Rumor: Apple to add Touch ID to Retina MacBook Air as well as future Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

How DO those millions of people using Touch id on an iPhone make it work??

well, the fact that the home button doesnt cause the iPhone to shut down probably helps...
  • Reply 42 of 57
    thetorrey wrote: »
    What I really want to know is if the iCar will have touch ID.

Yes, it will be built into the driver's seat along with other biometrics that will determine if you've been drinking or eating Tex-Mex before getting behind the wheel.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Yes it is. I accidentally pressed the Home button many times during Apple Pay and killed the transactions. It needs practices to make it work smoothly. I believe this will happen to laptop if it's implemented the same way.
    Really? I mean, ok, if that's your experience, but I've genuinely never pressed the button when trying to use TouchID. It's so easy to just lay my thumb on the panel, whereas pressing it requires a (small, but significant) chunk of force.

Don't mind being wrong, but I'm honestly surprised that anyone would call this even a small problem.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Really? I mean, ok, if that's your experience, but I've genuinely never pressed the button when trying to use TouchID. It's so easy to just lay my thumb on the panel, whereas pressing it requires a (small, but significant) chunk of force.

Don't mind being wrong, but I'm honestly surprised that anyone would call this even a small problem.

Really? I mean that's your experience, not everyone because I know people who did that too. I meant people, not a person. So, still, practices make things work right and nothing is wrong with it. 

Also, tell me that the current fking power button on iPhone 6/6+ didn't get accidentally pressed when people try to turn up the volume button because it happened to many people. When people try to turn up the volume, they squeeze it and it happens that  their index finger laying on power button too. Go do the search online. 

Don't defend Apple because issue didn't happen to you. I'm a hardcore Apple user who owned every single iPhone and iPad so far, and Mac too. Still there's thing that Apple needs to improve their hardware design too. 

• Reply 45 of 57
    Really? I mean that's your experience, not everyone because I know people who did that too. I meant people, not a person. So, still, practices make things work right and nothing is wrong with it. 
    Also, tell me that the current fking power button on iPhone 6/6+ didn't get accidentally pressed when people try to turn up the volume button because it happened to many people. When people try to turn up the volume, they squeeze it and it happens that  their index finger laying on power button too. Go do the search online. 
    Don't defend Apple because issue didn't happen to you. I'm a hardcore Apple user who owned every single iPhone and iPad so far, and Mac too. Still there's thing that Apple needs to improve their hardware design too. 

When I try to take a photo on my iPhone 6 Plus I am often pressing the Sleep Button when trying to only depress the Volume-Up Button to take a snapshot. This is because the buttons are across from each other and I can't lay my pointer finger on the Volume-Up Button to take a snapshot because the Volume-Up Button has no capacitance capabilities, thereby requiring it be pressed in.

This is not the case with ?Pay so why are pressing down and in hard on your Home Button when you should just let your finger graze it?
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

When I try to take a photo on my iPhone 6 Plus I am often pressing the Sleep Button when trying to only depress the Volume-Up Button to take a snapshot. This is because the buttons are across from each other and I can't lay my pointer finger on the Volume-Up Button to take a snapshot because the Volume-Up Button has no capacitance capabilities, thereby requiring it be pressed in.

This is not the case with ?Pay so why are pressing down and in hard on your Home Button when you should just let your finger graze it?

Yup...that's what happened to people at the beginning of using Apple Pay. It should be okay after a while. I mean issue happens and takes time to perfect it by users. For Sleep button issue, I still accidentally press it sometimes to turn up volume during calls or youtube or music playing.

• Reply 47 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

No it's not. Did Touch ID implementation in iPad take AAPL to the next level? Nope, iPhone6/6+ did. Touch ID is for convenience for device access and security for online purchases for laptops. Unless, Apple can implement Touch ID in every apps the way that KeyChain works, it may make big impact. Otherwise, it's like in iPad Air 2/Mini 3.

