Civil rights leader Rep. John Lewis visits Apple HQ, meets with CEO Tim Cook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Cook is living in the past.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"    - Santayana

• Reply 22 of 42
    This singlehandledly takes the cake for the most simple minded comment ever posted by an AppleInsider reader.

Or you accidentally omitted your "/S"

Unfortunately this isn't even the worst of what he has posted in the past. At the hight of the Ebola epidemic he was trivialising it by comparing receiving the free U2 album to getting Ebola.
    No doubt, you'll be looking forward to having Ebola being given to you.

How he gets away with many of the comments he posts is baffling.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    slurpy wrote: »
    To any mod reading, I have 2 questions:

1. When a poster claims that the most successful CEO on the planet is not fit to be in his position for the crime of accepting to meet with a universally admired civil rights leader (that leaders of other tech companies are currently meeting with), how can that be explained as anything other than pure, blatant racism? What other explanation could there POSSIBLY be for such a non-sensical, ridiculously unbalanced, and irrational statement?

2. Why is blatant, consistent racism from the likes of BF tolerated on this forum? Are there no limits to the kind of hate speech that people can spout? I've been banned multiple times for "ad-hominem" attacks on people like BF, as I called them out in honest terms. How can this be ban-worthy, not the constant, hate-filled attacks, veiled and unveiled, against entire ethnic groups from posters like BF?

I'd appreciate answers to these questions. 

I guess it's ok to make offensive comments about an entire group of people based on their race/religion/country of origin/death by disease etc... but it's not ok to call the poster out for making those comments in case that individual feels insulted by being called out as the low life they are.
    Makes perfect sense to me. /s
  • Reply 24 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hey Tim where's the invite for Watch event? That WSJ story about sensors is really turning the ?Watch sentiment in the media quite negative. What are you doing to counter that?
  • Reply 25 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Apple gets singled out for the bad stuff like labor issues in China and whenever Greenpeace farts but you’ll never see this story in the mainstream media. No big deal was made about the $850 million solar energy plant except for the objections of some activists to its location. Negativity sells in the U.S. The country is perpetually doomed just like Apple is and that sells ads and newspapers.

As for Benjamin Frost just block him and/or stop replying. These types thrive on negative attention. Ignore him and he will leave on his own volition quickly. 

• Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hey Tim where's the invite for Watch event? That WSJ story about sensors is really turning the ?Watch sentiment in the media quite negative. What are you doing to counter that?

Tim does not have to do anything to counter the negativity generated from the article written by the WSJ. The WSJ needed clicks yesterday and got them by doing the easy thing: Writing something that will be perceived as being critical of Apple.

Your pal Mark Gruman did not propagate the negativity.

• Reply 27 of 42
    Here what "benjamin frost's" profile says.

Forum Post Count: 6193

Not American.
    You've been a busy, little troll, haven't you, Benjamin? You think we give a &%$# what you think of our politics?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    "benjamin frost" is...

You've been a busy little troll, haven't you, Benjy? Someone needs to inform him we have a higher standard of humanity in our country and it's enabled us to become the most powerful, prosperous, influential nation on earth.
  • Reply 29 of 42

"benjamin frost" is...

You've been a busy little troll, haven't you, Benjy? Someone needs to inform him we have a higher standard of humanity in our country and it's enabled us to become the most powerful, prosperous, influential nation on earth.

• Reply 30 of 42
    First if all I think Tim Cook is a excellent CEO. Having said that I'm disappointed that he's choosing to use his position as a bully pulpit to push his personal political views. Why entertain a bunch of race baiters who do more to harm and divide than to heal and untie?

I'm sure a few of the comments would be a little more critical of Tim Cook if he were to invited someone more respectful like Ben Carson, SC Senator Tim Scott or former Rep. Allen West to address race related issues.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

First of all the individual in question is John Lewis, so I don't know why the **** you would mention 2 individuals instead of him, who have nothing to do with this story. 

Secondly "race-baiter" is purely your own label, and has nothing to do with any kind of empirical fact. 

Thirdly, even IF they were as you describe them, it still takes an insane leap to say Tim Cook does not deserve his position, for accepting to meet with them. That kind of crazed, extreme statement is what I attribute to racism, not his/your opinion of individuals that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Your or my opinion of these people is completely besides the point. It does not give carte blanche to attack anyone who meets with them, and certainly not a CEO for whom it may be an obligation. 

Thirdly, my Qs are not based on a single one of BFs post, but a consistent trend in his 6000+ posts. 

I'm not a fan of Netanyahu for example (to put it lightly) but I would never in a million years suggest Tim Cook is not fit for the job, nor do I put anything against him, because he agreed to meet with him. I'm not so childish as to suggest that the CEO of a massive company should only meet with and agree with the people that I personally like, and definitely not so petty and childish as to attack, mock, deride, and chide the CEO if he doesn't agree with some very narrow ideologies.  

