Google launches new YouTube Kids app on Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2015
Parents with young children now have a new option for tablet-based entertainment, as Google on Monday officially unveiled YouTube Kids, a new app for the video sharing site focused on enabling children to discover content for themselves.

YouTube Kids breaks video content down into four categories: Shows, Music, Learning, and Explore. The app also includes a search function to find specific videos, and YouTube says that it will only display content appropriate for children.

Google has secured content for YouTube Kids from DreamWorks TV, Jim Henson TV, Mother Goose Club, and Talking Tom and Friends, among others. A curated selection of videos from existing kid-friendly YouTube channels is available as well.

Parents can set limits for the length of time that children can use the app, and background music and sound effects can be disabled. The search function can also be turned off, restricting viewing to only pre-approved videos.

YouTube Kids was initially leaked late last week, and reports suggested that it would debut exclusively on Android, though that is not the case. The app is available now as a free, 45-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

Waaaiiit, I thought the naysayers were saying this was going to be an Android exclusive?

Google knows where the money is - and it's not on Android.

• Reply 2 of 14
    <p>Waaaiiit, I thought the naysayers were saying this was going to be an Android exclusive?</p><p> </p><p>Google knows where the money is - and it's not on Android.</p>
    You mean Google submitted it to the App store and as they have no say on when it gets released into the wild just did the announcement of its release onto google play. Journalists then made up the rest of the story.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    No thanks google. Don't need you. PBS Kids (free) and Netflix rule on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. You're not going to suck my kids into your vortex and make them your product.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Is it only US or also available in other countries? Can't find it in the UK store.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by singularity View Post

You mean Google submitted it to the App store and as they have no say on when it gets released into the wild just did the announcement of its release onto google play. Journalists then made up the rest of the story.

That's not how the App Store works. The developer can have Apple release it as soon as it's approved, hold the app after approval until a date in the future, or hold the app after approval until you manually release it. Google purposely held the app back to give Android more thunder and a bunch of blog articles.

• Reply 6 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    konqerror wrote: »
    Google purposely held the app back to give Android more thunder and a bunch of blog articles.
    Bull.

It was released the same day (today I think but perhaps yesterday) for both Android and iOS.

EDIT: It was today. Google did not release it for Android before it did for iOS
    http://youtube-global.blogspot.ca/2015/02/youtube-kids.html
  • Reply 7 of 14
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Bull.

It was released the same day (today I think but perhaps yesterday) for both Android and iOS.

EDIT: It was today. Google did not release it first for Android.

Google Defense Force, Engage!

I'm sure this is as much of a poorly made piece of garbage as the regular YouTube app. Wouldn't download it even if I had kids.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

I'm sure this is as much of a poorly made piece of garbage as the regular YouTube app. Wouldn't download it even if I had kids.
    No idea if it's any good. I don't have young kids at home so I've no intention of using it anymore than you do. As far as Google Defense Force goes if someone makes something up it it should be corrected, or don't you agree? Doesn't matter if its made up Google, Apple or Microsoft FUD does it?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

That's not how the App Store works. The developer can have Apple release it as soon as it's approved, hold the app after approval until a date in the future, or hold the app after approval until you manually release it. Google purposely held the app back to give Android more thunder and a bunch of blog articles.

Face it. Nobody here knows when it actually received approval to be released. All just speculation.

• Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Face it. Nobody here knows when it actually received approval to be released. All just speculation.

You missed the point: it's easy for Google, or any developer, to synchronize release dates across multiple platforms/stores. Submit the app with it set to hold, when it's approved in all your stores, put out the publicity, then click release in the stores.

• Reply 11 of 14
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    freerange wrote: »
    No thanks google. Don't need you. PBS Kids (free) and Netflix rule on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. You're not going to suck my kids into your vortex and make them your product.

I would definitely give my kids Netflix before subjecting them to google's behavioral marketing microscope.

If I had kids.

"At Google, people are our most important product".

Of course, that's also what they said about Soylent Green.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Bull.

EDIT: It was today. Google did not release it first for Android.

Me neither, though I, too, own no goats.
  • Reply 13 of 14

This is similar to an application I made a while ago...

It is called "Totstube Free" and It is available on both Google Play and the app store..

Apple App Store:

https://appsto.re/us/SRbN4.i

Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wodocorp.totstubefree ;