Apple's Oscars ad shot entirely on iPad Air 2, features voiceover by Martin Scorsese

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79

I did like Grand Budapest a lot. Fiennes was great, but that Algerian kid stole the show (for me). When he didn't even get nominated, I lost all interest.

Btw, the Imitation Game had to be one of the most cliched movies of all time. And historically inaccurate, because it completely ignored his Princeton days, where his hanging around people like Von Neumann and Alonzo Church (not to mention Albert Einstein) had a far greater impact on his understanding of and insights in computing than did Cambridge University. I also did not care much for the historical inaccuracies in Selma (e.g., sidelining the role of Lyndon Johnson). It ticked me off mightily that King's estate wanted a ridiculous sum of money for the use of his speeches, that the director decided to change them!

I was just coming back to edit my comment to mention The Grand Budapest Hotel. Of the ones I saw I think Fiennes should win, but I can't fully separate my enjoyment of the film from the actors. Perhaps I knew more about what was needed for the role. Certainly Steve Carell did something very "out of character" in Foxcatcher, and historically having some slightly mental disorder and making yourself unpleasant to look at has a benefit with the Academy, and yet he's listed as being likely to win.

I honestly don't know what Michael Keaton did that was so great in Birdman. To me he just seemed like he was Michael Keaton.

I still haven't seen The Imitation Game or The Theory of Everything. Being a fan of Turing (and Cumberbatch) and Hawking I do plan to watch both of these films. I'm not so concerned with accuracy for a 2 hour film, so long as I feel they properly capture the character of the real-life person, warts and all.

PS: Any recommendations from 2014 that we haven't discussed?
  • Reply 42 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Except that your solutions would imply the commercial was shot using a single iPad Air.

...shot "using iPads" would work, but it leaves out the Air.

...shot "using iPad Airs" is awkward.

...shot "using iPad Air technology" would work, but it might imply they did not use out-of-the-box equipment...

I don't know. Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to get over it. The meaning was clear and that is the most important thing.

I wonder why the comment that you replied to was deleted?

Anyway, The use of "entirely on iPad Air 2" is correct. It's referring to a platform, not necessarily a singular device.

• Reply 43 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I was just coming back to edit my comment to mention The Grand Budapest Hotel. Of the ones I saw I think Fiennes should win, but I can't fully separate my enjoyment of the film from the actors. Perhaps I knew more about what was needed for the role. Certainly Steve Carell did something very "out of character" in Foxcatcher, and historically having some slightly mental disorder and making yourself unpleasant to look at has a benefit with the Academy, and yet he's listed as being likely to win.

I honestly don't know what Michael Keaton did that was so great in Birdman. To me he just seemed like he was Michael Keaton.

I still haven't seen The Imitation Game or The Theory of Everything. Being a fan of Turing (and Cumberbatch) and Hawking I do plan to watch both of these films. I'm not so concerned with accuracy for a 2 hour film, so long as I feel they properly capture the character of the real-life person, warts and all.

Whiplash is an awesome movie in my opinion. Great performances and wicked drumming. I have a small problem with the final, what? 10 seconds, but I choose to eliminate it from my memory. A very intense movie.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    paxman wrote: »
    Whiplash is an awesome movie in my opinion. Great performances and wicked drumming. I have a small problem with the final, what? 10 seconds, but I choose to eliminate it from my memory. A very intense movie.

I just read that Simmons won't best supporting actor.

I also just noticed your previous post. The concept of Boyhood looks interesting.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I just read that Simmons won't best supporting actor.

I also just noticed your previous post. The concept of Boyhood looks interesting.
    The idea of shooting the movie over 12 years is amazing. It gives you a completely different perception of time. The story unfolds over the same time it takes to shoot, and actors and characters age in unison. Sounds simple and obvious but the effect is profound. Both of those two films I'd like to see again which is unusual. I just really enjoyed myself. Both have kept me thinking since I saw them. Can't get them out of my head.
  • Reply 46 of 79

The Lego Movie?
  • Reply 47 of 79
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They still look like dicks. :lol:

I was at a school play with my kids and there were 3 parents with tripods, full-blown DSLR's (I recognized a D4 and EOS 1D for sure) with external bracket mounted flashes. These are FAR more intrusive than an iPad. Who needs $10K of gear just to snap a few pics of their kids?

Now THOSE are what I'd call dicks. And I'm sure you've all come across them before.
  • Reply 48 of 79

I would rather have Marvin's comments than your comments since your comments are always negative.

The Apple ad was a good ad that promoted the use of iPad Airs by students.

As for as Scorsese personal life, what does that have to do with his ability to be a great director?

Nothing. Just a random grab bag of his negativity spraying in every direction without focus or logic.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I was at a school play with my kids and there were 3 parents with tripods, full-blown DSLR's (I recognized a D4 and EOS 1D for sure) with external bracket mounted flashes. These are FAR more intrusive than an iPad. Who needs $10K of gear just to snap a few pics of their kids?

Now THOSE are what I'd call dicks. And I'm sure you've all come across them before.

Because you get better pictures?  If they had tripods I'm guessing they were to the side and not in the audience (like Ipad users!), so not sure how they would be more intrusive?

• Reply 50 of 79
    If it was shot entirely on an iPad, they should have said so at the end. Need to toot their own horn a bit more.
    Agreed. The hilarity is that this ad ran even tho Same-song was an official PAID sponsor of the Oscars.. Gee I wonder who won in "this" category, Apple for its original ad on the "art" of its product or the ..
  • Reply 51 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

The 2014 movie I loved was Interstellar. Despite what anyone's opinion is about the 3rd act, it was one hell of a ride. 

That seems to be a running theme with Nolan's movies though... the 3rd act really divides movie goers.

