Apple's Jony Ive and Tesla's Elon Musk 'inseparable' in conversation at Oscars afterparty

Comments

• Reply 61 of 141
    Tesla's super secrete Master plan is to get other manufactures to build desirable BEV's...

Do not tell anyone...!!!

• Reply 62 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

Sorry, that's a lip sync, not a live vocal performance,

her concert vocals are also 100% in the can, 

and she uses plenty of Auto-tune, it's just dialed back from Cher/Kanye levels.

Hahahahaha... what a bunch of bullshit.

• Reply 63 of 141
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    jmgregory1 wrote: »

I noted in another post something similar.  Elon knows the front end of both the S and X are a weak point in design.  They've wrestled with how to keep a visual connection to what people expect a car to have - like a front grill, on a car that in fact needs no front grill.  Past efforts by GM with their initial EV1, show just how bad a grill-less car can look, so Tesla tried to tack on something that would bring continuity and it didn't work visually. 

I don't know why but at times as a mental distraction I imagine car designs in my head. Apples problem is that the world does not need another me too sedan. They need a fresh approach to family vehicles. There are all sorts of one and two seater commuter cars that have been designed of late, which is great by the way, but a similarly new approach is needed for four seaters or family cars.

In the end stuffing an electric design into a conventional sedan design just isn't revolutionary nor does it leverage new technology. Like all of those fancy commuter cars that have been offered up over the last few years Apple needs fresh concepts.
  • Reply 64 of 141
    redefiler wrote: »
    Sorry, that's a lip sync, not a live vocal performance,
    her concert vocals are also 100% in the can, 
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">and she uses plenty of Auto-tune, it's just dialed back from Cher/Kanye levels.</span>

This screams as one of those I-don't-like-her-or-her-music-so-I'm-going-to-discredit-everything-about-her-including-her-vocal-talents comments previously mentioned.
  • Reply 65 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I've never understood Madonna hate. She has more talent in her little finger than most people do in their entire bodies. She writes her own music and doesn't need Autotune to sound good. Sure she's a bit weird but so are most artists. What's the issue??

Guess it's diva busting day... Madonna... here goes:

She doesn't write any of her songs, various people do that for her, but she insists on getting a songwriting credit (and a piece of the performance/mechanical royalties that goes with that).  She might write some lyrics, but definitely not the bulk.

She is very nice to the 'little people' in the studio (which is contrary to the bitchy reputation some have given her) but she's only there to sing her parts, which are then nuanced into what you hear.  Before auto-tune, someone would have to adjust each pitch by hand using an Eventide H3000 to nudge errant notes or a dedicated hardware sampler, where each syllable could be chopped up, re-pitched and re-timed.  Lady Gaga does the exact same thing Madonna's been doing since the 80's (or I should say, she hires people to do all that) just with modern technology.

• Reply 66 of 141
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ktappe wrote: »
    I've never understood Madonna hate. She has more talent in her little finger than most people do in their entire bodies. She writes her own music and doesn't need Autotune to sound good. Sure she's a bit weird but so are most artists. What's the issue??

What's the issue? People not understanding the gifts of others. I can't say I'm a big fan of her music but that doesn't mean I don't understand the drive and effort required to get where she is now.
  • Reply 67 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hahahahaha... what a bunch of bullshit.

Listen with your ears, not your eyes.

• Reply 68 of 141
    Quote:

The one thing I will not do is to believe anything you have to say about this subject.

• Reply 69 of 141

You should take your advice. Foremost, because you can look up countless YouTube videos of Gaga signing that aren't from a produced music video (like when she sang the US National Anthem) and tell she's not lip syncing. Second, your own comment requires that you look with your eyes because there is no other way to tell she is syncing her lips with the audio.
  • Reply 70 of 141
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Isn't Elon into poaching Apple employees?

He was probably just sweet talking Jony.
  • Reply 71 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

This screams as one of those I-don't-like-her-or-her-music-so-I'm-going-to-discredit-everything-about-her-including-her-vocal-talents comments previously mentioned.

That Oscar vocal was recorded with a condenser mic, not a handheld dynamic.  

A. Given that there's no way to get a condenser mic on that stage without it picking up every click of her heels (not to mention, everyone else in proximity of the stage) on a condenser, that mic she is holding is just a prop.

B. It's a vowel heavy song which makes lip syncing easier, but if you watch the hard consonants and mic placement, it's close, but not quite the same as what's being heard.

--

Almost every performance on a TV award show has been pre-recorded for decades now.  These are expensive endeavors, leaving things entirely up to the performance and mood fluctuations of artists is not something that any network or show producer would risk.

