Retired GM chief Dan Akerson likens rumored Apple car program to 'trying to cough up a hairball'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I still don't think Apple is building a car.  Maybe some systems for one but not an iAuto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

If an Apple-designed car ends up being manufactured, it is a safe bet that it will be produced, marketed, and monetized in a very different way than how GM operates. 

My pet theory is that Apple won't sell cars at all. Instead, I speculate that they will provide transportation as a service/accessory to iPhone users. In other words, Apple will provide a car service for iPhone users that uses cars designed by Apple (but manufactured by a contract manufacturer). There will be no Apple analog of a Chevy dealership. 

Concur.

That said, buying, owning, driving, maintaining, insuring, and ultimately disposing of a car is a terrible user experience. Apple has expertise to contribute. But not running a steel factory or assembly line.

As others have commented, Apple does not actually manufacture the iPhone. No assembly line for that in Cuppertino or any Apple owned or operated facility.

• Reply 22 of 143
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

He said "If I were an Apple shareholder..."

Clearly he is not very bright, otherwise he would be an AAPL shareholder.

If Tesla can make a car so could Apple - whether they should or not is a different question.

• Reply 23 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

As others have commented, Apple does not actually manufacture the iPhone. No assembly line for that in Cuppertino or any Apple owned or operated facility.

They do build the Mac Pro in the US.

• Reply 24 of 143
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It's so cute that this guy is so concerned about protecting Apple from entering their doomed business. Nice to know he's looking out for their best interests. If he ACTUALLY believed they would fail and did not see them as a threat, he would welcome their entry, not give a million reasons why it's such a horrible, horrible idea. 

Or, he can just keep his fucking mouth shut and not sound like a moron, as noone has a clue if Apple is even considering entering that business. And IF they do, they don't need this tool to advise them to "think carefully" about it, or inform them that *OMG* metal is used to make cars. I'm sure after hearing this new information, Apple have changed all their plans and went back to the drawing board. The guy sounds hysterical. 

Pretty sure he was asked about this and gave his answer so as to appear erudite and increase his perceived value. Speaking fees, consulting fees, and the like.

I have lots of opinions. I give practically all of them away for free in the hopes that someone might value you them and then offer to pay me for the ones I don't give way. But, YMMV etc etc...

I do remember the letter from a big watch manufacturer to Tim after the Apple Watch reveal. "Welcome!" it purported to say. Not sure just how welcome the move was, but as a PR move, it was brilliant. Making lemonade from lemons.

• Reply 25 of 143
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

What he said: They have no idea what they're getting into if they get into that.

What he meant: We know all kinds of dirty tricks Apple couldn't even imagine.

• Reply 26 of 143
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I think he's attacking a straw man. 

If an Apple-designed car ends up being manufactured, it is a safe bet that it will be produced, marketed, and monetized in a very different way than how GM operates. 

My pet theory is that Apple won't sell cars at all. Instead, I speculate that they will provide transportation as a service/accessory to iPhone users. In other words, Apple will provide a car service for iPhone users that uses cars designed by Apple (but manufactured by a contract manufacturer). There will be no Apple analog of a Chevy dealership. 

What I suspect as well: CitiBike (the NYC bikeshare program) using AppleCars.

• Reply 27 of 143
    Apple will likely not be "manufacturing"... they will be 3D-PRINTING a SMART "iRide" vehicle!
  • Reply 28 of 143
    If Apple did go into the automobile business it wouldn't be anything like GM. In fact, the absence of competent American competition would be the main reason to do it. Jonny Ive and his team could surely design better automobiles than GM. Tesla and BMW, I'm not so sure.

Apple would obviously focus on the design and marketing aspects while farming out the manufacturing piece. Apple would not be buying steel and turning it into cars in their own manufacturing plants. More likely they would have someone like Honda produce the vehicles to their specifications and under their brand name.
  • Reply 29 of 143
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

LOL.

First Musk.