Another little underrated gem was John Wick. Nothing too complex. Just a nice, tight revenge flick.

• Reply 52 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The idea of shooting the movie over 12 years is amazing. It gives you a completely different perception of time. The story unfolds over the same time it takes to shoot, and actors and characters age in unison. Sounds simple and obvious but the effect is profound. Both of those two films I'd like to see again which is unusual. I just really enjoyed myself. Both have kept me thinking since I saw them. Can't get them out of my head.

Boyhood is definitely on my watch list. The premise of Boyhood is intriguing and I have heard that beyond the central conceit, the movie itself is still pretty great so just can't wait to watch it. 

Truffaut's Antoine Doinel  films had the same actor and were shot over a span of 20 years, but rather than one continuous movie, they were simply adventures of the same character at different points in his life. The 400 Blows is still an amazing movie 53 years later!

• Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Remember when it was weird to see people holding up an iPad to take a photo?

Yeah .  . .

It still is.

Or more to the point, it's very often rude and annoying.

So be mindful when people behind you are trying to actually see the live event that you are watching on your iPad. Otherwise hold on tight or it might get accidentally knocked out of you hands and onto the pavement.      

• Reply 54 of 79
    desuserign wrote: »
    Yeah .  . .
    It still is.
    Or more to the point, it's very often rude and annoying.
    So be mindful when people behind you are trying to actually see the live event that you are watching on your iPad. Otherwise hold on tight or it might get accidentally knocked out of you hands and onto the pavement.      

Possibly off topic, I don't understand why people will pay money to go to a concert and then record it on their phone instead of enjoying the concert they are at. Why would you want a shitty copy of the concert when you can buy a real copy for a lot less than it was to get in there. Just enjoy the experience for what it is.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Judging Martin Scorsese's career by one film you didn't care for is a lot like judging a zoo based on only the first animal you saw.

The fact of the matter is that he has directed a number of films -- Taxi Driver among them, but also Goodfellas, The Last Waltz (about the final show of the rock band The Band), Raging Bull, the King of Comedy, The Last Temptation of Christ, Cape Fear, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, No Direction Home, The Departed, Boardwalk Empire, Hugo, and The Wolf of Wall Street among others. His career is diverse. He is one of the most acclaimed directors in the entire history of cinema, has won 20 Academy Awards, was ranked the second greatest director of all time (behind Hitchcock), and most of the films I've mentioned are regarded as movie classics.

You'd be doing yourself an enormous favour to expand your little world and check out some his other works. If you don't care for violent movies, I'd suggest starting with Hugo or The Aviator. Open your mind a little, you might find the rest of the zoo has a lot of different animals you might largely enjoy.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Possibly off topic, I don't understand why people will pay money to go to a concert and then record it on their phone instead of enjoying the concert they are at. Why would you want a shitty copy of the concert when you can buy a real copy for a lot less than it was to get in there. Just enjoy the experience for what it is.

Hear hear! Prince actually has people removed from the venue if they are getting caught the 2nd time, after everyone has been informed on the no recording please request.

Also OT, Woz was in a Cadillac commercial (The Daring - No Regrets):

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 57 of 79
    philboogie wrote: »
    Hear hear! Prince actually has people removed from the venue if they are getting caught the 2nd time, after everyone has been informed on the no recording please request.

I can appreciate that, although I seem to be unusual for not liking any of Prince's music.
    Also OT, Woz was in a Cadillac commercial (The Daring - No Regrets):

[vid]]

Thanks for posting the commercial. I loved it. Very inspirational. This is what I could find on the people in the video (please inform if I made some mistakes):

• How Dare A Fashion Intern Become An Arbiter Of Style — Jason Wu (isn't that how fashion designers typically get their start?)
    • How Dare A Wall Street Analyst Fight Disease With DNA — Anne Wojcick (married to Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google; now separated)
    • How Dare A Hairdresser Bring The Internet To Africa — Njeri Rionge (no Wikipage, which I think is odd)
    • How Dare A Director Take 12 Years To Shoot One Film — Richard Linklater (regarding Boyhood, in case this film has slipped by some readers)
    • How Dare A College Dropout Invent The Personal Computer — Steve Wozniak
  • Reply 58 of 79
    I can appreciate that, although I seem to be unusual for not liking any of Prince's music.

That quite understandable as he is a 'bit of a peculiar' artist. Still, an artist.

Thanks for posting the commercial. I loved it. Very inspirational. This is what I could find on the people in the video (please inform if I made some mistakes):

• How Dare A Fashion Intern Become An Arbiter Of Style — Jason Wu (Isn't that how fashion designers typically get their start?)
    • How Dare A Wall Street Analyst Fight Disease With DNA — Anne Wojcick (married to Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google; now separated)
    • How Dare A Hairdresser Bring The Internet To Africa — Njeri Rionge (no Wikipage, which I think is odd)
    • How Dare A Director Take 12 Years To Shoot One Film — Richard Linklater (regarding Boyhood, incase this film has slipped by some readers)
    • How Dare A College Dropout Invent The Personal Computer — Steve Wozniak

That's amazing! 5/5 correct.

????
  • Reply 59 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Many of his films are also notable for their depiction of violence and liberal use of profanity. Scorsese has been married five times. Divorced three times.

I am extremely curious how the marital life of a world famous director is related to the quality of the ad he directed.

• Reply 60 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think these outdated stands will soon be far in the past. While I don't like Google's Glass, we go towards a world where you WILL record your life for obvious security reasons, just like a lot of drivers already have a dashboard cam.

I know three different friends who got mugged or otherwise attacked at concerts. In the near future, not recording will actually be the exception, not the rule, and artists who try to protect their work this way will get sued for unnecessarily endangering people's security.

We live in a weird world, but whether to not we like it, what is, is.