Apple announces repair program for MacBook Pro laptops exhibiting video issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

iPhone: 6+ was 1st iPhone that is useful as a phone. It's the best mobile platform out there. I don't carry it in my back pocket.

Mac mini server 2012: bought this just before apple screwed up the design (it was the replacement for the dead MBP). My job requires that I use a Mac to develop software.

Also, I don't want a Lenovo.

Huh? Feel what way?

That I bought a lemon from a company I trust, and they profoundly let me down?

That I feel they owe "something" for the nine visits to their "geniuses" (I use the term loosely here) over the course of three years that mostly resulted in finger pointing on their part at, me, the customer?

("You'll need to reinstall the OS". "We're willing to replace the motherboard a second time, but for $350 instead of free because the computer is out of warranty, and you didn't buy AppleCare")

It felt like going to radio shack. Contrast this with an iPhone 3GS that also "ran hot", shut down, sucked as a phone (inaudible voice quality, crap battery life) and was also out of warranty without AppleCare.

It was replaced with a new phone for free when it was revealed that this unit was part of a defective manufacturing run.

You’re not answering the question. Why are you still using Apple products? The diatribe you scribbled above indicates you are dissatisfied with every Apple product you own. You made a snide comment about the iPhone 6+. You made a negative comment about everything. You’re a real piece of work. You should not be using Apple products.

• Reply 42 of 75
    Great job Apple!

Yay!

Any lawsuits regarding these Macbooks will completely go up in smoke.

After all, Apple will repair them. No no argument there.

The Lawyers lose.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    lkrupp wrote: »

You’re not answering the question. Why are you still using Apple products? The diatribe you scribbled above indicates you are dissatisfied with every Apple product you own. You made a snide comment about the iPhone 6+. You made a negative comment about everything. You’re a real piece of work. You should not be using Apple products.

I guess reading comprehension wasn't a requirement where you went to school. Sorry you were one child left behind. Post has been edited since you sniped.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You don't get it.

Do not tell people to avoid buying Apple products. Let them come to their own freakin' conclusions. This is an Apple rumor blog site.

I am an AAPL shareholder, I want people to buy Apple products. This guy xixo has been buying them. Let him continue to do so.

• Reply 45 of 75
    Would that cover the security agent problem? I have this problem since a few days, can't use the Macbook anymore...[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/55610/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 46 of 75
    I get a similar problem on a "MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5"

It only started about a year ago on a OS X update.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic Norris View Post

I get a similar problem on a "MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5"

It only started about a year ago on a OS X update.

Your machine is not included in this program. Furthermore the fact that it started after an update should be telling you something.

• Reply 48 of 75
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    yazolight wrote: »
    Would that cover the security agent problem? I have this problem since a few days, can't use the Macbook anymore...

Try the suggestions in the following page:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5600203?start=0&tstart=0

It's not the same issue as the GPU failure, it might just be a software problem.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

You don't get it.

Do not tell people to avoid buying Apple products. Let them come to their own freakin' conclusions. This is an Apple rumor blog site.

I am an AAPL shareholder, I want people to buy Apple products. This guy xixo has been buying them. Let him continue to do so.

I get it alright. What I don’t get is how some people continue to do business with company’s they despise. If I had experienced the issues this individual says they did with every Apple product they ever owned I would be running away from Apple as fast as I could. In the over thirty years I’ve been using Apple products I’ve had only one bad experience and that was with the water-cooled G5 Power Mac and they fixed it out-of-warranty no charge.

• Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

iPhone: 6+ was 1st iPhone that is useful as a phone. It's the best mobile platform out there. I don't carry it in my back pocket.

What's snide about the iPhone 6+ comment? He's stating that the iPhone 6+ meets his requirements better than any previous generation of iPhone. How is that criticism?

• Reply 51 of 75
    And so it begins...

In 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Apple produced products, desktop and portable, with a common fault, GPUs that fail because of solder issues.

Rather than examine to determine the source of the problem Apple misguided their customers with a deceptive firmware "update" and the use of suspect, faulty motherboards as customer paid for repairs. Then in the face of overwhelming evidence tried to silence those deceived with "free upgrades" to newer production. Still the failures kept coming and more hurdlers were thrown in the way.

So now it begins... the repair. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you. Up until just days ago customer after customer reported that they paid for and then repeated experienced failures of Apple replaced motherboards. Have we any convincing evidence that Apple has changed the virtue in their heart and will do the right thing no matter what? Or have we greased the revolving door at the repair window?

Customers have reported volumes of 2011 MBPs for sale in Apple's stores, have they been subjected to the repair standards some have experienced with their costly repairs and repeated cycles of repairs?

One of my jobs in a past life time was to find and fix manufacturing processes like Apple's. Find where we built the problem in and repair that part of the process. Associated with that effort was to retrieve all faulty production products and repair them. Step one find the problem. Step two determine a correction. Step three test the correction. Step four assess the correctness of the correction, which involves creating tests that never existed before, for had the tests existed the problem would not have reached the customer. Step five determine if whether to return to step one or to step six. Step six gather the information to repair all previous production.

