Apple expands Maps Flyover support to 9 new locations including Venice, Italy

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
As part of Apple's continued effort to build out its in-house mapping service, the company recently added nine new cities, including Venice, Italy, to the list of locations sporting 3D Flyover support.

The latest Maps Flyover additions were announced through Apple's iOS 8 feature availability webpage and include a number of medium- to large-sized cities across Europe and North America.

Apple's updated Flyover coverage includes the following locales:
  • Baton Rouge, La.
  • Boise, Idaho
  • C?ceres, Spain
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Guadalajara, Mexico
  • Ponce, Puerto Rico
  • Linz, Austria
  • Rennes, France
  • Venice, Italy
First introduced as part of iOS 6 in 2012, Flyover is touted by Apple as a tentpole feature that sets Apple Maps apart from competitors like Google Maps. The service incorporates high-resolution images with wireframe models to provide interactive three-dimensional composites of cities, landmarks and points of interest.

The latest Flyover updates are being pushed out to Apple Maps servers now, meaning 3D assets may not be immediately available to all users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Any ?Cars spotted in any of those cities?
  • Reply 2 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »

I only saw boats in Venice. :lol:
  • Reply 3 of 48
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I only saw boats in Venice. :lol:

LOL. Yes, I suppose they'll need to also use both ?Boats, as well as ?People for the areas that only allow foot traffic.

• Reply 4 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Awesome. Always wanted to see Venice in flyover mode. Incredible place, visited a couple yrs ago. Smells like fish and its kind of a tourist trap, but worth experiencing.
  • Reply 5 of 48

Can we PLEASE get Washington, DC and surrounding metro area?

• Reply 6 of 48
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Venice is truly unique. Incredible place.

Question: how can something as flyover be rolled out?
  • Reply 7 of 48
    clemynx wrote: »
    Venice is truly unique. Incredible place.

Amazing what man can build to avoid invading hoardes.
  • Reply 8 of 48

Definitely an interesting history.
  • Reply 9 of 48

I'd bet her footage had to be thrown out because of all the times she was stopped by men.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    (*scream*), instead of making prettier maps, they should have spent the time to add public transportation support.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

That was at the beginning but yes.
    A city like Venice would be impossible to build nowadays, there are literally several palaces in every street, and hundreds of churches with frescos made by the top Renaissance painters. It's a jewel. So precious that most people don't even realize when they're there. Everything is carved, painted and built with extreme care.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    I imagine there is a lot of restricted air space around Washington DC.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    mochi fung wrote: »
    (*scream*), instead of making prettier maps, they should have spent the time to add public transportation support.

I really hate these shortsighted comments that imply that such tasks are mutually exclusive, as if the people working on Flyover are the same one that would be coding for public transportation.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Good they got Venice while it's still above water.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adhir View Post

Can we PLEASE get Washington, DC and surrounding metro area?

I wonder if Homeland Security pushes against that? Details of D.C. building rooftops have long been censored....

• Reply 16 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

I wonder if Homeland Security pushes against that? Details of D.C. building rooftops have long been censored....

Maybe Apple can fly over and film DC if the Republicans stop funding Homeland Security as they are threatening to do?
  • Reply 17 of 48

I live in the BR and I've yet to see one of those vehicles here. However, the city has been a testing bed for the AppleCare college program and has the state's only Apple Store.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Good they got Venice while it's still above water.

If I remember correctly they're building some type of dam to restrict the influx of water.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    I always see these articles on Flyover updates and I can't see any of them listed here in Flyover. I never get the option. I'm still waiting for the last list like Devils Tower.

Running Yosemite 10.10.2 here.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I really hate these shortsighted comments that imply that such tasks are mutually exclusive, as if the people working on Flyover are the same one that would be coding for public transportation.

I really hate these shortsighted comments that imply the author is saying the tasks are mutually exclusive, as if there is an infinite resource of people that can work on Flyover and code for public transportation separately.