Latest Apple mystery van sightings occur in California, Florida, Hawaii, Arizona [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    All these places are nice and sunny this time of year.
    Look for the van in the Northeast during the summer.

They are working on maping data for Apple map.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    So Apple is enhancing Maps, but only in places that have warm climates?

And as the article states, I think it should be pretty obvious by now that these vans have absolutely nothing to do with Apple manufacturing its own electric car.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    crowley wrote: »
    What's the weird thing on the rear wheel? Is that normal?

Probably an odometer of some sort. What comes with the average car isn't that accurate and frankly many have poor resolution. Such an attachment would likely deal with both of those issues.
  • Reply 25 of 60

I saw the van on Sunday around lunchtime, yesterday, on Anderson Drive in San Rafael, California headed westward. Beautiful clear day.

• Reply 26 of 60
    Looks like an Apple Street View is coming
  • Reply 27 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Did they make him wait five hours before he could talk to a service tech...

Not to talk to the tech but he did have to wait a couple hours for a part. He had a special heavy duty alternator and battery setup for all the electronics and they had to send the parts guy out to another dealer because they didn't stock that particular alternator which he said had gone out once before. Just a lot of miles and a heavy load on the electrical system.

• Reply 28 of 60
    ifij775 wrote: »
    Looks like an Apple Street View is coming

What do you think they'll cal it?
  • Reply 29 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^ We'reNotMakingACarView

• Reply 30 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

? Avenues

• Reply 31 of 60

Streeetwalker

• Reply 32 of 60
    mstone wrote: »
    ? Avenues

I could see that.

My ideas are all based on making it sound good with Flyover, like it's a continuing feature of the set: PathWay, ForeFront, StandPoint, Perspective, and other such terms, albeit without the camelCase since Flyover doesn't use it. Nothing I brainstormed sounded good to me.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Flyby?  Or maybe "Flyover Street"  (doesn't seem right to me, but then again, neither does FaceTime Audio)

• Reply 34 of 60
    I recently downloaded the 28 keynote address videos Apple has on iTunes to watch history unfold.

While watching the <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Macworld San Francisco 2008 Keynote Address by Steve Jobs, I had to laugh about how excited he was about Apple being able to sell 4 million iPhones in </span>
    the United States<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> in the first 200 days of the iPhone's release!</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">What made me stop watching the keynote to add a comment here starts at 17:50 minutes into the keynote.</span>

Here is what Steve Jobs had to say about Skyhook Wireless being used in an iPhone that did not have a GPS chip... "d<span style="line-height:1.4em;">riven the US and Canada in little cars with  antennas on them and GPS receivers in them and they mapped Wi-Fi hotspots.... Europe and Asia... triangulate beacons...".</span>

At that time, Google was triangulating cell towers.

Apple Maps just might be getting a major upgrade later this year in iOS 9!

crowley wrote: »
    What's the weird thing on the rear wheel? Is that normal?

[/quote]

In earlier pictures of these vans, I noticed that The LIDAR sensors were at an odd attitude -- different from those used by Google and NavTeq to map Street view. It could mean that these cars could map and trilaterate WiFi and Cell towers to determine location -- in addition to mapping street view. Then, an iDevice could use this data to determine its location instead of GPS.

@ leavingthebigG suggests that is what Steve was excited about in his post above.

In addition, it appears that Qualcomm has purchased the major GPS radio IP and manufacturers ...

Apple could use this new tech for leverage ...
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

What do you think they'll cal it?

"iSee"? "LookieHere"? "MapDeets"?

• Reply 36 of 60
    In earlier pictures of these vans, I noticed that The LIDAR sensors were at an odd attitude -- different from those used by Google and NavTeq to map Street view. It could mean that these cars could map and trilaterate WiFi and Cell towers to determine location -- in addition to mapping street view. Then, an iDevice could use this data to determine its location instead of GPS.

Check out [@]Geospatial[/@]'s posts on the subject. He seems to be intimately familiar with the specific HW used.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    What is pretty clear from all this is... Apple clearly knows what it's doing... And we don't have a clue!
  • Reply 38 of 60
    zhtway wrote: »
    Apple will bring Map to street level. But the approach is not like others. You will be looking from Fly over view and then you can zoom in to the street with a very precise and clear view. As you all see currently, streets on Flyover is so ugly. They will fix it once Map is upgraded.

Yes! That has great potential!

Here's a video I made in May of 2013 using Apple Maps 3D Flyover and Google Street view:

[VIDEO]

This video shows the Paris Westin Hotel on the Rue de Rivoli across from the Tuileries Gardens.

This illustrates the advantages and disadvantages of both:

Google Street View:
    • has better (real) images -- though it is cluttered with people and vehicles.
    • cannot zoom out/in for different perspective
    • quirky, serial, slow navigation -- limited to the paths available to Street View vehicles.

For example, because there was no street into the Tuileries Gardens or the courtyard of the Hotel -- Street View was unavailable for these areas.

I think that Apple will be able to deliver the best of both 3D Flyover and Street Views.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    mstone wrote: »
    ? Avenues

Or RueVue ... a French double entendre :D
  • Reply 40 of 60
    solipsismy wrote: »

Check out [@]Geospatial[/@]'s posts on the subject. He seems to be intimately familiar with the specific HW used.

Yesus Marta ...

The first @Geospatial post I checked mentioned:

http://www.mandli.com

First, the video:

[VIDEO]

This tech is about so much more than street view and location -- it can be used to monitor and evaluate the roads, signs, bridges, rails, buildings infrastructure.

Then there's this little beauty:

About

Maverick is a portable, powerful, and accessible spatial data collection system. Combining high-resolution 360º imaging, high-definition LiDAR, and an integrated position and orientation system, Maverick is capable of efficient and accurate mobile data collection. The vehicle-mounted system is able to operate in a wide range of conditions and can be utilized for projects of any size and scope.

System operation is simple and intuitive, and only requires one person to collect and review the data. The included collection software features realtime component feedback and data viewing functionality, allowing for data to be easily collected and quality checked in-field. Maverick also comes packaged with robust viewing and asset management software for putting your data to use.

Maverick can be easily mounted on a wide range of vehicles, and can be both installed and removed by a single individual. Compact shipping cases make travel easy, with options to check and carry-on components as needed. Training and support packages are custom tailored to the meet the needs of any project.

The high-resolution imaging and LiDAR components provide a wide and long range field-of-view. Combined with the synchronized positioning data the Maverick provides a robust and multi-functional dataset that can be utilized for a wide range of projects and applications.

http://www.mandli.com/maverick/

Mmm ... I wonder ... My daughter just bought a new Jeep Cherokee ... She's only driven 3,000 miles & itching to take some road trips ...

Maybe some opportunity for crowd-sourcing ...