Apple's iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Beats headphones take top honors in consumer survey

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I'm an audiophile at heart. I can hear recording errors in music and video.

After I read this article all the way through, I don't buy into the argument that 'audiophiles' are able to discern what they claim. They couldn't even tell the difference between a $2 dac and a $5,000 dac.

• Reply 22 of 32
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

OMG!! Someone said something negative about Apple!! ATTACK!!

I own $3,000 stereo speakers and can hear the frequency range of a teenager.

That's just an introduction.

Believe me when I tell you I've heard $80 headphones that sound better than $300 Beats.

I hope you're right. The original Solos were trash. And the $300 Beats Studio were a complete scam.

I wish the best for Beats.

I hope to see some sturdy Apple designed Beats with nice sound.

I really wish Apple would have bought Sennheiser for the headphone guts.

Wow. I'm pretty modest but it's flattering when people view me as some tech guru.

But I never said Apple products suck.

You'd be blind to not see all the free advertising Apple gets for ?Pay, iDevices on television, billboards etc.

I think that's smart and I'm not downplaying Apple at all.

I spent a small car' worth of cash ($$$$$) on living room audio a decade back when I think I seemingly lost my mind... Does that make me an expert, or just someone with money seemingly to burn?   Thank god, I'm better now balancing want versus needs.

And, yes It is possible to delude ourselves and thinking there is a difference when in fact there is not, or the difference matters when it doesn't really (because there are so many distortion in the whole artist to listener chain that getting a "pure" sound is just a total fallacy). I bought into that whole scene for a while.

• Reply 23 of 32
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I have and I'm not impressed, their simply not worth the price they command. My portable headphone needs are met extremely well with the Bowers and Wilkins P5's and P7's, as well as a pair of C5's for when I need something ultra-portable. The Beats just don't compare to both the audio and build quality. Home use, again it's either the B&O P7's or still my favorite headphones of all time, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, simply stunning sound for the price, not to mention that I still own my first pair that are now pushing 15 years without incident. Both my children's Beats barely lasted 6 months before the cable broke on both of them, yes the wireless models don't have that problem but I simply refuse to buy another Beats product for them after going through 2 pairs for each of the children. They now have Marshals for the fraction of the cost, sound decent enough and have survived an entire school year without problems. The build quality might have improved under Apple's watch but again their sound can be had for less or better for the same amount of money with the B&O's.

There of course is nothing wrong with liking the Beats as everyone's choice of favorite headphones vary but you also don't need to call out someone for not sharing your views, especially calling them clueless. I'm sure they tested them as the Beats can be found in pretty every store that sell headphones, heck I've seen them at gas stations. Which pretty much sums up my views on the Beats.

If someone says a product is crap when all reviews says differently. Clueless is the appropriate moniker. You know, it refers to the person not being up date in the info they have, willfully, or unconsciously.

If you try to convince someone else that a product is crap and call yourself an expert, well, you went beyond opinion and you are begging that your point of view be challenged.

If someone said, despite the good reviews and good sales, I don't like the sound of those headphones for X and X reason; and those reasons do correspond to some characteristics of the product (and not something totally out of left field). Well, no one will call them out. Though, they may argue the finer points with them.

BTW, what does them being available in gas stations have to do with anything? You say not to call out people and then paint all Beat buyers  as unsophisticated in one fell swoop. Pretty hypocritical of you isn't it?

• Reply 24 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Diet Coke = tasteless

It would be an improvement if it was tasteless.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    cali wrote: »
    Beats is similar to Apple. They're a genius brand that constantly gets free advertisement.
    In their first year their marketing budget was $0.
    Yet the products blatantly appeared in chart toping music videos and even an album cover.

The sound quality and build quality is still crap though.

You haven't used any lately then. Currently typing this with Beats Wireless Studio headphones on while smashed into a subway car on my morning commute :-) . They are widely regarded as being expensive but also sounding great. Personally, they're the best headphones I've ever listened to... sound quality is way above Bose for instance (I know that's not saying much but Bose are the main competitor in this price and feature segment: wireless, noise canceling, over the ear headphones).

The new Wireless Solo 2's are also getting great reviews.

Unless you've personally listened to the newer Beats offerings quit perpetuating this rumor. There are lots of reasons to buy Beats... just like there are plenty of reasons to buy alternatives.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    analogjack wrote: »
     With sugared water and toothpaste on the list, this award is kinda devalued.

"Do you want to sell toothpaste the rest of your life or do you want to change the world?"
  • Reply 27 of 32
    cali wrote: »
    I own $3,000 stereo speakers and can hear the frequency range of a teenager.
    That's just an introduction.

Sigh. "Audiophiles". Go back to buying $10,000 ethernet cables ( http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/audioquest-ethernet-cables-pt2-ethernet-cable ) and leave the rest of us to discuss the _real_ world :-)
  • Reply 28 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,440moderator
    foggyhill wrote: »
    relic wrote: »

I have and I'm not impressed, their simply not worth the price they command. My portable headphone needs are met extremely well with the Bowers and Wilkins P5's and P7's, as well as a pair of C5's for when I need something ultra-portable. The Beats just don't compare to both the audio and build quality.

If someone says a product is crap when all reviews says differently. Clueless is the appropriate moniker. You know, it refers to the person not being up date in the info they have, willfully, or unconsciously.

If you try to convince someone else that a product is crap and call yourself an expert, well, you went beyond opinion and you are begging that your point of view be challenged.

