5M+ Apple Watch units to be built for launch, 18k gold 'Edition' could be Apple's most expensive pro

Comments

• Reply 81 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I would not be surprised to see their S-series SIP to be upgradable since it's all enclosed. Perhaps even the sensors on the bottom will be upgradable, too. This would allow the same style device to become even more useful which could create a market of repeat customers being a new model ?Watch every year knowing they can always get many, many years of the latest HW features in their device with a quick visit and reasonable fee to, say, an Authorize ?Watch Repair store at a jewelry store in a mall, where watch battery replacements are typically performed.

I could definitely see them trying to make the watch collectible. Every year has a different looking shell, so people who are into watches will buy one every year. Then for the people who don't have that kind of money, and would be put out at their watch becoming obsolete, pay a flat fee to swap out the guts of your old watch for this year's internals.

• Reply 82 of 125
    eightzero wrote: »
    Well...The last few upgrades I've gotten for my Mac were all free. I think I got it with 10.5 installed, and haven't paid for an upgrade all the way to Yosemite.

Ummm.... I was talking about hardware upgrades. :)
  • Reply 83 of 125
    fuzzypaws wrote: »
    I could definitely see them trying to make the watch collectible. Every year has a different looking shell, so people who are into watches will buy one every year. Then for the people who don't have that kind of money, and would be put out at their watch becoming obsolete, pay a flat fee to swap out the guts of your old watch for this year's internals.

Personally, I see that as the best way of maximizing the interest and sales of ?Watch in both the short and long-term. I firmly believe this was at least something they tried very, very hard to do, although at this point we certainly not idea if that will be the case or not.

Perhaps that's what Ive meant by this being the hardest project of his career. Think about it: How can something be a long-lasting piece of jewelry you'll want to wear and cherish many years from now, as well as a consumer electronic that typically has a short usage life in the grand scope of one's life? To me, that's always been the biggest hurdle to a proper wearable… and I surely hope Apple was able to find a proper middle ground.
  • Reply 84 of 125
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Cool! A $3,000 device that will be bulky, outdated, non upgradeable, and basically useless within 6 months.

With a half day battery life.
  • Reply 85 of 125
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Who is?
  • Reply 86 of 125
    Mmm ...

Something I haven't seen/heard discussed:

So, Apple is prepping 5M+ Apple Watches for the initial build/release ...

I wonder, how many extra Apple Watch [B][I] Bands .. .[/I][/B] And how much they will cost.

My grandkids go through, on average, a new iPhone case every 2 - 3 months ... and they pay for themselves with allowances and chore earnings.

How many Apple Watch Bands will a typical user buy ... How frequently ..

What is Apple's margin?
  • Reply 87 of 125

Greed on the cases, but I haven't seen people speculating too much as to what the prices will be? Yes we know &349 is the starting price, but there are two sizes, so whats the larger sport going to be? $379 and sapphire $449 and $479 for standard bands if you want the link bracelet how much more will that be $549? I could see myself having a sport band and possible the link bracelet if its not outrageous. I am very curious to find out all that does or will do, and to try it on, before i purchase.

• Reply 88 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I seriously doubt the gold edition will cost more than a top end Mac Pro .... unless of course Jony has had each one carved out of a solid block of gold on a dedicated CNC machine ... come to think of it he probably has ... OK I take that back, it could well cost more than a high end Mac Pro. image

I concur, A top end Mac Pro with all the bells and whistles is right now $9599.00.  I highly doubt the watch even the gold edition will be that high.  I would believe 5k but not 10k.

• Reply 89 of 125
    solipsismy wrote: »
    PS - I took him up on his bet.

1) Only you? Because he mentioned trolls, and you're not a troll.

2) I think the odds are in your favour because 15M units is 20% higher than the iPad units, which is the fastest selling CE ever sold, and this is still very much an accessory device. That said, I do hope you lose, in so far ?Watch is a huge success.

* Technically the iPad then couldn't be initially set up without a "PC", but I wouldn't say it's the same scenario, since it could include both Macs and WinPCs.

No.

The iPad sold over 15 million units in its first year.
  • Reply 90 of 125
    solipsismy wrote: »
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Well, seems you must live in a very special place then (Silicon Valley ?) cause it sold not that much initially. Were those people lying? ;-). I only really heard about it months later, the second version, the Iphone 2G, had lots more buzz from my perspective in Canada.

It's a memory of an anecdotal report so who knows if it's accurate or not, but I seem to recall that most seemed highly interested in the iPhone, but very few were wanting to buy it back then. It had '3G' or copy/paste or physical keyboard or a slew of other requirements to compete with real smartphones like the Blackberry. Most seemed like it was a neat idea but they weren't going to jump in to buy one.