There are limits to the extreme statements someone can make, and it's sad that you cannot acknowledge the ridiculous and extreme statements BF makes about Cook, just because you happen to share general ideologies There are statements that are insane no matter what side of the fence you're on, and if you had some maturity you would step back and acknowledge BFs consistently nasty comments, attacking Cook anytime he can find even the most strained excuse. 

I'm not saying that Cook is the wrong man for the job because he meets with people. Far from it. That said however you posted "When a poster claims that the most successful CEO on the planet is not fit to be in his position for the crime of accepting to meet with a universally admired civil rights leader, how can that be explained as anything other than pure, blatant racism?"

I mentioned Jesse because Tim has met with him as well and Jackson is considered "Universally Admired". I don't think he should have pandered to Jackson because of Jackson's well-documented history of reverse-racism and racial-divisiveness purely to line his own pockets nor do I claim Cook is unfit for his job for doing so. It would be luidicris to claim otherwise, but does this make me a bigot?

John Lewis I actually have a lot of respect for. He's marched with MLK. He's not someone like Jackson who likes claiming he was by King's side when he was assassinated when he was nowhere near King.

As for BF I think he's on my block list so I'm not privy to his posts.

• Reply 32 of 42
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    "Inclusion inspires innovation"?!?

What a load of absolute, utter bull.

Steve Jobs didn't help create groundbreaking, innovative products like the iPhone, iPad or iMac by making sure the engineering teams were sufficiently diverse. Or by making sure they were staffed with representatives from every possible race, so as to be sufficiently inclusive.

He did it by picking the best man or woman for the job. And demanding the best. Period.

Apple achieved its current success by keeping organizational structures flat and teams small. Not by adding to the bureaucracy with all sorts of diversity positions and directors.

Do you know which other tech company used to push diversity, and we're famous for their progressive inclusion and cultural sensitivity?

Nokia.

And look how great they did...
  • Reply 33 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ^ they did really great. Spectacularly great. Don't judge the whole life of the company by the final years when it osbourned itself and suffered very poor managerial decisions imposed by an outsider.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I'm not saying that Cook is the wrong man for the job because he meets with people. Far from it. That said however you posted "When a poster claims that the most successful CEO on the planet is not fit to be in his position for the crime of accepting to meet with a universally admired civil rights leader, how can that be explained as anything other than pure, blatant racism?"

I mentioned Jesse because Tim has met with him as well and Jackson is considered "Universally Admired". I don't think he should have pandered to Jackson because of Jackson's well-documented history of reverse-racism and racial-divisiveness purely to line his own pockets nor do I claim Cook is unfit for his job for doing so. It would be luidicris to claim otherwise, but does this make me a bigot?

John Lewis I actually have a lot of respect for. He's marched with MLK. He's not someone like Jackson who likes claiming he was by King's side when he was assassinated when he was nowhere near King.

As for BF I think he's on my block list so I'm not privy to his posts.

Just thought this deserves a response. No, your views of Jackson do not make you a bigot. I don't throw these words around carelessly or easily. I'm actually not a huge fan of his, and I can't stand Sharpton, but I don't lump John Lewis in the same category simply because he's black.  And it's clear you share the same respect for him, so I don't think there should be any disagreement between you and I over my initial post to BF. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion about these individuals. However, BF has made many, many statements to the affect that Cook should be removed from his post because he's met with people that BF he does not like (for obvious reasons). 

You're an intelligent poster, and the fact that you have BF on your block list means you clearly choose not to put up with his garbage. I have absolutely no problem with you. I have a problem with those who have a long posting history of xenophobia, misogyny, and hateful, derogatory attacks towards entire ethnic groups, and going so far as to mock and attack Apple execs and employees for not sharing this hatred and these ideologies. Not to mention BFs disgusting attacks and mockery against Cook because of his sexual orientation, his concern for the environment, the fact that he hired a woman, etc etc. 

• Reply 35 of 42
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    crowley wrote: »
    ^ they did really great. Spectacularly great. Don't judge the whole life of the company by the final years when it osbourned itself and suffered very poor managerial decisions imposed by an outsider.

Oh come on! This is off topic, but an outsider? Stephen Elop did a fine job considering the citcumstances. Yes, Nokia did spectacularly well, back when they were still Finnish Nokia, making TVs, etc. and labouring away on saving a few mw here and a few mw there.

Their downfall came in the early 2000s, after they sold off their consumer electronics when they got too arrogant and too enamoured with their global role, diversity and their self image as Nokia the comminations-enabler.

All of a sudden you had design studios in England, (staffed with a veritable United Nations of young designers and "thinkers" whose main skill seemed to be the ability to speak in corporate vacuities), you had development centres spread out around the world to spread the cash around (while Nokia did a pisspoor job at attracting the people with actual talent and skills, who seemed to be centred around Silicon Valley) and of course the regional Nokia headquarters quickly ballooned in size, while they kept on taking more (primarily duplicating) functions. They ran their own marketing campaigns, made their own region specific software, etc.

