Rumor: Apple to add Touch ID to Retina MacBook Air as well as future Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2015
Apple may be planning an expansion of its Touch ID fingerprint authentication technology to its portable computers and peripherals in advance of a larger Apple Pay rollout, according to a Tuesday report out of Taiwan.

The forthcoming 12-inch MacBook Air -- which is widely believed to include a high-resolution Retina display and vastly-reduced I/O -- could also sport a Touch ID sensor positioned above its trackpad, Taiwanese Apple blog AppleCorner believes, citing supply chain sources. In addition, the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad may be updated to include the biometric functionality.

That could be a prelude to making Apple Pay available for payments on the web, the blog said. Currently, Apple Pay can only be used for in-store transactions via NFC or as part of the checkout process for iOS apps.

Such an expansion would put Apple Pay in direct competition with web checkout providers like PayPal and Amazon Payments, while opening a major new market. PayPal, currently an eBay subsidiary, is preparing to separate from the online auction giant in part to streamline operations as it gears up to battle with Apple and Google in the digital wallet space.

While the veracity of these rumors is impossible to determine, AppleCorner does have a relatively good track record when it comes to peeking into Apple's Asian supply chain. Last year, the blog published parts that it claimed were for the then-unannounced iPad Air 2, which later turned out to be genuine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Would've thought the power button would be the better place to put it.
  • Reply 2 of 57

What I really want to know is if the iCar will have touch ID.

• Reply 3 of 57
    They should really build this into the keyboard as well. That way it is easy access to this function when you have a wireless keyboard and iMac, Apple TV, or Mini...also would be easier for those who have wireless keyboard and iPad set ups as well.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    sog35 wrote: »
    awesome. hate typing passwords

Current law would disfavor the use of Touch ID, unless also used in combination with a password, for any who are seriously concerned about data protection. Touch ID is convenient for Apple Pay, however.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Boom! There it is.
    That will be an awesome retrofit of all Macs with the Magic mouse and TrackPad.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Current law would disfavor the use of Touch ID, unless also used in combination with a password, for any who are seriously concerned about data protection. Touch ID is convenient for Apple Pay, however.
    Law? What do you mean, law?
  • Reply 7 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The ONLY way to integrate ?Pay into a new Apple portable computer like the rMBA is to make the entire trackpad a Touch ID Trackpad. That's the Apple-way and that's what needs to happen. Apple is thankfully run by marketing and design and then it's engineering's problem to figure out how to make it work. Let's hope Ive and Schiller won't add Touch ID to any Mac notebook until this is feasible for them. The last thing people who care about humans and design want is an ufly, additional, sensor added to their computer. People spend the majority of their notebook use touching that trackpad and that's the inevitable place for any Mac Touch ID sensor.
  • Reply 8 of 57

Yea! Not surprising at all. Exactly as I wished for (and quasi-predicted) a few months ago! (I remember being blown off by a bunch of curmudgeons/naysayers here....)

?This is the sort of thing that will make ApplePay HUGE. And take AAPL to the next level. 

• Reply 9 of 57
    crowley wrote: »

Heard them mentioning this on the AI podcast. Yuck!
  • Reply 10 of 57
    thetorrey wrote: »
    What I really want to know is if the iCar will have touch ID.

That would be awesome. Or just keep your iPhone in your pocket or your ?Watch on your wrist and simple open the door or walk away.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

Not on an iMac/MacPro. Even on a laptop the power button isn't a normal place to rest your finger, so it isn't worth the extra engineering to integrate them.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Just hurry up and release them already. My daughters need them for school and I hate the idea of buying a current Macbook Air when a new model is coming (unless there's a price drop).
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Law? What do you mean, law?

You really don't know?
  • Reply 14 of 57
    You really don't know?
    Genuinely not sure what you're talking about. What law is there that affects TouchID and use of passwords?
  • Reply 15 of 57
    iaeen wrote: »
    Not on an iMac/MacPro. Even on a laptop the power button isn't a normal place to rest your finger, so it isn't worth the extra engineering to integrate them.
    Good point about the iMac and MacPro, but again I'd say making it a part of the keyboard, in a position analagous to the power button on the MacBooks would be the best bet. I'm not sure why you'd want it to be placed somewhere that's a "normal place to rest your finger"? Surely you'd want unlocking or paying to be a deliberate action?
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Genuinely not sure what you're talking about. What law is there that affects TouchID and use of passwords?

Fingerprints aren't currently protected by the Fifth Ammendment like passwords are.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    ^
    Oh right, gotcha.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

Fingerprints aren't currently protected by the Fifth Ammendment like passwords are.

That would be an interesting legal battle because Touch ID and other biometrics don't absolve passwords they just add another layer of authentication much like a keyboard is generally required to input said password. 

• Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

You guys are so cute to think your laws matter. I think your government has proven nothing is off-limits to them. Ask for permission when you get caught is their policy. Denial is another great one.

• Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Heard them mentioning this on the AI podcast. Yuck!

Hopefully it won't look like shit if true - otherwise, imagine implementing a visible circle on the Magic Mouse's surface - absolutely terrible.