Apple's iPad loses ground to generic tablets in 2014, report says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I myself think Apple needs to be more aggressive with iPad pricing and the killing of older models. I wish they'd get rid of the non-Retina models and the Air 1 and price the Air 2 and mini 3 $100 cheaper. After all most people aren't going to choose the 16GB model so it'd be mostly a marketing stunt to say look how low the barrier to entry now is to get 'a proper iPad'. And it'd mean educational institutions who buy iPads are now prepared well into the future making it a far better investment for them. All around it'd be a good move and I think iPad marketshare would see a meaningful jump as a result of this strategy.

So:
    16GB iPad mini 3 for $299 and
    16 iPad Air 2 for $399 and
    +$100 for the 64GB models

And it'd really simplify the iPad purchasing experience for the buyer.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Why do we need a "research firm" to find out how many products a company ships?

And what exactly are they doing? Calling each company and asking them how many tablet they shipped? Or are they simply guessing?

The companies must know... so they could easily publish this data themselves. But they don't.

One company, Apple, provides numbers. Hooray.

The other 50-60 companies... a complete mystery. And I don't know why.

You cannot possibly expect each and every company to spontaneously tell, each and every quarter, how many devices they ship, divided by product range. That would be nice, but at present it's just utopian.

Companies are free not to disclose any of their product sales data, hence the need of research firms that do their best in assessing them.

Therefore, calling "crap" these researches without even knowing how they do their estimates is just childish. If "you" (I'm speaking in general) have data to backup your claims, then do, or better, inform the research firms themselves. Otherwise, shut it. It's that simple.

[EDIT] Also: if Appleinsider reports these data, they're reliable enough to me.

• Reply 43 of 60
    lilsmirk wrote: »
    You cannot possibly expect each and every company to spontaneously tell, each and every quarter, how many devices they ship, divided by product range. 
    That would be nice, but at present it's just utopian.

Companies know EXACTLY how many products they ship. They have entire departments that keep track of this data... the shipping department. They'd have to be completely insane to NOT keep up with this information.

And they have PR departments designed to release information to the public.

This isn't unusual... tracking shipment data and creating press releases are common tasks.

Companies are free not to disclose any of their product sales data, hence the need of research firms that do their best in assessing them.

Yes... the companies are free to keep their numbers a secret for whatever reason... and instead let the analysts be their mouthpiece.

For instance... IDC said LG shipped 11.2 million tablets in 2014. So is that correct? Too high? Too low?

If IDC got the number completely wrong... would LG contact them to amend their results?

My point is... LG knows exactly how many tablet they shipped last year... so why let someone else create estimates?

Therefore, calling "crap" these researches without even knowing how they do their estimates is just childish. If "you" (I'm speaking in general) have data to backup your claims, then do, or better, inform the research firms themselves. Otherwise, shut it. It's that simple.

I never said anything about "crap" in my earlier comment. I think you are referring to user Woochifer in post #26

I was just wondering why outside firms are in charge of releasing numbers for all these companies instead of the companies themselves releasing the data.

Of course.

If the only way we find out how many tablets are shipped is from these analysts' reports... I guess we'll have to take it.

(Again... I'm not doubting their numbers... I was just wondering why we needed analysts to release estimates when the companies are perfectly capable of releasing the real numbers themselves...)
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Companies know EXACTLY how many products they ship. They have entire departments that keep track of this data... the shipping department. They'd have to be completely insane to NOT keep up with this information.

And they have PR departments designed to release information to the public.

This isn't unusual... tracking shipment data and creating press releases are common tasks.

I'm not saying they can't track their own data, I'm saying they won't release them to the public.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yes... the companies are free to keep their numbers a secret for whatever reason... and instead let the analysts be their mouthpiece.

For instance... IDC said LG shipped 11.2 million tablets in 2014. So is that correct? Too high? Too low?

If IDC got the number completely wrong... would LG contact them to amend their results?

My point is... LG knows exactly how many tablet they shipped last year... so why let someone else create estimates?

Because if companies want to disclose their data, they will do so. Otherwise, publicly confirming or correcting analysts' data goes agains their secrecy policy.

Quote:

I never said anything about "crap" in my earlier comment. I think you are referring to user Woochifer in post #26

Yes, I was referring to him... and everyone that in turn calls "crap" these data. This is why I expressly specified I was speaking in general. That apparently wasn't obvious enough. I wasn't referring to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

(Again... I'm not doubting their numbers... I was just wondering why we needed analysts to release estimates when the companies are perfectly capable of releasing the real numbers themselves...)

Because companies themselves won't do it. It's the lesser evil, as we might say.

• Reply 45 of 60
    So, lets make this clear ONE company is finally selling less than all the other companies COMBINED after FIVE years on the market. No problems.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    I'm not saying they can't track their own data, I'm saying they won't release them to the public.

Because if companies want to disclose their data, they will do so. Otherwise, publicly confirming or correcting analysts' data goes agains their secrecy policy.

What's the big secret?

I mean... it's totally fine for them to not reveal their numbers... but it just seems weird to let someone else tell their story.

I assume the analysts are at least somewhat accurate.

Yes, I was referring to him... and everyone that in turn calls "crap" these data. This is why I expressly specified I was speaking in general. That apparently wasn't obvious enough. I wasn't referring to you.

Uh yeah... I know you were talking about him. Remember... I linked to his comment. ;)

I was just wondering why 3rd parties are responsible for releasing this data. I wasn't challenging its accuracy.

There's apparently no way for us to verify it anyway.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Tim Cook is too afraid to sack anyone.

