Civil rights leader Rep. John Lewis visits Apple HQ, meets with CEO Tim Cook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Georgia congressman and civil rights activist John Lewis was a guest speaker at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., on Tuesday, where he touted his new graphic novel and talked one-on-one with CEO Tim Cook in a closed door meeting.

Source: Tim Cook via Twitter

Rep. Lewis stopped by Apple as part of a Northern California book tour for "March: Book Two," the second in a planned trilogy of autobiographical graphic novels focusing on the U.S. civil rights movement.

Earlier in the day, Cook tweeted a picture of the two walking through the halls of Apple's Cupertino campus, writing, "Honored to host @RepJohnLewis at Apple today. His 50-year march for justice and equality inspires us. @MARCHTrilogy."

It is unclear what Cook and Rep. Lewis discussed during their private meeting, but the talk comes two months after the Apple chief discussed corporate diversity with prominent civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson.

Cook, who has long-admired African-American Civil Rights Movement leader Martin Luther King, Jr., has become increasingly vocal over the past few months regarding equal rights for minorities. In his induction speech at the Alabama Academy of Honor in October, for example, Cook pushed for reform on topics ranging from education to gender and racial equality.

In the predominantly white tech industry, employee diversification and wage gaps have become hot button topics. Following the lead of other Silicon Valley companies, Apple last year released its first ever report on diversification statistics, revealing that most of its employees are white men. Over the intervening months, the company has made workplace diversity a top priority, coining the phrase "inclusion inspires innovation" that Cook and others use to promote the issue.

Rep. Lewis is scheduled to meet with Google executives later today and will participate in book signings and readings on Wednesday at the San Francisco Public Library and San Francisco State University.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Cook is living in the past. I think he'd love to have been a politician in the 60s.

There is no battle to fight today with regard to civil rights, but he needs to feel there is one to make him feel good.

Meanwhile, this is more proof that Cook's heart lies in politics. He's in the wrong job.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Seems like all you need to get a private meeting with Tim Cook these days is some connection to a civil rights movement. Jesse Jackson and now John Lewis. I'm surprised Al Sharpton hasn't tried to peddle is race baiting excrement in Cupertino.
  • Reply 3 of 42

"...no battle to fight today with regard to civil rights..." Really?

• Reply 4 of 42
    Cook is living in the past. I think he'd love to have been a politician in the 60s.

There is no battle to fight today with regard to civil rights, but he needs to feel there is one to make him feel good.

Meanwhile, this is more proof that Cook's heart lies in politics. He's in the wrong job.

This singlehandledly takes the cake for the most simple minded comment ever posted by an AppleInsider reader.

Or you accidentally omitted your "/S"
  • Reply 5 of 42

This singlehandledly takes the cake for the most simple minded comment ever posted by an AppleInsider reader.

Or you accidentally omitted your "/S"

Nope. No sarcasm required.

We have had no new hit under Cook.

This Homo sapiens has yet to prove his chops. Canoodling with the likes of Jesse Jackson simply detracts from Apple's core focus. He should know better than to mingle with the wrong crowd.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

We're all speechless by this mountain of evidence you've put forward that Cook is in the "wrong job". Definitely, this meeting overshadows the insane growth and performance that Cook has driven in his company, to the tune of $75B in revenue in a single quarter. Yeah, Cook is definitely a fish out of water in this whole CEO business, what an insightful one you are. 

One can only hope there can be more Tim Cooks in this world, people who can be amazing leaders, businessmen, and human beings, and less people like you. There are no words to even respond to your grotesquely ludicrous statement of of "no more battle to fight for civil rights".  

PS- Hear that guys? No "new hit" under Cook. The delusion, based on pure hatred, is almost incomprehensible. 6,100 posts of pure lies and nastiness, and counting. Most of which are hate-filled anti-Cook rants, all based on lies and pretending the guy is a failure. Stunning. 

• Reply 7 of 42
    slurpy wrote: »

We're all speechless by this mountain of evidence you've put forward that Cook is in the "wrong job". Definitely, this meeting overshadows the insane growth and performance that Cook has driven in his company, to the tune of $75B in revenue in a single quarter. Yeah, Cook is definitely a fish out of water in this whole CEO business, what an insightful one you are. 