Perhaps you don't do it yourself, or don't realize it, but a tremendous amount of online commerce is done via laptops/desktops, not mobile devices.

Having a device like the Magic mouse or the trackpad as an external fingerprint authenticating device will lead to huge adoption of ApplePay. Whether you like/know it or not.

• Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:

Don't conflate Touch ID with ?Pay. 

Touch ID is not a necessary condition for ApplePay. But it adds a layer of security that would not be otherwise available for those interested. Given all the breaches these days, such security will matter a lot.

• Reply 49 of 57
    Touch ID is not a necessary condition for ApplePay. But it adds a layer of security that would not be otherwise available for those interested. Given all the breaches these days, such security will matter a lot.

The other way around. All it adds is significant level of to convenience to the security layer, but it does not add security because the passcode still can be used in lieu of Touch ID, and is inherently more secure than Touch ID, which is why it's always there as a backstop to Touch ID. Note that 1) you can't have Touch ID without setting up at least a PIN as a passcode, 2) if you restart your iPhone/iPad you have to first put in your passcode before you can use Touch ID, and 3) if your Touch ID passcode fails to authenticate too many times it defaults to the passcode. The passcode, which should only be stored in your memory (and no one else's memory) is the most secure way to protect your credentials. Biometrics will likely always be easily corruptible because they almost always can be faked, where as a passcode requires one to guess.

I would even like Apple to move the Touch ID PIN to a more complex alphanumeric plus special characters passcode now that ?Pay is in the mix.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:

Biometrics will likely always be easily corruptible because they almost always can be faked, where as a passcode requires one to guess.

Really, biometrics can 'almost always' be faked? Say more?

• Reply 51 of 57
    Really, biometrics can 'almost always' be faked? Say more?

It should be self evident that fingerprints, retinal scans, speech patterns, facial recognition, etc. all look for a certain number of match points (depending on how the SW is written and setup) in which to draw a likelihood of a match, not an actual match, as is the case with passwords. Can you really imagine a password authentication service that got to make the determination that because you got 95% of your password correctly but noticed you inverted a couple letters that it should log you in anyway? Of course not. That's ridiculous, and that's why a passcode is required before you are allowed to setup Touch ID on an iDevice.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

well, the fact that the home button doesnt cause the iPhone to shut down probably helps...

Indeed, sometimes it's actually the other way round, I'll hit the home button "just" to wake it up so I can see the time and if I linger the Touch ID kicks in and opens the damn thing, and I lose the nice big clock numbers!

• Reply 53 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not sure why you're all het up over something I haven't said yet.

I don't have a 6 or 6+, so I have no idea of what you say is an issue, but I'll take your word for it.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps you don't do it yourself, or don't realize it, but a tremendous amount of online commerce is done via laptops/desktops, not mobile devices.

Having a device like the Magic mouse or the trackpad as an external fingerprint authenticating device will lead to huge adoption of ApplePay. Whether you like/know it or not.

LOL...that's so gimmicky. Let me see. Someone steals my Magic Mouse...OMG, my fingerpints are all over the mouse. Guess what happen to my computer next time. Yeah.

By the way, do your search, most of on line purchases using Apple products came from iOS devices, not Mac.

• Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Indeed, sometimes it's actually the other way round, I'll hit the home button "just" to wake it up so I can see the time and if I linger the Touch ID kicks in and opens the damn thing, and I lose the nice big clock numbers!

Happened to me many times. Guess I need AppleWatch instead of looking at the clock on my iPhone.

• Reply 56 of 57
    LOL...that's so gimmicky. Let me see. Someone steals my Magic Mouse...OMG, my fingerpints are all over the mouse. Guess what happen to my computer next time. Yeah.
    By the way, do your search, most of on line purchases using Apple products came from iOS devices, not Mac.

The moronicity of your overall post is only exceeded by the idiocy of the assumption that Apple must be pretty stupid if it were to do this....

Most Apple online purchases come from iOS devices? Give me a (halfway) credible cite. I'll wait.