Apple Inc Campus 2, Phase 2 plans R&D facilities big enough to design a car

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

And on weekends they use the parking area in the main building as a windtunnel?

• Reply 22 of 76
    rogifan wrote: »
    They were talking about this on CNBC this morning with their Autos expert confirming that his sources say Apple is doing something in the automotive field. His thinking was Apple developing the software for existing vehicles. I could maybe see that happening if they partnered with Tesla. But what other auto manufacturer is going to give Apple complete control over their dashboard? And unless Apple has complete control we just have another CarPlay bandaid solution. I'm very skeptical that the likes of Honda, Toyota, BMW, Audi, VW, etc. are going to hand over their dashboard to Apple.

"Hand over"??? What? LOL. They sell cars, not dashboards.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland wrote: »
    Anyone else think the name Apple Campus 2 is a terribly underwhelming name for one of the coolest buildings ever to be built?

The Eiffel Tower
    The Empire State Building
    Campus 2 ?

Yeah, you're right. Too bad the word "torus" isn't very sexy, like, say, "pyramid" or "sphinx." Hey, how about "sphincter"? I think it just means "ring."
  • Reply 24 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yeah, you're right. Too bad the word "torus" isn't very sexy, like, say, "pyramid" or "sphinx." Hey, how about "sphincter"? I think it just means "ring."

Quote:
    a ring of muscle surrounding and serving to guard or close an opening or tube, such as the anus or the openings of the stomach.

They need a cool catchy name like Air Force One, even 2 Infinite Loop would be better than Campus 2, but that's taken.

• Reply 25 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

They were talking about this on CNBC this morning with their Autos expert confirming that his sources say Apple is doing something in the automotive field. His thinking was Apple developing the software for existing vehicles. I could maybe see that happening if they partnered with Tesla. But what other auto manufacturer is going to give Apple complete control over their dashboard? And unless Apple has complete control we just have another CarPlay bandaid solution. I'm very skeptical that the likes of Honda, Toyota, BMW, Audi, VW, etc. are going to hand over their dashboard to Apple.

Apple is designing an autonomous vehicle but it also working on a backend system that will dispatch a fleet of these vehicles.

Apple is not looking to sell you a car. It wants to sell fleets of vehicles mainly to cities and provide the backend services that make for a wonderful user experience.

Think mini-bus meets ? Black Car service.

Apple has a completely different strategy from Tesla and other car manufacturers.

Their goal is to sell more vehicles.

Apple's goal is to reduce our dependence on personal vehicles by creating an autonomous mass-transit system you want to use.

• Reply 26 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

No car. In-dash hardware and software.

Right and wrong.

Apple is not building a car.

They are building a mass-transit vehicle.

Imagine a mini-van with two sliding doors on both sides.

Some of the seats are separated into a self contained pod for those who are traveling alone and prefer not to interact with other passengers.

Some of the seats are configured for those traveling in groups or families.

• Reply 27 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Perhaps Apple will contract the car itself and slip "their" dashboard into it. That leaves the electronic systems to Apple while the mechanicals are the original car manufacturers. So some one like VW get's to be the Apple car "FoxCon"...

• Reply 28 of 76
    The most cool thing about the new Apple Space ship campus is the fact that it is designed to move. Sure it is only supposed to move 4.5 feet in any direction, but all those orange colored squares early in the over fly of the central building are huge ball bearings designed to allow the building to move in the event of an earthquake.

No this is not a star ship Enterprise, but damn it is still cool. Those preformed pieces of concrete that are being placed over the ball bearing dampers are a new type being used in England to build bridges that are going to last 300 years rather than 150 standard for current designs.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apple is designing an autonomous vehicle but it also working on a backend system that will dispatch a fleet of these vehicles.

Apple is not looking to sell you a car. It wants to sell fleets of vehicles mainly to cities and provide the backend services that make for a wonderful user experience.

Apple has a completely different strategy from Tesla and other car manufacturers.

Apple's goal is to reduce our dependence on personal vehicles by creating an autonomous mass-transit system you want to use.

In other words: electric based, autonomous, ride share. Better sell ZipCar (and Uber). With something like 80% of Americans living in urban areas that's a logical step for some one... 

• Reply 30 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

The most cool thing about the new Apple Space ship campus is the fact that it is designed to move. Sure it is only supposed to move 4.5 feet in any direction, but all those orange colored squares early in the over fly of the central building are huge ball bearings designed to allow the building to move in the event of an earthquake.

No this is not a star ship Enterprise, but damn it is still cool. Those preformed pieces of concrete that are being placed over the ball bearing dampers are a new type being used in England to build bridges that are going to last 300 years rather than 150 standard for current designs.

IIRC those slip foundations are sliding surfaces and not "ball bearings".

• Reply 31 of 76
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Here's some interesting iCar concepts from 2012:

http://www.carscoops.com/2012/11/apple-igo-is-design-study-for.html?m=1
  • Reply 32 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Here's some interesting iCar concepts from 2012:

http://www.carscoops.com/2012/11/apple-igo-is-design-study-for.html?m=1

That is a really interesting link and gets a lot things right and a lot of things wrong.

As I said in an earlier post...

Some of the seats are separated into a self contained pod for those who are traveling alone and prefer not to interact with other passengers.

• Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Interesting that you say this. I ran across this video yesterday from Apple's friends Foster and Partners where the head of their urban design group talks about exactly what you seem to be talking about. He goes over urban density patterns and challenges for most of it; for the car part, skip to 13:50. I'm not a fan of the design, but it's an interesting concept:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

Thanks for that info, fascinating! If you have any more, please share.

• Reply 34 of 76

That is a really interesting link and gets a lot things right and a lot of things wrong.

How is it you know this to be a fact and no one else does? It seems to me that those that are reciting the "Apple is making a mini-van" rumour are only seeing the Dodge Caravan's being used by Apple. Are you assuming they would be using sports cars if they were making a self-driving sports car? Why can't the data they get from their mounts be used across the board on any automobile? It seems most likely to me that the Dodge Caravan was chosen because of it's all around driving comfort, interior space, wheelbase, large and mostly flat roof, and price points.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Love how the car in one of the "architectural drawings" has a Tesla logo...

If Apple really were building a car, it would be a really good car that I couldn't afford. I'm in camp "car software", not camp "car hardware".
  • Reply 36 of 76
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cpsro wrote: »
    The torus is to contain a circular racetrack.
    Nonsense, it's a giant Rollerball arena!
  • Reply 37 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It's not underground parking, it's a secret test track! /s
  • Reply 38 of 76

That does not sound like Apple at all.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Well, one thing about Apple potentially getting into the automobile industry is that Apple has a habit of building one or two models in a product category and offering only a few dimensions of customizability, and picking product categories that sell in very large volumes.  All this allows Apple huge economies of scale in procuring components and manufacturing capabilities.  And that allows Apple to earn much higher margins versus its competition.  There's nothing I can see about the automobile market that couldn't meet these criteria to allow Apple to achieve significant margins.  So..., even if the rumors are baseless, it certainly makes sense that Apple would consider an entry into the global automobile market.

• Reply 40 of 76

Good God please stop repeating this nonsense.