One can only hope there can be more Tim Cooks in this world, people who can be amazing leaders, businessmen, and human beings, and less people like you. There are no words to even respond to your grotesquely ludicrous statement of of "no more battle to fight for civil rights".   

No words?

You seemed to manage a few. ????
  • Reply 8 of 42
    mswift801 wrote: »
    Seems like all you need to get a private meeting with Tim Cook these days is some connection to a civil rights movement. Jesse Jackson and now John Lewis. I'm surprised Al Sharpton hasn't tried to peddle is race baiting excrement in Cupertino.

Glad to see I'm not the only one on AI with their head screwed on right.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

No words?

I didn't comment about your civil rights statement, only about your Cook bashing. 

I have trouble understanding how you can have so much hatred against a civil rights leader like John Lewis. Really, how has he harmed you? You think he's had a net negative effect on humanity? Lewis is visiting Google tomorrow, co clearly this isn't an Apple only thing, yet for you the fact that Cook allowed a universally admired and respected leader like Lewis in the door is enough for you to spit on Tim, and suggest he's not fit to run the company, or any company for that matter.

You do know that your nasty bigotry and racism is transparent through all your non-sensical statements and ridiculous conclusions, right? Stop beating around the bush, here are some summarized versions of your posts that you can use in the future:

1. I hate Tim Cook because he's Gay

2. I hate Tim Cook because he associates with black people

3. I hate Tim Cook because he seemingly has a soul, and a conscience. 

4. I hate Tim Cook because he has brought increased success to a company I secretly also hate, which is Apple. 

There, I summarized every one of your 6000+ hateful, anti-Cook posts in a much more succinct and honest manner, as well as your predictable future ones. You're welcome.

• Reply 10 of 42
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member

Tim Cook grew up in the south and is Gay, his interest in civil rights is okay with me, and understandable the southeast is still Red.

• Reply 11 of 42

To any mod reading, I have 2 questions:

1. When a poster claims that the most successful CEO on the planet is not fit to be in his position for the crime of accepting to meet with a universally admired civil rights leader (that leaders of other tech companies are currently meeting with), how can that be explained as anything other than pure, blatant racism? What other explanation could there POSSIBLY be for such a non-sensical, ridiculously unbalanced, and irrational statement?

2. Why is blatant, consistent racism from the likes of BF tolerated on this forum? Are there no limits to the kind of hate speech that people can spout? I've been banned multiple times for "ad-hominem" attacks on people like BF, as I called them out in honest terms. How can this be ban-worthy, not the constant, hate-filled attacks, veiled and unveiled, against entire ethnic groups from posters like BF?

I'd appreciate answers to these questions. 

• Reply 12 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    No words?

Your bigotry is unusual for a Brit. Are you in exile from some bayou over here?
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

To any mod reading, I have 2 questions:

1. When a poster claims that the most successful CEO on the planet is not fit to be in his position for the crime of accepting to meet with a universally admired civil rights leader, how can that be explained as anything other than pure, blatant racism? What other explanation could there POSSIBLY be for such a non-sensical and irrational statement?

2. Why is blatant, consistent racism from the likes of BF tolerated on this forum? Are there no limits to the kind of hate speech that people can spout? I've been banned multiple times for "ad-hominem" attacks on people like BF, as I called them out in honest terms. How can this be ban-worthy, not the constant, hate-filled attacks, veiled and unveiled, against entire ethnic groups from posters like BF?

I'd appreciate answers to these questions. 

How does calling race-baiters like Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton equate to racism? Please explain this one to the class because Jesse & Al's motives have been exposed for DECADES as nothing more than reverse racism lining their own pockets.

• Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

How does calling race-baiters like Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton equate to racism? Please explain this one to the class because Jesse & Al's motives have been exposed for DECADES as nothing more than reverse racism lining their own pockets.

First of all the individual in question is John Lewis, so I don't know why the **** you would mention 2 individuals instead of him, who have nothing to do with this story. 