You think the producer of the Oscars is going to risk a weak moment in the show, because the artist wants to sing live?  As an artist, you don't even have a choice because its a standard of TV contracts that you can't perform live, and are required to provide the pre-recorded tracks to the production well in advance.  Very few in the last 30 years of television have been able to get around this, Lady Gaga is not one of them.

• Reply 72 of 141
    Quote:

The one thing I will not do is to believe anything you have to say about this subject.

Fair enough, but yet you believe everything you 'see' on the TV? 

Do you think laugh tracks are the actual 'studio' audience for a sitcom taping too?  :no:  I bet you've never noticed the eerie familiarity, and exact laughter cadences that seem to permeate all  situation comedies? 

-or-

Those bastions of integrity in television would never present artificial sounds as authentic.  The International Commission of Televised Musical Integrity would never authenticate the show if Lady Gaga wasn't live on the Oscars, and you'd instantly turn off the boobtube whenever you don't see their seal guaranteeing that everything on TV is real.

• Reply 73 of 141
    Quote:

Fair enough, but yet you believe everything you 'see' on the TV? 

Do you think laugh tracks are the actual 'studio' audience for a sitcom taping too?  :no:  I bet you've never noticed the eerie familiarity, and exact laughter cadences that seem to permeate all  situation comedies? 

-or-

Those bastions of integrity in television would never present artificial sounds as authentic.  The International Commission of Televised Musical Integrity would never authenticate the show if Lady Gaga wasn't live on the Oscars, and you'd instantly turn off the boobtube whenever you don't see their seal guaranteeing that everything on TV is real.

So, therefore, if I don't believe anything you are saying about GaGa THEN the two above statements must pertain to me? Hahahahahaha

You sure think a lot of yourself, don't you. Har!

• Reply 74 of 141
    Quote:

You should take your advice. Foremost, because you can look up countless YouTube videos of Gaga signing that aren't from a produced music video (like when she sang the US National Anthem) and tell she's not lip syncing. Second, your own comment requires that you look with your eyes because there is no other way to tell she is syncing her lips with the audio.

Nope.  You can tell the difference between live performances and those that have been pre-taped most of the time by just listening.

Since I might be more familiar with different microphones, vocal recording techniques, (possibly the totality of Gaga's 'live' touring setup), etc. so I didn't expect you to spot the same nuances, hence the visual clue for you to look for.  I see you didn't bother doing any of your homework.

Plenty of major artists have lip synced the national anthem, fooling millions and escaped the firing squad from the International Committee of Televised Musical Integrity.

• Reply 75 of 141
    Nope.

Yes, your logic is flawed.
    You can tell the difference between live performances and those that have been pre-taped most of the time by just listening.

I can, but you clearly can't if you think that anything that sound good from an artist you don't like is fake.
    Plenty of major artists have lip synced the national anthem, fooling millions and escaped the firing squad from the International Committee of Televised Musical Integrity.

Ah, so the if-one-has-done-it-then-all-do-it argument.
  • Reply 76 of 141
    Quote:

So, therefore, if I don't believe anything you are saying about GaGa THEN the two above statements must pertain to me? Hahahahahaha

You sure think a lot of yourself, don't you. Har!

Was I talking to you thru your TV?

Yes, I'm pretty rad at some stuff, and the audio thing pays for my Macs. Yippee!

• Reply 77 of 141
    Quote:

I can, but you clearly can't if you think that anything that sound good from an artist you don't like is fake.

Actually, GaGa flubbed a few notes near the end but then did a save... but this is how much they have perfected lip sync technology... make everything pitch perfect and then, at some point in the performance, throw in a few off key or off range notes just to keep everyone guessing. ;-)

• Reply 78 of 141
    Actually, GaGa flubbed a few notes near the end but then did a save... but this is how much they have perfected lip sync technology... make everything pitch perfect and then, at some point in the performance, throw in a few off key or off range notes just to keep everyone guessing. ;-)

And don't forget all those small events like on a radio or TV show where she is playing the piano and singing. Or should I say finger syncing and lip syncing, as is the case with these no talent pop stars¡
  • Reply 79 of 141
    My simple thought is that there may be opportunity for Tesla as a contract manufacturer when Apple Transit goes to manufacturing. Would make sense if it is not a direct competitor (different style/demographic) and gives Tesla some great economies of scale and an opportunity to leverage some engineering practices from Apple products to their own. Even simple things like logistics management could benefit Tesla in this relationship.
  • Reply 80 of 141
    Quote:

So no argument about Madonna, but Lady Gaga is some sacred cow? 

I never said anything about her music, merely her performance methodology.

That wasn't even her song on the Oscars, so her music factors zero into her lip syncs.