Let's remember they only sold 270,000 units in the first quarter and it took them over a year to sell 6 million units, which included opening up to several other countries that were the other biggest Apple buyers at the time, as well as dropping the price substantially, giving a refund to early adopters, dropping the 4GB model and then adding a 16GB model mid-cycle. If people seriously look back on the iPhone release the business side of their endeavor was not a perfect execution, and yet today we have some on this site that are saying if they don't sell 10 million units in the first year it will be a disappointment and proof that gay people aren't fit for society.

No.

The iPhone sold over 10 million units in its first year.
  • Reply 91 of 125
    pmz wrote: »

Its the single greatest iPhone accessory ever made. The approximate market size is 400-500 million active users.

They will sell every single Apple Watch they can produce in 2015.

That may well be true... but it still doesn't change the fact that I (or the other person) haven't heard anyone saying that they are interested in it.

Now, you both have heard from someone (I use my real name, here) that intends to buy 5 -- one for each member of our household!

We all have iPhones (5 and above) and iPads (2 and above).

The Apple Watch will have the ability to notify family when any of us is in danger -- excessive or no pulse rate.

That, alone, justifies the Apple Watch!

In 2001, my wife died suddenly, unexpectedly -- while I was less than 40 feet away in the computer room ...

I can see why you want the Apple Watch. Your love for her shines through.
  • Reply 92 of 125
    Mmm ...

Something I haven't seen/heard discussed:

So, Apple is prepping 5M+ Apple Watches for the initial build/release ...

1) I think AI had an article on it. (I'll see if I can find it¡)

2) Don't we usually see those pre-built numbers as being for the initial weekend sales, not for an entire quarter or year? If that's the case does $5MM for a weekend seem drainer for an iPhone accesspry starting at $350? For comparison, the iPhone 4S first weekend sales only topped 4 million. The only way I can see that as feasible is if Apple is counting to flood an excesive amount of new channels from Newley stores to clothing stores to department stores to sporting good stores so that ?Watch is everywhere like with Swatch Group watches.
  • Reply 93 of 125
    It will be hilarious when people spend more than $4000 on a watch only to find out they are allergic to it
  • Reply 94 of 125

Mr Me, the title of the story is "5M+ Apple Watch units to be built for launch, 18k gold 'Edition' could be Apple's most expensive product ever"  That is what I was commenting about. It does in fact say "most expensive product ever".

• Reply 95 of 125
    It will be hilarious when people spend more than $4000 on a watch only to find out they are allergic to it

Not a big deal, return it. But it does bring up an interesting question: Do other watch vendors have restocking fees? Will Apple for this sole product category?
  • Reply 96 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Read with comprehension.

The OP does not claim that the Apple Watch will be the most expensive Apple product ever. It says that the Watch will be "among the most expensive" and that it "could" exceed the most expensive product in Apple's current product line. Reminding us that Apple offered computer models priced at $10,000 does nothing to falsify the OP.

Mr Me, the title of the story is "5M+ Apple Watch units to be built for launch, 18k gold 'Edition' could be Apple's most expensive product ever"  That is what I was commenting about. It does in fact say "Apple's most expensive product ever".  I don't understand what you are complaining about.

• Reply 97 of 125
    Let's not forget the Lisa. It was $10K way back in 1983. Adjust that baby for inflation!!!!!
  • Reply 98 of 125
    They may have blown it. The company had high expectations and were banking on them then cut features at the last minute only to have a high priced product with little functionality. I hope it doesn't come to pass but I'm bearish on this new product.
  • Reply 99 of 125
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tummy View Post

Mr Me, the title of the story is "5M+ Apple Watch units to be built for launch, 18k gold 'Edition' could be Apple's most expensive product ever"  That is what I was commenting about. It does in fact say "Apple's most expensive product ever".  I don't understand what you are complaining about.

I learned a long time ago that reporters and headline writers are two different groups with two different objectives. It is not at all uncommon for the headline to misrepresent the text that follows. This is why I don't take headlines seriously. The text of the OP does not say that the Apple Watch will be Apple's most expensive product ever. 

• Reply 100 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now, you both have heard from someone (I use my real name, here) that intends to buy 5 -- one for each member of our household!

We all have iPhones (5 and above) and iPads (2 and above).

The Apple Watch will have the ability to notify family when any of us is in danger -- excessive or no pulse rate.

That, alone, justifies the Apple Watch!

In 2001, my wife died suddenly, unexpectedly -- while I was less than 40 feet away in the computer room ...

I am sorry for your loss, my father passed away as we were working in the same office. I know it has the ability to share a heartbeat with one another, but i don't think they mean for that to be every second of every day. As that much active use would probably drain the battery. It will be interesting to see if it has the features you are thinking it does, I remember them saying it could notify a doctor if something were to happen, but maybe that was a feature that was removed. Good luck.