Microsoft Band adds MapMyFitness & HealthVault support, but still no Apple HealthKit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
The wearable fitness tracking Microsoft Band received an update this week adding support for biking, and integration with MapMyFitness and Microsoft's own HealthVault service, but it still lacks compatibility with Apple's HealthKit tools and Health app for iOS 8.

In addition to support for HealthVault and MapMyFitness, Microsoft has also launched a Microsoft Band SDK Developer Preview for third-party developers. Microsoft said this week's update is the first in a series devoted to its health-focused platform and hardware.

An update to the Band itself also adds a new "Bike Tile" to the wrist-worn device. With it, users can track their bike rides both indoors and out, utilizing the hardware's heart rate monitor, GPS, elevation tracking capabilities and more.

Microsoft also added five new indoor biking workouts to its Guided Workouts, and a new Quick Read option gives users the ability to scan texts, emails and other notifications sent to their iPhone.

Also new this week is the Microsoft Health Web dashboard, which allows users to access their data from a Web browser.

When the Band launched last fall, Microsoft said it planned to integrate with Apple's HealthKit tools introduced in iOS 8. AppleInsider asked the company this week when customers might be able to expect support for Apple Health, and a Microsoft representative provided the following response:

"We know consumers want to find ways of marrying data from their favorite applications, services and devices to develop insights based on a holistic view of their fitness and work habits. Today's update for Microsoft Health & Microsoft Band includes integration with MapMyFitness and Microsoft HealthVault. We look forward to sharing details of new partnerships and integration with additional applications, services and devices in the future."

Priced at $199, the Microsoft Band is less full-featured than the forthcoming Apple Watch, focusing instead on health and fitness tracking without the built-in storage necessary for complex third-party applications. AppleInsider reviewed the Band last year and found it to be a decent fitness-focused product, the highlight of which was its built-in GPS capabilities, allowing iPhone users to track a run or bike ride without bringing their handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Has anyone received the iOS version update? I know some Windows Phone users have but still waiting here.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Is it waterproof?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Given Microsoft's presence in Mobile is lower than 'other' (that collection of stuff no one has heard of) in the category, I wonder why anyone even bother's reporting on what the company does these days.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Looks goofy. Only hardcore MS goofs cud possibly be interested and are no doubt flocking to buy.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    eightzero wrote: »
    Is it waterproof?

It's "LIMITED" :lol:
  • Reply 6 of 15
    That is funny, great features but they only produce 12 per month. (sarcasm)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Ooh, how witty. NOT!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    rob bonner wrote: »
    That is funny, great features but they only produce 12 per month. (sarcasm)

Nice. An Apple fan boy. Well, boy...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Looks goofy. Only hardcore MS goofs cud possibly be interested and are no doubt flocking to buy.

Hahaha! Not shiny ? enough for you?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I predict the price of MS Band will being dropping considerably this year… and still won't sell.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    That's interesting. Censorship on appleinsider.com. Flaky criticism on everything not-Apple seems to be okay. The rest is not. Let me remove my account right away! Curious if this post makes it. Probably not. Right, mr. Hughes?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I predict the price of MS Band will being dropping considerably this year… and still won't sell.
    \

To paraphrase Mazda ... Zune zune ...
  • Reply 13 of 15

The group pf folks must be getting old these days, the younger generation probably wonder what a micro soft is!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I was happy to see MS supported iOS, Android and Windows out of the box. So far I have been very happy with it. Not sure why so many short sighted comments but that is fairly typical here.

As far as MS not innovating - how about the Microsoft Halo Lens? Makes Google Glass and Oculus VR seem outdate already.

Water resistance - it is IPX7. I have run in Singapore during their typical afternoon downpour for an hour and it was perfectly fine.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephmarlin View Post

The group pf folks must be getting old these days, the younger generation probably wonder what a micro soft is!

Nadella's penis, I suppose.

Sorry.