Now this GM clown.

You can tell the industry is shaking in their boots once the 'old guard' starts making attacking comments about Apple.

What does this clown know about how Apple operates.  

The demographic shift regarding personal car ownership is having it's impact on the industry.

• Reply 30 of 143
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Akerson: We take steel, raw steel, and turn it into car.

Apple: We take ideas, raw ideas, and turn them into money.

• Reply 31 of 143
    sflocal wrote: »
    I still don't think Apple is building a car.  Maybe some systems for one but not an iAuto.

That being said, this guy comes across like that idiot CEO at Blackberry when the iPhone was introduced.  Whatever Apple does, I'm sure it will be pie in this guy's face.

Adding to that, if Musk can build Tesla from he ground up and we have the most popular and profitable company in the world with excessive cash on hand, as well a long successful history of building or having machines built to create innovatice and efficient new mabufavturkng methods, along with pushing the envelope of available tech and components (e.g.: inexpensive Retina IPS displays and giant curved glass for Apple Campus 2), is it reall unrealistic to think that if Apple wanted to build a car that they wouldnt be able to do it?

Personally, I think the better move would be to buy into an already established conglomerate like Diamler-Chrysler, and then start interacting your tech and expertise from the top down. I think that would be the most efficient and effective way to make it successful… but in no way do I think an ?Car is the most likely reason for their LiDAR vans.
  • Reply 32 of 143
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

He probably said the same thing about Tesla.

• Reply 33 of 143

What do you think the guys in Cupertino do when they see s*** like this!? Have a belly laugh? Don't know whether to laugh or cry?

I simply can't believe how everyone's just gone to town on what is essentially a sketchy rumor, at best. Now I am waiting for news about AppleCar recalls, and pending USDoT investigations....

• Reply 34 of 143
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member
    If he had ran a reputable car company I would have valued his opinion more.

One thing is for sure. I doubt any existing car company, or any company for that matter, has the cash to do what Apple is planning to do.
  • Reply 35 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

like Diamler-Chrysler

Fiat-Chrysler

• Reply 36 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Personally, I think the better move would be to buy into an already established conglomerate like Diamler-Chrysler, and then start interacting your tech and expertise from the top down. I think that would be the most efficient and effective way to make it successful… but in no way do I think an ?Car is the most likely reason for their LiDAR vans.

Couldn't agree more.

I think that BMW would be an excellent buy. Lots of opportunities for product rationalization too (or spin those off to someone else).

(Approx. $80B in market cap, on which a 25% premium would mean a purchase price of $100B; even at that price, the forward PE of the purchase would be ~12x. I am guessing that Apple could easily create >$20B in synergies).

• Reply 37 of 143

Apple will likely not be "manufacturing"... they will 3D-PRINT a smart "iRide" vehicle!

• Reply 38 of 143
    this coming from a company that is in the business that took government bailouts to stave off bankrupty, right?
    I guess apple had a rough go once a while back, but unlike GM that just sat on their hands all those years while German automakers out performed, out innovated, and out classed the American market.

I am not knocking tesla, but if they can do it, I can see apple doing it too.
  • Reply 39 of 143

GM uses steel.  Apple will use liquid metal. 

• Reply 40 of 143
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, I'm sure the telecom industry said the same thing when Apple decided to make a phone in-house.

The "no idea what they're getting into" comment is valid.  Apple normally likes to work in markets where they can pretty much make up their own rules any time they feel like it.  But the car market is much more regulated due to DOT, NTSB, state vehicle codes, etc.  Apple would be more limited in the types of products they could sell.  So if Apple wanted to make a car with only one foot pedal because "two pedals are confusing", local regulations might not allow it.  Same with Apple wanting to require an adapter to connect their cars to gas station pumps, or making the hood accessible only to Apple technicians.  Apple would also have to be more proactive in issuing recalls, or risk facing the lawsuits and fines that GM, Honda and Toyota have been hit with.