In 2007-2008 they probably had over 20.000 people doing the job of a few thousand, all because each regional headquarter kept doing their own thing and duplicating efforts that HQ in Espoo already had done. All in the name of being a good global citizen, as diverse and culturally respectful as possible.

There were dozens of VP with vaguely similar roles and each regional HQ kept naming more VPs.

Nokia was so bloated, that when they writing Symbians successor, they gathered hundreds of engineers from around the globe in a hotel, so each spec could be discussed in excruciating detail, and all the dozens of chief-engineers all could get their fingerprint on something.

And don't even get me started on their Open-Source apocalypse.

The funny thing was, if you talked with somebody from Nokia in 2008, about Apple and the threat from the iPhone, you'd either get a blank stare, or a dismissive hand wave, followed up with a story on how that wasn't a problem, because Nokia was so central to people's lives that a Nokia cellphone often was an Indian farmers only flashlight and radio*. And iPhones were for rich geeks, and nobody could ever take Nokias place as an enabler of communication and yadayada.

*That same Indian farmer, or it could have been a handful of farmers, was also the reason why Nokia was so late with making their own modern iPhone equivalent. (One of many reasons, mind you... Nokia was such a bloated mess that any tiny detail could take months to accomplish.) When they were laying down the specs for the next generation of phones, it became obvious that a battery life of more than a day or two would be impossible, given the huge touchscreen etc. Once it seemed that they had settled the issue, concerned emails from around the world started flooding in, from VPs and chief engineers, who wanted to point out, that in some African and Asian villages, people sometimes had to walk for miles to the neighbouring village to recharge their phone. Which obviously meant that a battery life of only a day or two was unacceptable. And they managed to raise enough noise in Espoo to force the issue back on to the drawing board again. A little less inclusiveness would undoubtedly had made the N8 development less of a death march.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by v900 View Post

"Inclusion inspires innovation"?!?

It certainly does in the sense that it gets people who may have a great idea to the table that turns out to be "The Next Big Thing" that might otherwise be passed on or looked over.

• Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Nope. No sarcasm required.

We have had no new hit under Cook.

This Homo sapiens has yet to prove his chops. Canoodling with the likes of Jesse Jackson simply detracts from Apple's core focus. He should know better than to mingle with the wrong crowd.

Steve Jobs had definite political ideas too. But when it came to his business he had an aggressive—borderline obsessive—focus on doing things that are "really great". Tim seems to be much more into political activism, which necessarily takes away from the kind of focus that was necessary to make Apple the company it became. That lack of focus appears to be showing up in Apple's products in that "it just works" has been noticeably slipping. For example: http://www.marco.org/2015/01/04/apple-lost-functional-high-ground

• Reply 38 of 42
    [QUOTE name="Slurpy" url="/t/184831/civil-rights-leader-rep-john-lewis-visits-apple-hq-meets-with-ceo-tim-cook#post_2677695"]
    1. I hate Tim Cook because he's Gay
    2. I hate Tim Cook because he associates with black people
    3. I hate Tim Cook because he seemingly has a soul, and a conscience. 
    4. I hate Tim Cook because he has brought increased success to a company I secretly also hate, which is Apple. 

[/QUOTE]

I have no wish to alert the world to the fact that you, Slurpy, hate homosexual people, in particular Tim Cook, and hate those associating with black people; you are welcome to broadcast your hate in your own posts, if that is your desire.

Whether Apple Insider would welcome such posts, I couldn't say.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    This is race pandering, pure and simple. It doesn't matter what Lewis and Cook discussed, all that matters is the photo op, and the Tweet, and the gushing about how much of a hardon Cook has for "equality" and how evil all those straight, white males are for working at Apple.

To Cook's credit, America is a country where image is everything. Inviting Lewis, or Jackson, or any other race hustler is a good way to gain protection in the "racism" racket. It makes me wretch, but its not going to hurt the bottom line.

How much do you want to bet that Apple doesn't have another straight, white male as CEO this century, if ever again?
  • Reply 40 of 42
    nick29 wrote: »
    This is race pandering, pure and simple. It doesn't matter what Lewis and Cook discussed, all that matters is the photo op, and the Tweet, and the gushing about how much of a hardon Cook has for "equality" and how evil all those straight, white males are for working at Apple.

To Cook's credit, America is a country where image is everything. Inviting Lewis, or Jackson, or any other race hustler is a good way to gain protection in the "racism" racket. It makes me wretch, but its not going to hurt the bottom line.

How much do you want to bet that Apple doesn't have another straight, white male as CEO this century, if ever again?
    This post is heading beyond the event horizon of stupidity.