Apple introduces emoji diversity options with latest iOS 8.3, OS X 10.10.3 betas

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is not about which party but which philosophy. During the era of segregation, in the south, the democrats were the conservative party, now it is the republicans who are the conservatives. As with any philosophy there are extremes and modern times seems to have polarized each end of the political spectrum. These days the democrats are generally thought to be more liberal and inclusive of diversity.

Depends on how you define "liberal" I suppose. Libertarian philosophy is also known as a "classical liberal" philosophy. Both the Democrat and Republican parties, on the other hand, are big government, special interest driven warmongers.

• Reply 22 of 81
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Which party championed the Civil Rights Act again? (Hint: it wasnt the democrats).

Nice bit of revisionism, but since the bill was demanded by Kennedy(s), championed by LBJ, and strengthened in Democrat-led committees, despite Republican efforts to water it down, I'd say, yes, "the Democrats", but thanks for the "hint".

It's certainly true that some southern Democrats were against it, and that was the primary impetus in the south going from generally Democrat to its current Republican orientation, but really, since Lincoln the Republican party spent decades moving away from civil reforms.

But, my apologies, there certainly isn't space here, nor is this the proper venue for hashing out all the applicable nuances to this.

• Reply 23 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Depends on how you define "liberal" I suppose. Libertarian philosophy is also known as a "classical liberal" philosophy. Both the Democrat and Republican parties, on the other hand, are big government, special interest driven warmongers.

I don't have anything against Libertarians even though I disagree with most of their philosophy, but since they make up less than 1% of  voters it doesn't affect me at all. Pretty much a rounding error. Personally I vote Democratic. Mostly a wasted effort though because Orange County is staunchly Republican, and the rest of California is overwhelmingly Democratic so my vote doesn't really affect anything either.

• Reply 24 of 81
    Apple would do all of us a world of more good if it spent some money to upgrade OS X's dreadful spell checker. Its vocabulary is that of a college sophomore (For example, it doesn't know about exceptionalism, which has been a hotly debated political topic for at least a decade.) Its anemic correction suggestions are so poor they would would shame a spell checker from the 1980s.

The spell checker ought to be smart enough to know whether a particular hyphenation is standard or not (i.e. that email has replace e-mail), Instead, it's so clueless about hyphenation that it thinks any two English words can be joined with a hyphen. I kid you not%u2014any two words.

For the vocabulary, Apple could spend prehaps 30 second of its profit and buy the regularly updated rights to a top-notch professional dictionary. It'd save everyone who writes anything%u2014which is tens of millions of Mac user%u2014the time they waste looking up words the present dictionary doesn't know.

Also, why can't Apple build GREP into text services, so dozens of apps can add its handy features? The source code is open source, so the cost would be minimal.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Also, why can't Apple build GREP into text services, so dozens of apps can add its handy features? The source code is open source, so the cost would be minimal.

Probably because grep is a command line tool only. It is no longer a software application but part of the UNIX operating system. I suppose it would be possible to build a feature into a writing application that would make a shell call and pop up a window with the result, but it would probably be a major security risk to allow an application access to the command line

• Reply 26 of 81
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

Oh, uh, yes, it was. The Senators who held it up were all from where geographic region? 

And what happened to the Sold Democrats South after the civil rights act was signed? 

And there's still the Solid South, but which party do they belong to? 

I myself am an unreconstructed Whig. 

• Reply 27 of 81
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

Important though, in that they stay in the Republican party for garnish. 

• Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't have anything against Libertarians even though I disagree with most of their philosophy, but since they make up less than 1% of  voters it doesn't affect me at all. Pretty much a rounding error. Personally I vote Democratic. Mostly a wasted effort though because Orange County is staunchly Republican, and the rest of California is overwhelmingly Democratic so my vote doesn't really affect anything either.

I guess our votes cancel each other out. ????

• Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Oh, uh, yes, it was. The Senators who held it up were all from where geographic region? 

And what happened to the Sold Democrats South after the civil rights act was signed? 

And there's still the Solid South, but which party do they belong to? 

I myself am an unreconstructed Whig. 

I am a powdered Whig, also known as a "toupee" (not to be confused with Apple Pay)...

• Reply 30 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Hmm... cue Apple][ et. al (where is he, btw) on why this is just multicultural pandering, how Apple's going down the toilet, and why Tim Cook needs to be fired.

He was banned I think, though I don't know what finally did it. It looks like the ban is now lifted, but maybe he is too ashamed to come back (ha-ha). Anyway, he was never anti Tim Cook.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    flaneur wrote: »
    He was banned I think, though I don't know what finally did it. It looks like the ban is now lifted, but maybe he is too ashamed to come back (ha-ha). Anyway, he was never anti Tim Cook.

Anti-Obama, anti-Liberal, anti-civil liberties, anti-poor, anti-foreigners (even if they aren't in their own country), anti-Samsung, anti-Google, anti-Android, anti-any company (its employees and customers) that competes with Apple in anyway, but I can't remember him ever being anti-Cook.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    [quote name="AppleInsider" url="/t/184912/apple-introduces-emoji-diversity-options-with-latest-ios-8-3-os-x-10-10-3-betas#post_2680071"][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/55696/width/100/height/400[/IMG] [/QUOTE]

Is that a same-sex couple?

[QUOTE][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/55697/width/100/height/400[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Would Apple include ?Watch in there if they really thought it was going to be a failed product they want people to forget about?
  • Reply 33 of 81

I've installed 8.3b2 on my iPhone and can't for the life of me see how you can use Emojis with different skin tones.

I've tried tapping and holding but I'm not presented with any options.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Figured it out. You're only presented with the different skin tones on the characters that have human faces, that is something like this ????????.

However, if you're using an emoji that is the standard round face, i.e. ???? you don't get the option of changing skin tone.

• Reply 34 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Edit » Special Characters… ^?Space

Thanks

????
  • Reply 35 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Would Apple include ?Watch in there if they really thought it was going to be a failed product they want people to forget about?

Well, there is no Macbook or iPad emoji yet. Does that say something?

• Reply 36 of 81
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Is that a same-sex couple?

If you hover it tells you what's what which is good ... so as to avoid mistakes.

• Reply 37 of 81
    staticx57 wrote: »
    Well, there is no Macbook or iPad emoji yet. Does that say something?

You think? 1000
  • Reply 38 of 81
    ???? is the only family that is blessed by God.

I look forward to Cook renaming Apple Dell, so PC has he made it.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

???? is the only family that is blessed by God.

I never could understand what blessed by God actually meant.

Is that when a semi truck veers of the road hitting a Christian school bus killing nearly everyone onboard by fire mostly teenagers or when twenty Christian workers are beheaded for dramatic effect in some terrorist publicity video? Where exactly is the blessing?

• Reply 40 of 81
    mstone wrote: »
    I never could understand what blessed by God actually meant.

Is that when a semi truck veers of the road hitting a Christian school bus killing nearly everyone onboard by fire mostly teenagers or when twenty Christian workers are beaded for dramatic effect in some terrorist publicity video? Where exactly is the blessing?

When it's bad you just say god has a plan and works in mysterious ways. The one thing you don't do is question anything written in the bible, because independent and rational thought is the enemy.