Apple reportedly in talks to build $1.7B plant in partnership with Japan Display

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Apple may soon secure a more stable source for small to medium sized device displays, as the company is said to be in talks with Japan Display on the buildout of a $1.7 billion manufacturing plant.

Japan Display -- the result of a 2012 merger of Sony, Hitachi and Toshiba's display divisions -- is mulling an agreement with Apple that could see the Cupertino, Calif., company cover a substantial portion of costs on the buildout of a 200 billion yen (about $1.68 billion) LCD display manufacturing facility, reports Japan's Nikkan Kogyo. In return for its investment, Apple would receive most or all of the factory's output.

According to sources, the suggested plant is to be built in Ishikawa, Japan next year and will produce LTPS (low temperature polysilicon), a technology first used by Apple in the latest generation iPhone 6. If green lit, the sixth-generation facility will be capable of churning out large glass substrates at a high rate, and could potentially transition over to the production of OLED panels. Apple's first OLED product will be the Apple Watch, which is currently slated for release in April.

At this point talks are fluid, sources said, noting Apple is also negotiating a display deal with Foxconn. It was reported in November that Foxconn subsidiary Innolux Corp. is sinking $2.6 billion into a state-of-the-art plant to serve Apple's ballooning demand for iPhone panels.

"No formal decision has been made regarding any matter that we need to disclose," Japan Display said in a statement obtained by Reuters.

The report also notes that Apple sources iPhone displays from Japanese companies JDI and Sharp, as well as South Korea's LG Display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh, Apple are not going to be using Samsung? What a shame ... /s
  • Reply 2 of 24
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

first fed 16 years model iPhone.

Curious about what this phrase means.

It sounds like gibberish to me, but that is the case of AppleInsider more frequently these days.

• Reply 3 of 24
    This is probably for transparent display windsheilds for the ?Car¡
  • Reply 4 of 24
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Nah, this is for Munster's 60" Apple Television.

But hey, I don't know. Is sixty inches too small for a television these days? My living room hasn't grown any larger, even if sixty inches were the "bare mininum" for a premium television, I still couldn't fit it in the space that I've earmarked for my TV. 

• Reply 5 of 24
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Is sixty inches too small for a television these days?

Apple’s making a flexible SAMOLEDOOFUS+ panel for their TV. Comes in a tube to save space. Just roll it out to the size you want and the UI matches the roll, up to 100” 2.39:1.

• Reply 6 of 24
    Looks like we'll be waiting another year for that 5.5 inch iPod touch.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    macvicta wrote: »

I was surprised that none of the iPods were updated last year. They had moved to a 2-year cycle, but I think updating this year will be the 3rd year.

If they update the iPod Touch with a 4.7" and/or 5.5" option with most of the 2014 iPhone specs they could potentially keep decent margins, but are there even enough buyers to warrant the effort? Macs accounted for more than double that of iPod sale for the fiscal year ending 2014, and in 2015 the iPod segment was gone.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

IGZO-based OLED panels maybe?

I thought Apple and Sharp developed a new OLED "printing" production process.

And yes.  They patented it IIRC.

• Reply 9 of 24
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    [quote name="AppleInsider" url="/t/184877/apple-reportedly-in-talks-to-build-1-7b-plant-in-partnership-with-japan-display#post_2678944"]
    According to sources, the suggested plant is to be built in Ishikawa, Japan next year and will produce LTPS (low temperature polysilicon), a technology first used by Apple in the latest generation iPhone 6.[/QUOTE]

I believe that LTPS screens go all the way back to the iPhone 4 Retinas. Here's a sample piece of evidence for that, as well as some background for this story. Plus bonus vintage small-vs.-bigger-screen squabbling from some familiar forum members when they were younger and more innocent.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150335/apples-next-iphone-expected-to-consume-70-of-high-res-ltps-screen-supply

The story is a bit garbled, but it for sure indicates that the iPhone 5 would be LTPS. We have to infer that the 4 and 4S were using LTPS.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    How do these panels relate to Apple's use of Gorilla Glass (or even possible sapphire in the future?). Are they both involved, just at different layers of the stack?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    mpantone wrote: »
    Nah, this is for Munster's 60" Apple Television.

