Apple's Jony Ive and Tesla's Elon Musk 'inseparable' in conversation at Oscars afterparty

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
One of the top designers in the world and the leader in electric car technology were spotted engrossed in private conversation this past Sunday at an exclusive Academy Awards afterparty, amidst a flurry of rumors surrounding Apple's rumored plans to build its own electric, autonomous car.

Elon Musk and Jony Ive in attendance at the 2015 Vanity Fair Oscar afterparty

A source tells AppleInsider that both Jony Ive, Apple's famed designer, and Tesla CEO Elon Musk were among the attendees at Madonna's A-list Oscar afterparty on Sunday -- an extremely exclusive event where all press and photography are strictly prohibited. Ive and Musk were observed speaking "really close" and "basically inseparable" from each other for a period that seemed to stretch on for roughly 30 minutes, this person said.

The source said that Ive was walking around with a few people at the party before he was approached by Musk and their conversation began. The two were said to have exited the party together at around 5 a.m.

Of course, it's unknown exactly what the two icons may have shared with each other. But with recent reports suggesting Apple is working on some form of electric car -- and Tesla serving as the current leader in electric car advancement -- the alleged meeting and future interactions are sure to fuel the already rampant speculation on the matter.

Given the tight security and no-press-allowed rules of the event, there are no photos of Ive and Musk in conversation. But both men, along with Steve Jobs's widow Laurene Powell, were spotted in attendance earlier in the day at the Vanity Fair Oscar party.

Jony Ive and his wife Heather Pegg at the 2015 Vanity Fair Oscar afterparty.

Madonna's Oscar party in Coldwater Canyon is commonly known in Hollywood circles as the afterparty of the popular Vanity Fair Oscar party, where both Ive and Musk were confirmed in attendance. Celebrities have been particularly drawn to the strict no press, no photographers policy of Madonna's gathering. This year's event was sponsored by Gucci, which provided attendees with an exclusive Gucci passport wallet as a party favor on their way out.

Gucci passport wallets were provided to guests of Madonna's exclusive Oscar afterparty.

The meeting between Ive and Musk also comes after Musk himself revealed that Apple has been offering $250,000 bonuses and 60 percent raises in an effort to recruit some of his top Tesla engineers. According to Musk, while Apple has tried "very hard" to recruit Tesla employees, "very few people" have actually jumped ship.

It was also reported a year ago that high ranking officials from Apple and Tesla have also met privately. Musk himself later confirmed the talks, but called a sale of his company to Apple "very unlikely."

At the time it was suggested that the two companies could be collaborating on battery technology. In particular, Tesla is at work on a so-called "gigafactory" for the manufacturing of lithium-ion batteries -- components crucial not only to Tesla's vehicles, but also to Apple's portable devices.

Much has changed in the last year, however, and now it's believed that Apple and Tesla could find themselves at odds, if Apple is indeed working on a car inside its secret labs. One report from earlier this month quoted an unnamed insider as saying that Apple's project will go as far as to "change the landscape and give Tesla a run for its money."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 141
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Jony may have style but he obviously doesn't have taste. Madonna? Yuck!
  • Reply 2 of 141

"My car will be so beautiful."

"Oh really?"

"Of course. It has diamond-cut chamfered edges on the fenders."

"Fascinating. When can I see it?"

"Have to talk to Tim first."

I'd love to have just sat there and listened.

• Reply 3 of 141
    I still think it's likely that Apple and Tesla come to an agreement but until that happens or not Apple's going to plumb the well and see what they come up with.

I see little animosity with Tesla as the landscape really is competing with incumbent auto manufacturers who aren't sitting on their hands wrt to ICE vs EV.
  • Reply 4 of 141
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple starts beefing up R&D in the car space so they can drive down the acquisition price of Tesla and when they do acquire it they'll have all this knowledge to make integration that much easier. :smokey:
  • Reply 5 of 141
    They obviously spoke about the British occupation of South Africa in the 1800s.
  • Reply 6 of 141
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    NewsFlash: Watch for official announcement of a robot race on the moon, courtesy of Musk's Falcon9. Should be cool to watch!
  • Reply 7 of 141
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

It's obvious what happened...

Apple offered to buy Tesla, Elon declined. Instead Elon talked Tim into starting their own EV program - for a lot less money.

Was it a coincidence that a few months after the meeting between the two companies, Elon decided to give away all of Tesla's patents and IP? With that research, Apple (and anyone else) will not need to start from the beginning. They get a huge jump forward in developing their own car. Elon is more interested in pushing the EV industry forward, than he is in having the market to himself. Personally, I think he's become frustrated with the lack of development from the established players who are all still in bed with the oil companies. And I think he sees a very powerful ally in Apple, due to their size and resources. If Apple decides to enter this market, regardless of the lip service we've recently heard, every car manufacturer knows they're going to need to get off their asses.

