  

I just don't see Apple selling Apple Watches in the numbers they think.  Most everyone I know has a iPhone and yet not one of them have said they plan to get a Apple Watch.   I look at the dying Watch market and I don't see Apple changing that.  I sure don't wear a watch enough to buy one.  When I do, I'll grab my nice Classy Normal watch I got as a graduation gift 20+ years ago!!!   You'll be lucky to get 4-6 years out of a Smart Watch.

• Reply 52 of 86
    The photoplethysmograph sensor on ?Watch is theoretically capable of measuring several parameters aside from heart rate and heart rate variability:
    [LIST]
    [*] blood glucose
    [*] blood pressure
    [*] blood pressure variability
    [*] hemodynamic status (hydration variability)
    [*] oxygen saturation
    [*] respiration rate
    [/LIST]

These methods have all been demonstrated albeit often poorly even in optimum conditions (minimal motion, near-optimal placement, minimal impedance).
  • Reply 53 of 86
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's good to see Apple Insider preparing the Apple faithful for this disappointment.

I, too, have been gently hinting at the letdown that awaits.

If you call self-indulgent whining on every thread "gently" then yup, I guess so.

I've been meaning to ask: did Tim Cook slap your puppy or something?

• Reply 54 of 86
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Jony Ive said this was the most difficult project he's ever worked on at Apple so this news isn't surprising.

9to5Mac decided to go with this clickbait headline: WSJ: Apple struggled to find purpose for Apple Watch after many planned health features were cut

Of course the WSJ story does not say that. What I find so amusing with the responses to this story is when the device was announced I don't remember many, if any, wondering where all these sensors were. Sure there were complaints about battery life and no GPS but I don't remember much discussion of these advanced sensors at all. I remember seeing one rumor that claimed the device would come with 10 sensors and most people dismissed it as not being possible, especially anything that might require FDA approval. Now everyone is aghast because the device might launch without these advanced sensors?

Apple's hires in the medical and fitness fields happened in earnest in 2013. I find it highly improbable that in less than a year they would be able to deliver on some very complex stuff, stuff that is very important to get right. Should Apple have waited to release ?Watch until thaf stuff was ready? Maybe. But then Android Wear would be on its 3rd or 4th generation and Apple would definitely be behind in terms of developer support. If companies waited until producfs were perfect to release them nothing would ever be released.

I think a lot of people made stuff up, and when the watch actually appeared, sensible folk weren't surprised that it didn't have a blood sugar monitor built into the back and it didn't fold time and space.

We're seeing the same nonsense with the supposed automotive project. In a few months time, "sources close to the project" will claim that Apple has cracked the temporal engine and that the AppleCar will get you to your destination before you actually leave.

• Reply 55 of 86
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

How many smart watches and fitness bands are waterproof? I know the Microsoft Band isn't. And as long as ?Watch has a retina color display it won't be getting a week or more battery life anytime soon.

One more thing it can't do.

So Apple's new standard is whether or not anybody else is doing more than they are?

I seriously thought about getting one for my mom, since she wears watches, likes technology, and would get a kick out of some of the tricks it can do, plus it would give us piece of mind with her health and safety. Then I realized she most likely wouldn't remember to charge it every night, and even if she did, how useful would it be to her on the charging stand if she got up in the middle of the night and fell in the bathroom? 

• Reply 56 of 86
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Apple executives wanted to produce a cutting edge health-monitoring tool, one capable of measuring a user's blood pressure, heart rate, stress level and more, said people familiar with the matter.

While polished and presented in a slick package, Apple Watch is powered by technology on a par with competing devices running flavors of Android.

A fitness device without GPS, a health device with no more advanced features than competing products, a few hours battery with heavy use, glitchy wake from standby, launching months after competing products and we've discovered Newson worked on the Watch from the beginning. He designed these:

300 300

300 300

That company went bankrupt. The other staff at Apple were against the idea of the Watch, they hired Kevin Lynch the Flash guy from Adobe for the software rather than their existing team and now they plan to shake up the retail stores to accommodate it.

Jony gave some explanations for the design choices - offsetting the crown dial so it broke the convention of the legacy watch while retaining functional familiarity, rectangular design for lists etc. but they tried to hide the rectangle edges with vignetting to try and get the display to blend in more with the watch. So many parts of the development here seem wrong. Tim said they mulled over a variety of projects and this was the one they settled on.

It's better doing a new project than Apple doing no new projects and it'll make money because it's linked to Apple but none of this sounds good about what's happening behind the scenes.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

A fitness device without GPS, a health device with no more advanced features than competing products, a few hours battery with heavy use, glitchy wake from standby, launching months after competing products and we've discovered Newson worked on the Watch from the beginning. He designed these:

That company went bankrupt. The other staff at Apple were against the idea of the Watch, they hired Kevin Lynch the Flash guy from Adobe for the software rather than their existing team and now they plan to shake up the retail stores to accommodate it.

Jony gave some explanations for the design choices - offsetting the crown dial so it broke the convention of the legacy watch while retaining functional familiarity, rectangular design for lists etc. but they tried to hide the rectangle edges with vignetting to try and get the display to blend in more with the watch. So many parts of the development here seem wrong. Tim said they mulled over a variety of projects and this was the one they settled on.

It's better doing a new project than Apple doing no new projects and it'll make money because it's linked to Apple but none of this sounds good about what's happening behind the scenes.

Agree, the interface is horrible. Especially the bubbly home screen. It just seems very awkward to navigate. But this is something that could be easily fixed in a software update.

I don't understand why you think the hardware development has gone wrong?: There's nothing wrong with hiding the rectangular edges with vignetting? It actually has inspired the design team to get rid of the chamfered edges of the iPhone 6.

The thing that does seem to go wrong is focus. It sounds like they are not convinced of the functionality of a watch as they want it to be all sort of things that are "gonna change your life".

Well, Time is a Life changer.

Unlike money you cannot make Time.

It is a limited precious resource to every one of us.

So, better focus on that ...

It is not too late ;)

• Reply 58 of 86
    Marvin wrote: »
    A fitness device without GPS, a health device with no more advanced features than competing products, a few hours battery with heavy use, glitchy wake from standby, launching months after competing products and we've discovered Newson worked on the Watch from the beginning.

1) Huh? Most fitness trackers don't have GPS.

2) ?Watch has a lot more advanced features than competing products.

3) The current talk is all day battery life. Where have you read it's only a few hours with heavy use?

4) How would you know wake from standby is glitchy?

5) So? Apple almost always launches months, years and even decades (as in the case of the iPad), after other companies come to market.

6) Why is Newson now a liability for ?Watch.

7) That post doesn't sound like your typical reasoned comment so I re-read it several times to make sure I'm ™ getting your context correct before replying. Did I read it right?
  • Reply 59 of 86
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

The health watch concerned me too. 

I'm sure lawyers were waiting for it to give them an other income opportunity.

Good decision Apple, let Samsung get into that sink hole !

• Reply 60 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Marvin wrote: »

300 300

300 300

Who was against the idea of the watch? Do you have a source/quote? And according to Rene Ritchie Kevin Lynch is very well liked at Apple and supposedly doing a great jobs. Are we supposed to forever banish him in hell because he once supported Flash at Adobe? Good grief.