Apple's World Travel Adapter Kit returns with Brazil socket support, lower price

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
In a change to its online storefront on Monday, Apple introduced a revised World Travel Adapter Kit with a total of seven AC plug types and a reduced price of $29, as the package no longer includes a USB power adapter or cable.

The stripped-down set is a replacement for the legacy World Travel Adapter Kit, which came priced at $39 and included six AC plugs, a USB power adapter and USB-to-30-pin cable. Apple drew down sales of the legacy adapter package late last year, advertising Twelve South's PlugBug World Charger and Power Adapter as a suitable alternative.

With its new product version, Apple expands support to travelers visiting Brazil, a country predominantly outfitted with Type N electrical outlets. Support for North America, Japan, China, United Kingdom, Continental Europe, Korea, Australia and Hong Kong are carried over from the previous kit.

Apple notes the seven modular AC plugs cover the gamut in terms of compatibility and can be used with MagSafe and MagSafe 2 power adapters, 10 watt and 12 watt USB adapters and Portable Power Adapters. In addition, the kit is designed to work with iPod, iPhone and iPad, though users will have to supply their own 30-pin or Lightning cables.

The latest World Travel Adapter Kit is available now at most brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, as well as the company's online storefront, for $29. As the product is new, certain locations may not have supply on hand, but customers can check current stock levels via the Online Apple Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15

Geez, why’d it take ‘em so long?

AND WHERE’S MY IPHONE SIX DOCK. I have to lay it on my cardboard mockup like it’s an ANIMAL.

• Reply 2 of 15
    Why oh why don't we have one plug for all the world?

Life would be so much easier.

One language, too: English. Others may be allowed for music.
  • Reply 3 of 15

One measurement system: Imperial. Metric is for hippies. (I'm not joking).

If only we'd gotten everyone to standardize on 120v, 60hz power. But everyone had to be different...
  • Reply 4 of 15

Not going happen in our lifetimes, some claim different voltages and hertz are better, what would be best is a universal converter, or making it down to 2 or 3 and building all outlets with all 2-3, but then power grids, etc., etc. will kill it.
  • Reply 5 of 15

That's right, there's nothing but a bunch of hippies here in mexico. *Sarcasm*

• Reply 6 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    One measurement system: Imperial. Metric is for hippies. (I'm not joking).

If only we'd gotten everyone to standardize on 120v, 60hz power. But everyone had to be different...
    I'm a bit of both but metric is the only logical system in this day and age. It is kinda beautiful the way it is all based on water, too. I do like imperial, too. I like the fact that it is all based on the human body. Kinda quaint. Why do you think metric is hippie? That's an odd one, for sure.
    Oh and seriously, 240v is way superior. It zaps you a little more when you get a shock, is all.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    photo on box does not show any Type N connector.
    something is wrong with either your info or something else.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    niji wrote: »
    photo on box does not show any Type N connector.
    something is wrong with either your info or something else.

That isn't the connector used in Brasil in the upper center of the box image?

Apple's site specifically mentions Brasil in the product details.
  • Reply 9 of 15

hi

no. the connector in the upper center is either the EU one, or, the Korean one. the EU and the Korean one are very very similar and can't be told apart from just looking at the photo. 

a "Brazil" type or, "Type N" connector has 3 round pins (2 pins in a row, and a 3rd round pin slightly above, used as a ground)

there is NO Type N connector associated with that graphic.

i think that apple insider info is wrong: there is no type n connector to be sold. brazil uses other connectors in addition to type N.

in the apple info it never mentions type n. only in the apple insider info does it mention type n. 

• Reply 10 of 15
    niji wrote: »

hi
    no. the connector in the upper center is either the EU one, or, the Korean one. the EU and the Korean one are very very similar and can't be told apart from just looking at the photo. 
    a "Brazil" type or, "Type N" connector has 3 round pins (2 pins in a row, and a 3rd round pin slightly above, used as a ground)
    there is NO Type N connector associated with that graphic.

i think that apple insider info is wrong: there is no type n connector to be sold. brazil uses other connectors in addition to type N.
    in the apple info it never mentions type n. only in the apple insider info does it mention type n. 