If more manufacturers jump in, it'll be easier and much quicker to get the sales and charging station infrastructure in place.

• Reply 8 of 141
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    razorpit wrote: »
    Hell if Madonna invited me to a party I'd be there.
    byronl
  • Reply 9 of 141

Not for sale.  But a "merger" perhaps?

• Reply 10 of 141
    mjtomlin wrote: »

Apple offered to buy Tesla, Elon declined. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Instead Elon talked Tim into starting their own EV program - for a lot less money.</span>

Was it a coincidence that a few months after the meeting between the two companies, Elon decided to give away all of Tesla's patents and IP? With that research, Apple (and anyone else) will not need to start from the beginning. They get a huge jump forward in developing their own car. Elon is more interested in pushing the EV industry forward, than he is in having the market to himself. Personally, I think he's become frustrated with the (lack) of development from the established players who are all still in bed with the oil companies. And I think he sees a very powerful ally in Apple, due to their size and resources. If Apple decides to enter this market, regardless of the lip service we've recently heard, every car manufacturer knows they're going to need to get off their asses.

If more manufacturers jump in, it'll be easier and much quicker to get the sales and charging station infrastructure in place.

Great theory! I think you are on to something. Glad to see someone that actually understands Tesla and realizes every new EV is not a Tesla killer. More EVs is a good thing.
  • Reply 11 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Madge might not be your taste but she is one of the most successful women on this planet.

I'd imagine that she, Jony and Elon would have a lot to discuss.

• Reply 12 of 141

You all are are thinking too small. Here's the truth: We're finally going to get those flying cars we've been promised since the 1930s!

• Reply 13 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

"My car will be so beautiful."

"Oh really?"

"Of course. It has diamond-cut chamfered edges on the fenders."

"Fascinating. When can I see it?"

"Have to talk to Tim first."

I'd love to have just sat there and listened.

Actually, the conversation started like this...

Elon: How much is Apple paying you?

• Reply 14 of 141
    "Say, Jony, if you ever get tired of answering to no one at Apple, you could come to Tesla and answer to me."
  • Reply 15 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Say, Jony, if you ever get tired of answering to no one at Apple, you could come to Tesla and answer to me."

Yeah, I don't see Jony going to work anywhere else. He'll just retire, or go independent with Marc on something.

• Reply 16 of 141

Old joke

How do you separate the men from the boys at a Madonna party?

With a crowbar!

The question I have is:  who  is the "Top" and who is the "Bottom", Jony  Ive or Elon Musk?

Jony looks like the "butch" one to me! And with name like Musk that's so  obviously a submissive!

And will Jony's boss get jealous? or perhaps they are both Tim's "B...." !

thoughts?

• Reply 17 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Apple offered to buy Tesla, Elon declined. Instead Elon talked Tim into starting their own EV program - for a lot less money.

Was it a coincidence that a few months after the meeting between the two companies, Elon decided to give away all of Tesla's patents and IP? With that research, Apple (and anyone else) will not need to start from the beginning. They get a huge jump forward in developing their own car. Elon is more interested in pushing the EV industry forward, than he is in having the market to himself. Personally, I think he's become frustrated with the lack of development from the established players who are all still in bed with the oil companies. And I think he sees a very powerful ally in Apple, due to their size and resources. If Apple decides to enter this market, regardless of the lip service we've recently heard, every car manufacturer knows they're going to need to get off their asses.

Not  sure what Apple would get in buying Tesla.  Contrary to general reports Tesla is not working on new battery techs.  If anything Elon Musk is betting against new battery technology, because he does not think enough progress can be made fast enough.  Tesla is using off the shelve battery tech, nothing special.  GM and some of the other car companies are actually doing more research in that area then Tesla. So if Tesla does not have any battery tech that could give Apple an edge, why would Apple spend anywhere from 50-70 billion dollars to buy them?  If it's the engineer then they can just poached them.  Tesla advantage comes from their battery packaging and their software battery management, nothing more.  

• Reply 18 of 141
    Jony Ive isn't exactly the decision maker for Apple, so any conversations with Elon could simply have been related to non-business related matters. Maybe Elon is interested in the Watch? Maybe Ive wants one of the P85D cars? Although anything is possible, it's highly unlikely that their talk would have any implications on what may or may not be happening at Apple with regards to a car.
  • Reply 19 of 141
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    Jony Ive isn't exactly the decision maker for Apple, so any conversations with Elon could simply have been related to non-business related matters. Maybe Elon is interested in the Watch? Maybe Ive wants one of the P85D cars? Although anything is possible, it's highly unlikely that their talk would have any implications on what may or may not be happening at Apple with regards to a car.

That's what they want you to think.
  • Reply 20 of 141
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jmgregory1 wrote: »

Um this is how things get started. Executives schmooze with other executives at cocktail parties and things like this. I'm highly skeptical that Musk pulled Ive to the side to talk about random stuff.