YouTube to launch kid-friendly app exclusively on Android, ahead of Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2019
The prospective launch of Google's new YouTube Kids app could be a boon for families with young children, but those invested in Apple's iOS ecosystem find themselves on the outside looking in as the video site reportedly will not support the iPhone or iPad at launch.

A screenshot of the forthcoming YouTube Kids app, via The Verge.

Update: While Google is readying an iOS version of YouTube Kids, it's not expected until a later date. The eventual launch timing, as well as the cause for the delay, remains unknown.

Google is expected to launch YouTube Kids -- designed as a child-friendly entertainment portal -- early next week, according to the Wall Street Journal. The app is believed to showcase existing kid-focused YouTube channels alongside some original programming, including new episodes of old favorites like Thomas the Tank Engine and Sesame Street.

A pre-release screenshot shows a user interface designed for young fingers, with only a few large, colorful options. Some rudimentary parental controls are though to be included as well, such as the ability to enforce viewing time limits.

There are any number of technical or business rationales that would explain the choice to delay an iOS variant. The team may have chosen to focus on a single platform in order to meet a launch deadline, or Google may have simply elected to leverage YouTube Kids as a temporary competitive advantage for Android

The iPad has been especially popular with children since its release, and Apple has made a number of moves to secure its advantage. In addition to its wildly successful education initiatives -- which have seen the iPad monopolize tablet sales for schools -- the company has also employed more low-key tactics, such as replacing Macs with iPads in the kids area at Apple Stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Hey at least there's now a use case for all those crap Android devices out there.
  • Reply 2 of 68

My kindergarten daughters had no problem with the YouTube interface on the iPad mini, they used the voice search feature to find what they were looking for.  Most of the time, they were fascinated and watched other kids/adults playing with their favorite toys.  If they want to watch a show, they go to Netflix.

I do wish YouTube would have a full featured parental control with separate password.  Right now it only let you filter out explicit content.

I do have a Nexus 7 but my daughters refused to use it because it didn't have a physical home button. 

• Reply 3 of 68
    Obviously Google will offer the same app for iOS. They don't make money on their own platform.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Google should not wait too long. Apple will just make a better version of the app and capture the lions share of the market leaving Google behind once again.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

God I hope so. I think Apple should heavily invest into their own ecosystem. But then again, that was one of the issues that befell them before in history. I think there are good reasons to remain open, but they could always sell it to the public as a protection of privacy.

• Reply 6 of 68
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Shots fired.

Is Apple pulling the plug on iOS devices having Google as the default search engine?
    Probably.

As far as Kid-safe YouTube I'd bet the iOS version is on the way pretty soon. Google usually makes it's apps available to multiple platforms. It only makes sense to do so.
  • Reply 7 of 68

Who cares.

They'll offer it soon enough. Like next week, I am guessing.

• Reply 8 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Remember that this is just initially. I would expect Google, Apple and Microsoft to have their products on their own platforms first. Microsoft didn't do this with the new mobile versions of Office because they have so few phones and tablets out there, but obviously, that not the case for Google.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

That's because Android is for babies!!

Android isn't a true mature platform for adults.

Android is just a dumbed down OS for baaaaaaaaaaabies!!!

(sound familiar to anyone?)

• Reply 10 of 68
    bobschlob wrote: »
    That's because Android is for babies!!
    Android isn't a true mature platform for adults.
    Android is just a dumbed down OS for baaaaaaaaaaabies!!!

(sound familiar to anyone?)

Hmm... Did you say this before?
  • Reply 11 of 68
    I would not read too much into it. Google has supported iOS in the past.
  • Reply 12 of 68

The YouTube app on iOS is one of the biggest pieces of garbage I've ever seen. It consistently fails to work properly. Glad there's third party options now.

• Reply 13 of 68
    I remember when YouTube was YOU-tube, not GOOGLE-tube. They sold out.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    It's just another avenue for tracking you and your behavioral habits. It's not enough for them to know what you search for, what websites you visit and when, what you buy, how you pay for it, how much you spent, where you go, and who your friends are.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Remember that this is just initially. I would expect Google, Apple and Microsoft to have their products on their own platforms first. Microsoft didn't do this with the new mobile versions of Office because they have so few phones and tablets out there, but obviously, that not the case for Google.

It's actually a surprise this hasn't happened sooner. Historically, Google has released new apps and better versions of its flagship apps on iOS before its own Android platform.

• Reply 16 of 68
    If parents want to give their children kid-friendly SW they wouldn't let them use Android in the first place. :rimshot:
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who cares.

They'll offer it soon enough. Like next week, I am guessing.

Yup. But we can't deny DED his click-bait. But at least it didn't take 15,000 words for him to explain it.

• Reply 18 of 68
    Right, I want to open my 4 year old to be brainwashed by ads delivered by Google, and turn her into a commodity with her personal data bought and sold by these fools.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Why would anyone waste space on their iDevice with the Youtube app? If one needs to see a Youtube video, Safari plays them fine.

I have eliminated so many apps that do X, if a news site, reviews, Amazon, doesn't matter - save device space and use Safari.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    freerange wrote: »
    Right, I want to open my 4 year old to be brainwashed by ads delivered by Google, and turn her into a commodity with her personal data bought and sold by these fools.
    You got it. Leave that crap to the TV, Radio, magazines, billboards, stores and such.

With that out of the way tho I'm surprised to see it will offer original programming as well as brand new episodes of some older shows like Thomas the Tank. That might make it a pretty popular service for parents with young children.
    http://adage.com/article/digital/youtube-s-app-kids-ads-launch-february-23/297245/