Stop drinking and posting.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Has anyone seen any of these 70M devices in the wild. Other than a Best Buy sales display, I never see any of these devices actually being used by anyone.
  • Reply 49 of 60

Well, I can see how this is possible. One of the major carriers (V3riz0n) have been offering their generic tablet for free, and with only and $10 monthly increase on their service bill, most will flock to it. A free tablet, with LTE connection where available, only $10 monthly increase per device. This will put sales through the roof.

• Reply 50 of 60
    jkichline wrote: »
    Ah, so the no name tablets that no one uses and people get for free to run free apps and never buy anything for or on and do nothing useful with... is "beating" Apple.  Yeah. Who cares.

I'll tell you what the real story should be... is what happens when people realize that they don't want this crap taking up room in their house and trash it? There are tons of electronic equipment and crap that people buy for nothing that consumes natural resources and has no real value on earth. We need to stop it and make and purchase products with real value and real longevity.

Good point and company should be held responsible for any product which is disposed of within 3 to 5 yrs. and should be fine for wasting natural resources. The problem is most of this stuff just ends up sitting in a drawer in someone home for a very long time.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Ah, so the no name tablets that no one uses and people get for free to run free apps and never buy anything for or on and do nothing useful with... is "beating" Apple.  Yeah. Who cares.

I'll tell you what the real story should be... is what happens when people realize that they don't want this crap taking up room in their house and trash it? There are tons of electronic equipment and crap that people buy for nothing that consumes natural resources and has no real value on earth. We need to stop it and make and purchase products with real value and real longevity.

Thanks to my iPad and iPhone i no longer have to be tied to a desktop or laptop to remain connected to the web or even to be productive for many common tasks. Both devices are hands-down the best things I've ever owned (besides Apple stock, natch)...
  • Reply 52 of 60

Thanks to my iPad and iPhone i no longer have to be tied to a desktop or laptop to remain connected to the web or even to be productive for many common tasks. Both devices are hands-down the best things I've ever owned (besides Apple stock, natch)...

My experience, too.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Has anyone seen any of these 70M devices in the wild. Other than a Best Buy sales display, I never see any of these devices actually being used by anyone.

I see maybe 1 Android tablet for every 20 iPads I see. Hey, who cares, right? The only important thing is that they sold, and they're sitting collecting dust somewhere, which somehow proves that iPad sucks and is failing (according to BF). I bet most people even forget they own these tablets and buy another whenever they get these 2 for 1 deals. 

• Reply 54 of 60
    Shipped != Sold.
    Also not androids are play-store enabled.
    Finally, profit share >> market share.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    r00fus wrote: »
    Shipped != Sold.
    Also not androids are play-store enabled.
    Finally, profit share >> market share.

True, but as it's been noted many times, Apple also only listed shipped items. There is a difference because we know Apple's current success means they can't keep up with demand so we can infer Apple's shipped are essentially sold with very little variance, but it's still listed as shipped in the small print.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "A new report from Strategy Analytics published on Wednesday suggests so-called "Brand X" tablets collectively outperformed Apple's iPad and offerings from Samsung in 2014, marking the first time generic device makers beat out the two established brands on a year-end basis."

Ummmm Samsung tablets are also generic devices. Just because they have more money than most knockoff brands doesn't make them any different.

And I also agree that Apple's iPhone 6 commercials sucked.
    Funny story:
    My close friend loves Apple commercials and thinks cheesy carrier commercials dilute Apple's products. We were watching TV and he kept reminding me how he hates cheesy carrier commercials for iPhone. Suddenly the new IPhone 6 commercial with jimmy Fallon came on and as he heard the annoying humming from him and JT he said "See you can tell this is a carrier commercial. Apple commercials don't suck".
  • Reply 57 of 60
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    You cannot possibly expect each and every company to spontaneously tell, each and every quarter, how many devices they ship, divided by product range. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">That would be nice, but at present it's just utopian.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Companies are free not to disclose any of their product sales data, hence the need of research firms that do their best in assessing them.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Therefore, calling "crap" these researches without even knowing how they do their estimates is just childish. If "you" (I'm speaking in general) have data to backup your claims, then do, or better, inform the research firms themselves. Otherwise, shut it. It's that simple.</span>

It doesn't make it correct though now does it? Time and time again these figures have been proved to be incorrect and their true purpose is to manipulate stock price, either to drive up a competitors or drive down Apples. maybe you should stop believing everything you read on the Internet.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

It doesn't make it correct though now does it? Time and time again these figures have been proved to be incorrect and their true purpose is to manipulate stock price, either to drive up a competitors or drive down Apples. maybe you should stop believing everything you read on the Internet.

Ok, so should I stop reading Appleinsider? What is right and what is wrong? How do I know that? Who should I trust? What if I decide to trust Strategy Analytics' figures? Can you prove me wrong? How?

I'm not believing everything I read on the Internet. I have a brain and I enjoy using it, but at the same time I refuse to believe only what suits me best.

• Reply 59 of 60
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LilSmirk View Post

Every time a research's published, I hear this frase.

Every. Single. Time.

IDC? Crap. ABI Research? Megacrap. Strategy Analytics? Total garbage.

Is there a reliable, independent, unbiased analytics company whose data we can consider correct?

Seriously, this is getting tiresome.

That's because these research firms have a history of getting the market dynamics wrong. IDC even admitted that the "other"category is their garbage bin where they assign the extraneous data that they can't explain. In other words, they do not actually track any of these white label devices. And Strategy Analytics has a particularly spotty history of making up crap numbers.

http://fortune.com/2013/08/02/smashing-apple-is-strategy-analytics-in-samsungs-pocket/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/31/strategy-analytics-finds-millions-of-android-tablets-rewrites-ipad-history