Apple Pay drives in-app purchases for Staples, fails to catch on in stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
Apple Pay's in-app purchasing capability is often overshadowed by its physical iPhone-powered NFC counterpart, but for big-box office supply chain Staples, the feature has quickly become the most popular method of payment processed by the company's iOS app.

During a panel discussion on Tuesday, Prat Vemana, vice president of mobile commerce at Staples, said that Apple Pay users account for 30 percent of purchases made through the retailer's iOS app, reports FierceMobileIT. Staples was in the first wave of U.S. retailers to adopt Apple Pay after rolling out NFC support at 1,400 locations in November.

"Right now it's the number one payment method for us in our iOS apps," Vemana said. ""Apple Pay has been one of the most successful implementations when it comes to payments."

For Staples, Apple Pay's easy-to-use system not only represents a more effective form of mobile payments, but a growth driver as well. When Apple launched its payments service last year, 65 percent of transactions originating from Apple Pay users were first time Staples customers.

Vemana noted that Staples app users are almost evenly split between iOS and Android, but 70 percent of mobile revenue is generated by Apple device owners.

"The question is, is it demographic? What is it about Android that those users are hesitant about payments? The question is still open," he said.

While Staples has seen an enormous impact from Apple Pay's in-app payment processing system, the retailer can't say the same for physical iPhone-based touchless purchases. Vemana failed to reveal specific statistics, but said Apple Pay is not one of the top three payment types for in-store buys.

"On mobile it overtook everything else so I think it will be a slower adoption in stores," Vemana said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Are cracks appearing in Apple Pay?

There have been a few negative stories recently, what with this and China.

I hope it catches on, though if iTunes Radio is anything to go by, I've a long wait.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

What the **** are you even talking about? God, your trolling is so mind-numbing and tiresome on this forum. Your hatred of everything Apple is just pitiful. You must have some special deal with the mods, so that you continue to post here unfettered. 

• Reply 3 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    That's bad, I have your moronic comments blocked on my Macs but you show up on my iPad!
  • Reply 4 of 64
    You want to know why it hasn't caught on in-store? Because it's a pain in the ass. Staples still makes you sign for Apple Pay, which defeats a major point of using it in the first place. So I might as well just use a credit card, honestly.

Get rid of signatures, and your Apple Pay use will go up. McDonald's doesn't make me sign. Walgreens doesn't make me sign. Why does Staples?
  • Reply 5 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

troll...whine...fabricate...

Mods... why haven't you banned this idiot yet?  This miscreant hijacks every single thread.

• Reply 6 of 64
    That's bad, I have your moronic comments blocked on my Macs but you show up on my iPad!

That's bizarre.

Slurpy's comments do become wearying, but his peculiar brand of moronic must have permeated through your block filter.

Contact the mods and see if they can put a custom block on Slurpy's posts for you.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    30% already...that's astounding.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:

That's bizarre.

Slurpy's comments do become wearying, but his peculiar brand of moronic must have permeated through your block filter.

Contact the mods and see if they can put a custom block on Slurpy's posts for you.

MULTIPLE posters in this thread specifically asking for your banning, and you think you've made a witty statement by mentioning me. How utterly pitiful. Doesn't your complete lack of self-awareness impede you in real life?

• Reply 9 of 64
    timusca wrote: »
    You want to know why it hasn't caught on in-store? Because it's a pain in the ass. Staples still makes you sign for Apple Pay, which defeats a major point of using it in the first place. So I might as well just use a credit card, honestly.

Get rid of signatures, and your Apple Pay use will go up. McDonald's doesn't make me sign. Walgreens doesn't make me sign. Why does Staples?

But those places don't make you sign when the amount is below is a certain threshold even when swiping a credit credit or debit card as credit, which I think is based on what the banks allow. I would think Staples having you sign for even the smallest purchase is simply a lack of an updated payment system.

Surely we have some forum readers that would be able to give a more precious (and correct) answer.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    I use apple pay every time I go, there terminals don't have the logo for the nfc payments though so at first I had to ask. But it worked, and it's easy to switch between my business and personal cards. Just easier since I have my phone in my hand. Hardly use apple pay online though, since I didn't get an iPad air 2 .
  • Reply 11 of 64
    I think the problem is more with training the Staples store employees. I have been twice to a Staples and both times the person at the register didn't know what to do. They didn't even know what the hell Apple Pay was let alone how it was suppose to work.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:

That's bizarre.

I'll give you one thing, you're consistent. And that post did make me laugh from the sheer obtuseness.