Secondly "race-baiter" is purely your own label, and has nothing to do with any kind of empirical fact. 

Thirdly, even IF they were as you describe them, it still takes an insane leap to say Tim Cook does not deserve his position, for accepting to meet with them. That kind of crazed, extreme statement is what I attribute to racism, not his/your opinion of individuals that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Your or my opinion of these people is completely besides the point. It does not give carte blanche to attack anyone who meets with them, and certainly not a CEO for whom it may be an obligation. 

Thirdly, my Qs are not based on a single one of BFs post, but a consistent trend in his 6000+ posts. 

I'm not a fan of Netanyahu for example (to put it lightly) but I would never in a million years suggest Tim Cook is not fit for the job, nor do I put anything against him, because he agreed to meet with him. I'm not so childish as to suggest that the CEO of a massive company should only meet with and agree with the people that I personally like, and definitely not so petty and childish as to attack, mock, deride, and chide the CEO if he doesn't agree with some very narrow ideologies.  

There are limits to the extreme statements someone can make, and it's sad that you cannot acknowledge the ridiculous and extreme statements BF makes about Cook, just because you happen to share general ideologies There are statements that are insane no matter what side of the fence you're on, and if you had some maturity you would step back and acknowledge BFs consistently nasty comments, attacking Cook anytime he can find even the most strained excuse. 

• Reply 15 of 42

As soon as I saw the headline I knew where this thread would go ... ... and it has.  Have to love AI.  Better than Fox.

• Reply 16 of 42
    Slurpy -I tried to get that answer too, except my post was deleted.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sociable Weaver View Post

As soon as I saw the headline I knew where this thread would go ... ... and it has.  Have to love AI.  Better than Fox.

Your signature is apt. I don't think BF has stepped outside the tiny town he resides in the UK, yet he feels he knows about and can confidently assess the civil rights situation in the US, and confidently mock anyone fighting today for equality and civil rights. He also has the gall to claim Cook is "living in the past"- Cook, a global CEO who travels the world and meets a higher number, and a wider demographic of people in a single week than BF will ever encounter in his lifetime.

It's Cook, a world famous CEO (who deals with celebrities, world leaders, executives, consumers, journalists, investors, presidents, chinese factory workers, etc) who is living in his own little delusional bubble, not the enlightened BF, who spends all his waking time trolling and hating on Apple on the internet. Yeah, Tim Cook definitely needs to get out more, he's "living in the past" and has no fucking clue whats happening in the world . /s

As even more icing on the cake, the delicious irony is that this "living in the past" comment comes from the xenophobe who regularly throws nasty, vile, hateful, and demeaning comments to numerous minority groups (and women, whom apparently are ineligible to be on any executive team), and is aimed towards the openly gay CEO of Apple. Doesn't get much more ludicrous than that. 

• Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:

Your statement regarding civil rights is unequivocally false. I live in a medium size town in the southern region of the United States where some schools are still segregated. Segregation is no longer law, but it is instead enforced by creating new school districts that serve only wealthy parts of town which happen to be predominately white. I work in a retail store (selling many Apple products by the way) and on a regular basis hear customers make racist and homophobic comments. Gay and lesbian couples aren't allowed to marry or even adopt children. In fact there are laws that specifically make it illegal for gay and lesbian individuals to adopt children.

Considering Apple's current performance I'm not sure how it is logical to criticize anything Tim Cook is doing. I am glad that he is doing everything in his power to try and solve these problems.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Kudos to you, man, on all your comments in this thread... or as is said here in France... "Chapeau!"

• Reply 20 of 42
    slurpy wrote: »

There, I summarized every one of your 6000+ hateful, anti-Cook posts in a much more succinct and honest manner, as well as your predictable future ones. You're welcome. 

For the trigger-happy mods that might think this post deserves a ban for calling out such obviousness, take some time to go through BFs posts and tell me I'm wrong. And explain to the rest of the forum how such a 1 note troll that decorates the exact same statement in different language in every post, in every thread, still deserves to be around. 

Yep, you summed him up pretty well. Not sure how he gets away with it.