Relic has all manner of easily broken or poor quality Apple items that have superior alternatives:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182536/consumer-reports-test-shows-iphone-6-plus-less-bendy-than-iphone-6-suggests-bendgate-may-be-overblown/200#post_2611303
    "I've already seen one person with a cracked iPhone 6 Screen, a nurse, she dropped it while opening up her locker. My Lumia 1020 could have easily survived that drop"

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158742/samsung-electronics-has-not-dethroned-apple-inc-in-mobile-profits/40#post_2369147
    "my Samsung Note I must have dropped it about a half a dozen times without so much as a scratch. My daughter has had to replace her iPhone three times already due to cracked screens. I'm not saying the iPhone aren't well built either I'm just stating what I have personally witnessed. In fact during my daughters birthday party in June I noticed that more then a quarter of the girls iPhone's all had cracks in them, this is probably just kids being kids but it was still an alarming number."

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158200/review-apples-new-11-inch-macbook-air-mid-2013/40#post_2351422
    "my husbands Asus VivoTab 810c gets about 18 hours, my ThinkPad X230 none Haswell with the 9 Cell get's 12 hours, if I add the bottom battery slice it's over 20 hours, with browsing on the WWAN and listening to music. Not to say the new Macbooks aren't great but there are a lot of laptops that get the same if not better battery."

Notice a trend? If Apple had bought Bowers & Wilkins, she'd have a number of them that didn't last more than a few months too while pointing to how highly reviewed Beats were and how they had over 60% of the market.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    "Do you want to sell toothpaste the rest of your life or do you want to change the world?"

You don't think fluoride enriched toothpaste changed the world?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Marvin wrote: »
    Relic has all manner of easily broken or poor quality Apple items that have superior alternatives:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182536/consumer-reports-test-shows-iphone-6-plus-less-bendy-than-iphone-6-suggests-bendgate-may-be-overblown/200#post_2611303
    "I've already seen one person with a cracked iPhone 6 Screen, a nurse, she dropped it while opening up her locker. My Lumia 1020 could have easily survived that drop"

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158742/samsung-electronics-has-not-dethroned-apple-inc-in-mobile-profits/40#post_2369147
    "my Samsung Note I must have dropped it about a half a dozen times without so much as a scratch. My daughter has had to replace her iPhone three times already due to cracked screens. I'm not saying the iPhone aren't well built either I'm just stating what I have personally witnessed. In fact during my daughters birthday party in June I noticed that more then a quarter of the girls iPhone's all had cracks in them, this is probably just kids being kids but it was still an alarming number."

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158200/review-apples-new-11-inch-macbook-air-mid-2013/40#post_2351422
    "my husbands Asus VivoTab 810c gets about 18 hours, my ThinkPad X230 none Haswell with the 9 Cell get's 12 hours, if I add the bottom battery slice it's over 20 hours, with browsing on the WWAN and listening to music. Not to say the new Macbooks aren't great but there are a lot of laptops that get the same if not better battery."

Notice a trend? If Apple had bought Bowers & Wilkins, she'd have a number of them that didn't last more than a few months too while pointing to how highly reviewed Beats were and how they had over 60% of the market.

We all know someone that just about everything they buy has a defect. Seems like Relic is surrounded by those people. :lol:
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

Beats is similar to Apple. They're a genius brand that constantly gets free advertisement.

In their first year their marketing budget was $0.

Yet the products blatantly appeared in chart toping music videos and even an album cover.

The sound quality and build quality is still crap though.

Beats build quality seems fine from my experience but I do agree the sound quality is bad. You can buy headphones for half the cost that blow any Beats model out of the water.

• Reply 32 of 32
    Have you tried the Wireless Studio Beats? If not, just move along.

I haven't, but I did buy their in-ear wireless headphones I didn't like them:

I'll be returning these earphones, but not for the reason some might think.

This is the first time I've tried wireless earphones. While the prospect sounded nice, especially for me as a cyclist and the cable often is too short to go under my jersey and then back out at the bottom, into my pocket, wireless just isn't for me.

The need to charge them over a micro USB, or whatever the plug is, it actually looks like proprietary, which becomes a problem when you loose the cable, and putting the plug in is no joy. It's flimsy, only goes in one way, and, well, I'd rather have an inductive charging method. Simply come home, drop them on a plate or something and be done with it. That is why I like sport watches that automatically sync over ANT+ or WiFi when coming home. No need to plug in a USB cable.

My other annoyance with wireless is the lost connection. This happens quite frequent, as in a few times per hour. With my iPhone either around my waist when running, or in my jersey when cycling, it still drops the connection. It became annoying for me.

The sound on the other hand is good. It's clear, though I was expecting way more bass as this was a key feature. But I think my ears are simply too wide, even with the largest earbuds they still didn't snugly fit into my ears. Which is why 1) I'm missing out on the bass, and 2) I hear more wind coming into my ears than music while cycling, even with the wind in my back. I'm sure that they sound great, full bass, for people with smaller ears. The in-ear phones from Apple remain my preferred ones, as they not only sound good but fit perfectly with the largest earbuds.

Last thing: the 6 hours on a single charge isn't enough for me. I'm a cyclist, and do 8, 10, sometimes 12 hour bike rides during summertime. My iPhone and GPS device last long enough, pity these phones don't. But I'm weird, and I don't think many people will think the 6 hour listening limit will limit them in enjoying these earphones from Beats. Because they are good, just not for me.

Marvin wrote: »
    foggyhill wrote: »
    relic wrote: »

I have and I'm not impressed, their simply not worth the price they command. My portable headphone needs are met extremely well with the Bowers and Wilkins P5's and P7's, as well as a pair of C5's for when I need something ultra-portable. The Beats just don't compare to both the audio and build quality.

Hmm, this post seems unfitting, coming from you. I mean, where does it add to the discussion? That is something you do within every single post, a good argument, relevant to the topic at hand and helpful, with links, for those not in the know on the subject. Guess I am 'not feeling you'...