The eMac's guts guessing game!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What makes the eMac run? Are a bunch of rabid hamsters enjoying the extra room that most of Ivy's latest creations didn't afford?

Or,

Is it the round iMac motherboard sitting 'behind' a (very) short neck CRT with wires running to the Airport, drives, speaker, I/O circuits and an analogue board all sitting below the CRT?

The vent and spec gives me the impression that that is how the internals are laid out.

However, the only flaw is that this machine has two 168pin dimms. Could it be a slight mod to the imac mobo (that will hopefully appear in the next iMac rev) or is this Mobo more of an iMacG3 type arrangement (just with better video and G4 tacked on) ???

Whaddayall think?

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    All I know is that the iMac uses the Pangea all-in-one controller found in more recent CRT iMacs, while the eMac uses the Uni-N and KeyLargo controllers from the older CRT iMacs. Other than that, the motherboards look pretty darned similar.

Edit: Here we go...

iMac

eMac

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    To me, the new eMac (weird to type that) loooks like they reused old clear 17'' apple crt cases.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    What sort of GPU does the eMac have? Is that a GeForce MX? How much vRAM does it have?

Seems like it has decent guts, nothing great but at least Apple didn't give it a 66 MHz system bus.

Now that the eMac is buttressing Apple's low end, they should give the iMac a 133 MHz system bus, jack up it's GPU a notch, and outfit it with a 17" LCD! It's time for Apple to own.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    JYD, that iMac you describe, people keep saying it's impossible, but I'd buy it straight away.

It looks the the GPU is the same as the iMacLCD's.