Apple introduces emoji diversity options with latest iOS 8.3, OS X 10.10.3 betas

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Starting with the latest betas of iOS 8.3 and OS X 10.10.3, new alternate skin color options are available when selecting emojis of people and faces. In addition, Siri has added a host of new languages on iPhone and iPad.

The diversity options for emoji can be selected by clicking or tapping and holding on any character. From there, a pop-up menu will present skin tones in a wide range.

The new emoji options can be found in the second betas of both iOS 8.3 and OS X 10.10.3, both of which were supplied to developers on Monday. By default, the skin color when selecting an emoji is yellow.

In addition, Apple has also added emoji icons for flags for a variety of new countries.

The company also made a few Apple-centric emoji updates, using the Apple Watch to represent the "watch" icon, while the iPhone 6 is used for the "mobile phone" emoji. The "personal computer" icon is also represented by a small iMac all-in-one desktop.

The latest update follows up on a change in iOS 8.3 beta 1, which made it easier to scroll through emoji. The forthcoming update for iPhone and iPad will allow users to quickly swipe through icons to find the one they are looking for.

Developers testing the second beta of iOS 8.3 has also added support for Siri in new languages. The voice-driven personal assistant has gained New Zealand English, Indian English, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Dutch, Danish, Thai, and Turkish.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Is this to support the new unicode emoji diversity or a separate effort from Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 81
    Hmm... cue Apple][ et. al (where is he, btw) on why this is just multicultural pandering, how Apple's going down the toilet, and why Tim Cook needs to be fired.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmm... cue Apple][ et. al (where is he, btw) on why this is just multicultural pandering, how Apple's going down the toilet, and why Tim Cook needs to be fired.

He'd probably go off on the same sex family too.

• Reply 4 of 81

Is he against Tim Cook?
  • Reply 5 of 81
    solipsismy wrote: »

Is he against Tim Cook?

Perhaps you missed the "et. al"?
  • Reply 6 of 81
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Didn't realise the human skin tone default was "jaundice".

Otherwise, good stuff.

• Reply 7 of 81

Looks like they have the Freddie Mercury emoji all ready to go...

• Reply 8 of 81
    Perhaps you missed the "et. al"?

I didn't miss it. "and others" just means that others feel the same way as [@]Apple ][[/@]. I know of others that want Tim Cook's head on a platter, but I don't seem to recall Apple ][ was one of them. He seems to be high on Apple even if he hates that Apple believes in civil rights is liberal.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I didn't miss it. "and others" just means that others feel the same way as [@]Apple ][[/@]. I know of others that want Tim Cook's head on a platter, but I don't seem to recall Apple ][ was one of them. He seems to be high on Apple even if he hates that Apple believes in civil rights is liberal.

He's been on my block list for so long I could be wrong, but I seem to recall you are correct.
  • Reply 10 of 81

Which party championed the Civil Rights Act again? (Hint: it wasnt the democrats).
  • Reply 11 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

LOL.

How do you access this stuff on a Mac? I just loaded the latest 10.10.3 and wanted to try.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    LOL.

How do you access this stuff on a Mac? I just loaded the latest 10.10.3 and wanted to try.

Edit » Special Characters… ^?Space
  • Reply 13 of 81
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    mstone wrote: »

He'd probably go off on the same sex family too.

It looks like they've got icons for a whole range of family setups: two men, two women, woman and man plus one or two kids with variants of girls and boys. There's not enough yet though, they need all the race variations in the family too with all the children potentially adopted.

I wish they'd get someone better to draw these things, they look terrible.

They can make some characters in a way that they can be male or female to cut down on the amount needing drawn.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    I think this is just due to the Unicode standard. Nothing to see here. All of them look pretty distracting to me whatever the 'skin color', no doubt these are culturally valuable somewhere but I'll stick with my old school ascii smileys whenever I can.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It looks like they've got icons for a whole range of family setups: two men, two women, woman and man plus one or two kids with variants of girls and boys. There's not enough yet though, they need all the race variations in the family too with all the children potentially adopted.

They can make some characters in a way that they can be male or female to cut down on the amount needing drawn.

This is what happens when finger puppets are allowed to marry.  /s

• Reply 16 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Maybe they also need plural marriage combinations and different religions. What about the pets? fish/birds/cats/dogs/...

• Reply 17 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Which party championed the Civil Rights Act again? (Hint: it wasnt the democrats).

This is deceptive. For one thing the 1964 Civil Rights Act was introduced by a Democrat and signed by a Democratic President. And although the Democrats were more split in their votes than the Republicans of the day (because at this time the Democratic party was divided between northern liberals and southern conservatives ... sometimes referred to as dixiecrats) both parties ultimately voted yay. Political parties evolve over decades and make for a poor comparison in the context of contemporary politics. It's like saying a once-great sports team is just as good because they wear the same jersey.

• Reply 18 of 81

I think it is pretty obvious that them using the iMac for their PC representation is the death knell of the Mac Pro.

• Reply 19 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It is not about which party but which philosophy. During the era of segregation, in the south, the democrats were the conservative party, now it is the republicans who are the conservatives. As with any philosophy there are extremes and modern times seems to have polarized each end of the political spectrum. These days the democrats are generally thought to be more liberal and inclusive of diversity.

• Reply 20 of 81
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    This is what happens when finger puppets are allowed to marry.
    Gay finger puppet marriages are what caused the blizzard on the Eastern Seaboard. I hope Apple are happy.