• Reply 13 of 64
    slurpy wrote: »
    What the **** are you even talking about? God, your trolling is so mind-numbing and tiresome on this forum. Your hatred of everything Apple is just pitiful. You must have some special deal with the mods, so that you continue to post here unfettered. 

It's like a requirement for British persons in these forums. There are no exceptions.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    It's not one of the top 3? I would be shocked if it beat cash, credit, and debit right out of the gate.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

There have been a few negative stories recently, what with this and China.

I hope it catches on, though if iTunes Radio is anything to go by, I've a long wait.

Apple Is Doomed!™

• Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Mods... why haven't you banned this idiot yet?  This miscreant hijacks every single thread.

Some posters (ie. the worst) seem to be immune to bans. The mods probably have a troll quota or something. 

The worst thing about BF is he typically ignores the actual content of the article that he's responding to, in his Apple bashings, and will twist something positive into something negative. Or, he'll falsely attribute a failing to Apple, while that failing is completely on the part of another party. The sensationalist title of the article also doesn't help, which facilitates trolls like BF to post their mockery without reading past the headline. 

Quote:

"Right now it's the number one payment method for us in our iOS apps," Vemana said. ""Apple Pay has been one of the most successful implementations when it comes to payments."

For Staples, Apple Pay's easy-to-use system not only represents a more effective form of mobile payments, but a growth driver as well. When Apple launched its payments service last year, 65 percent of transactions originating from Apple Pay users were first time Staples customers.

• Reply 17 of 64
    I've randomly asked so many iPhone 6 and 6 owners I see around town (Seattle) if they have used Apple Pay. Most people I have asked have HEARD of Apple Pay vaguely, but have never used it and are not particularly aware of its benefits or where it is accepted. I realize a lot of banks are advertising Apple Pay (JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, and B of A), but Apple needs to promote the brick and mortar retailers who participate.

On a slightly different subject, I am DELIGHTED to use ApplePay to reload my Starbucks Card App! You can choose any amount to reload and you don't have to do it through the cashier anymore. It really works great, so you can enjoy the security and convenience benefit. To use this, make sure you have updated your Starbucks card app. in Passbook. It's exciting that this is just a half-step towards Starbucks actually accepting Apple Pay. I'm sure Starbucks will be a bit reluctant to forfeit their crown as the nation's leader in electronic payments volume, via their own rewards card.

@tkrunner1738. I look forward to ApplePay being used increasingly for ONLINE purchasing where shoppers should be very reluctant to send out their 16-digit debit card account numbers, security code, expiration date, and billing address!

I agree with Ben Thompson at Stratechery that ApplePay is perhaps Apple's most important development since the iPhone itself. He lists many reasons why this is true in his latest podcast. It will be hard for Samsung to copy this without 64-bit tech (enabling the secure enclave), and trying to steer around all the Authentec/Apple touch ID patents.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    I've randomly asked so many iPhone 6 and 6 owners I see around town (Seattle) if they have used Apple Pay. Most people I have asked have HEARD of Apple Pay vaguely, but have never used it and are not particularly aware of its benefits or where it is accepted. I realize a lot of banks are advertising Apple Pay (JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, and B of A), but Apple needs to promote the brick and mortar retailers who participate.

On a slightly different subject, I am DELIGHTED to use ApplePay to reload my Starbucks Card App! You can choose any amount to reload and you don't have to do it through the cashier anymore. It really works great, so you can enjoy the security and convenience benefit. To use this, make sure you have updated your Starbucks card app. in Passbook. It's exciting that this is just a half-step towards Starbucks actually accepting Apple Pay. I'm sure Starbucks will be a bit reluctant to forfeit their crown as the nation's leader in electronic payments volume, via their own rewards card.

@tkrunner1738. I look forward to ApplePay being used increasingly for ONLINE purchasing where shoppers should be very reluctant to send out their 16-digit debit card account numbers, security code, expiration date, and billing address!

I agree with Ben Thompson at Stratechery that ApplePay is perhaps Apple's most important development since the iPhone itself. He lists many reasons why this is true in his latest podcast. It will be hard for Samsung to copy this without 64-bit tech (enabling the secure enclave), and trying to steer around all the Authentec/Apple touch ID patents.

But how can it be used more for online shopping ? I do most my shopping on my iPad over my iPhone I guess but without an iPad Air 2 that supports it then there's not that much you can do . I also wish more Apps would take advantage of Touch ID currently I only use etrade and Amazon
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Same here. Half the terminals don't have the NFC working at the Staples stores I go to, and the ones that do still require a signature... What's up with that?
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have him on "ignore" too. I only see BF's moronic comments when someone quotes him in order to call him out for his stupidity.