But hey, I don't know. Is sixty inches too small for a television these days? My living room hasn't grown any larger, even if sixty inches were the "bare mininum" for a premium television, I still couldn't fit it in the space that I've earmarked for my TV. 

Get a bigger living room. ;)
  • Reply 12 of 24
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Don't hold your breath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I was surprised that none of the iPods were updated last year. 

I wasn't.

• Reply 13 of 24
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I was surprised that none of the iPods were updated last year. They had moved to a 2-year cycle, but I think updating this year will be the 3rd year.

If they update the iPod Touch with a 4.7" and/or 5.5" option with most of the 2014 iPhone specs they could potentially keep decent margins, but are there even enough buyers to warrant the effort? Macs accounted for more than double that of iPod sale for the fiscal year ending 2014, and in 2015 the iPod segment was gone.

iPod sales will continue to go down as long as Apple ignores the line and doesn't update them.

There is still interest for them but who wants to buy old technology? If new iPods were announced we'd see a sales spike. They make good toys for kids especially a 5.5" one.
    I always told my friend that if the Galaxy Note were released and marketed as a toy it would have been a huge success. Similar to the iPods in the 2000's.

Furthermore if they can release the iPod touch with an iPhone 6 lens they can sell as good handheld cameras.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

IGZO-based OLED panels maybe?

I thought Apple and Sharp developed a new OLED "printing" production process.

And yes.  They patented it IIRC.

But Samsung is now a major shareholder of Sharp. And we have all heard Sharp wasn't too happy with Foxconn and working with Apple.

I guess this 1.7B with Japan Display and 2.8B in Innolux were to secure enough panels for the future and a indication that the deal with Sharp hasn't worked out.

Last week we also heard the news Apple Watch's display will be using LG OLED exclusively.

• Reply 15 of 24
    cali wrote: »
    iPod sales will continue to go down as long as Apple ignores the line and doesn't update them.

There is still interest for them but who wants to buy old technology? If new iPods were announced we'd see a sales spike. They make good toys for kids especially a 5.5" one.
    I always told my friend that if the Galaxy Note were released and marketed as a toy it would have been a huge success. Similar to the iPods in the 2000's.

Furthermore if they can release the iPod touch with an iPhone 6 lens they can sell as good handheld cameras.
    Agreed. I think the iPod touch has plenty of life left, and also thought it was dumb how others left that segment to Apple in its entirety. I just fear that Apple no longer sees a good enough reason to continue investing in the iPod touch. They don't seem to care about it.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Get a bigger living room. image

Or stick it on the ceiling and put a big fat shaggy rug and a few pillows on the floor. Who needs furniture?

• Reply 17 of 24
    Yay! Go Jp!!!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I think Apple has given up on iPod and the Touch. It is a shame really. It is one of those things where their. Actions assure projections. By that I mean sales tank while hardware starts to age badly. Touch should have went 64 bit last year with enough flash to solve anybodies music storage needs.
    Well one thing is certain, nobody with any sense would buy today's iPod Touch. As I said Apple believes the MP3 music player industry is done and by not updating any of the iPods they pretty much make sure that is the case. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the lack of iPod sales has also been a factor in music sales declines.

In any event a lot of people like me really wanted to see Touch updated for other reasons. If I wanted to listen to music I'd turn the radio on.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Well one thing is certain, nobody with any sense would buy today's iPod Touch. 

I use a Touch exclusively, because 95% of my family and friends have iPhones and I can iMessage them from wifi which I have access to about 95% of my life.

Literally saved me thousands of dollars.

• Reply 20 of 24
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

But Samsung is now a major shareholder of Sharp. And we have all heard Sharp wasn't too happy with Foxconn and working with Apple.

I guess this 1.7B with Japan Display and 2.8B in Innolux were to secure enough panels for the future and a indication that the deal with Sharp hasn't worked out.

Last week we also heard the news Apple Watch's display will be using LG OLED exclusively.

Good points all.  And yes, Apple has paid up front for components before.

So maybe the Japan Display deal is only for iMac / MacBook / Thunderbolt Display panels.

(And I'd bet a dollar they're not for an Apple-branded TV set. LOL.)