We are about to find out if Apple did step four or is hoping for another firmware update to delay the problem once again.

And so it begins....
  • Reply 52 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

What's snide about the iPhone 6+ comment? He's stating that the iPhone 6+ meets his requirements better than any previous generation of iPhone. How is that criticism?

iPhone: 6+ was 1st iPhone that is useful as a phone. It's the best mobile platform out there. I don’t carry it in my back pocket.

You mean you didn’t catch the snide” reference to Bendgate? That’s how these guys work things. If I didn’t know better I’d think it was Benjamin Frost in drag or something.

• Reply 53 of 75

I got so excited to see this because I have had this issue with my Mid-2012 Retina MacBook Pro that I got from work. For some reason though, the Check My Coverage doesn't seem to think my serial # qualifies. Here's to hoping in a year or two I can just get work to replace it and not have to worry about the ghosting that started a little too late (just outside of when AppleCare expired) and now this issue.

• Reply 54 of 75
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This is a good portion of the problem and unfortunately the move away from leaded solders was made mandatory by the EU. What was notable here is the demand for lead free systems when no alternative existed. What is even worst there was no proof that leaded solder was an environmental hazard.
    Actually for consumer devices there isn't an option. There are exemptions for military, medical and other electronics but nothing targeting the consumer gets an exemption.

What is even more interesting here is that Apple is just one of many industries suffering through this non sense.
    "Lead" period is a problem.

As for "leaded solder or alternatives", I can think of other products where the TIM failed (Sony's CCD-based Camcorder and Digital Still camera series from early 2000's) but only far past the warranty period. In one specific case of my own there, watching on the viewfinder as the TIM behind the CCD "melted" and the entire CCD's ability to capture pixels just started to "melt" as the cooling stopped working. There was a class action lawsuit there as well.

It's likely not the choice of solder per-se but the actual design was likely changed with the assumption of one kind of TIM that was changed during the production process, so only products purchased after X date have the problem, and only those people who used the laptop extensively where the TIM heated up to a point where it, or the PCB side melted and rendered it unusable. See also all original Xbox 360 (non-S) models, where just about everyone has to get their unit replaced or repaired, and those who only failed 2 years after purchase were better off buying a new Xbox 360S than trying to get it repaired.

It IS possible to screw up, and it's likely that not enough units were showing problems until someone actually started a class action lawsuit. Have you ever seen such ads? I've seen such ads for "do you own a LCD screen? click here to get a refund", where it then tells you how to claim your class action lawsuit refund. Unfortunately the class action money you get tends to be a pittance compared to the actual damages (in the case of the LCD monitors, it was like 20$, and not worth the time to find the original proof of purchase, despite how many screens I've had.)
  • Reply 55 of 75
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    lkrupp wrote: »

I get it alright. What I don’t get is how some people continue to do business with company’s they despise. If I had experienced the issues this individual says they did with every Apple product they ever owned I would be running away from Apple as fast as I could. In the over thirty years I’ve been using Apple products I’ve had only one bad experience and that was with the water-cooled G5 Power Mac and they fixed it out-of-warranty no charge.

Some people are professional victims and can find tiny faults and portray them as larger than they really are.

Sometimes you just don't have a choice.

Like 99% of the time, an Apple device is not awful, and works for what people intended to use it for. If just happen to buy at the wrong time, then there's a problem. As mentioned elsewhere in the comments, it's suspected a change in the solder is the problem, which could have been from an EU mandate, or could have been from one of the chinese factories swapping out the expensive recommended solder with a cheaper material than what was supposed to be used to line someones pocket and only affected a small portion of a production run, or it could have affected everything made at that factory. Are there iMac, MacMini, and iPhone/iPod/iPad's produced during the same dates with problems? Was AMD at fault and gave Apple bad engineering data and thus all products featuring that chip at fault? We will never know unless Apple acknowledges it.

I've not been burned by Apple, I have been burned by every non-apple device at some point, but usually 3 years after the warranty ended.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    What about those of us who had to sell our MacBooks at a discount because they did't work? Screwed.

d
  • Reply 57 of 75
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

At least they are doing the right thing by admitting the problem, and helping those that are still dealing with it.  I know just one person using a 2011-era laptop.  They are few and far between.

So we all agree with the lawyers who filed the class action lawsuit.  Without them, Apple will not admit the problem, and many will be left in the cold.  Apple is doing the right thing only after a lawsuit, so sad.

• Reply 58 of 75
    What about mid 2010. Same problems :(
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Too little too late. They need to refund all the people that paid for repairs while they were denying the issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Too little too late. They need to refund all the people that paid for repairs while they were denying the issue.

Apple is providing refunds to those who have paid to have servicing done. See this link
    http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
  • Reply 60 of 75
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member

Sounds like a lot of people need to look up "tin whiskers".

And no person has ever been lead poisoned from every day use of any electrical or electronic device that has solder with lead in it.