Is the center, ground connector required? If not the Type-N for Brasil which one is for Brasil and what is it called?

edit: How about the Type-C for Brasil?

"The Brazil NBR 6147 standard 2 prong 10 amp non-grounded standard is new. Cords are manufactured in compliance with Brazilian NBR 6147 standards. INMETRO and CSA agency approvals and certifications are available on the product specification page. IEC Type C."

• Reply 11 of 15

hi

i think your graphic is correct.

type C (your graphic) is used in Brazil.

as i mentioned, the apple insider info needs to be corrected. it is wrong. 

apple does not say they are selling a type N. the graphics on the apple box does not indicate type N. 

• Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Definitely not English.

If we had to stick to one language, then anything other than english. Most languages are better structured than English.

• Reply 13 of 15
    iamnemani wrote: »

Definitely not English.

If we had to stick to one language, then anything other than english. Most languages are better structured than English.

Nonsense.

English only, please.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

There are companies that make a single device that works with the outlets of many countries - some have folding plugs, some have sliders that release the correct configuration.

This is a folding type:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221360577789

This is the sliding type: http://www.peachsuite.com/209073/international-travel-plug-adapter-ac-outlet-for-notebook-pc-cell-phone-110v-kmw33117.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=bingshopping

Much easier than traveling with a bunch of adapters, although the two above are not absolutely universal.  You would think Apple would have come up with a super-elegant single device that had the same functionality as the two devices above, but far more refined.   Who needs a whole box of different adapters?  Who wants to travel with all that?   It's usually unnecessary anyway unless you're a road warrior and would travel to more than one continent on the same trip.

I remember before network access and WiFi when we also had to travel with all manner of phone adapters.   And some of them were unbelievably large - not like the small modular connector we used in the U.S. (one of the few things we got right).

-----

As far as electrical voltage is concerned, if an entire system was being built from scratch today, it would probably be designed to provide us with both 110v or 220v AC as well as low voltage DC.   If we had low voltage DC in our walls universally, most of our electrical and electronic devices could be manufactured for far less money as they wouldn't need transformers and rectifier circuits to provide low-voltage DC.   Instead, we currently put a power supply into every device (or in a brick).    There are already "outlets" you can buy that convert 110v AC to USB charging. 

The advantage of 220v over 110v is that for the same wattage, 220v needs half the current.    However if the cost of that is having to use the humungous plugs and outlets used in the UK, no thank you (not that it should).    But 60Hz is better than 50Hz.   With analog TV, the flutter in the images in the UK used to make me nuts.  

As far as measures are concerned, it really should be metric.   The only reason we're not metric in the U.S. today is because we're a nation of idiots who simply couldn't teach ourselves metric measures (although most soda sold in bottles is sold in one-liter or two-liter sizes and I bet that 30% of Americans couldn't even tell you how many ounces are in a quart anyway - in fact I don't think many know how many quarts are in a gallon).   I suspect that if a liter had been less than a quart instead of 1.8 ounces more, U.S. companies would have switched a long time ago, by charging us the same for a liter as they had for a quart.   

But fahrenheit is still better than celsius because there's far more resolution, even though celsius is more logical. 

And if there were only one language, many futurists in the past proposed that it be Esperanto.    But it's silly to argue over because there is absolutely never, ever going to be only one language and 95% of people would probably pick their own native language as the one the world should adopt, just like the religion they were born into just happens to be the one true religion.   What a coincidence!

• Reply 15 of 15

It is looking a nice kit. Ofcourse it will be very helpful during the travel.  All the adapters it contains are compatible with the common sockets of the world.  But i think that apple insider info is wrong: there is no type n connector to be sold. brazil uses other connectors in addition to type N.

prototype pcb assembly