Just 6.8M smartwatches sold in 2014 at an average price of $189

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    togan wrote: »
    I'll most likely buy one and change style with a cheap eBay strap. Like my iPhone's I'll update it when there is a new feature I want.
    That's all.

It's likely that you won't be able to do that. The attachment mechanism is Apple's, and is likely patented. And band manufacturer that want to make bands would have to do so through Apple, and so far, Apple hasn't said anything about third party bands.

If Apple does decide to license out that attachment design, they would require a quality level from the manufacturer, and so the band wouldn't be cheap. But there's no evidence so far that Apple is thinking on allowing this.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Speaking of that, the white and black plastic bands for ?Watch look the same as for ?Watch Sport, meaning aluminium, but the white plastic band for ?Watch Edition clearly is at least gold in colour.

1) Do you thunk the white band for the ?Watch Edition is using 18t gold for all the metal components, including the area of the band that will attach to the casing, which I am assuming is metal and not a hard plastic.

2) Do you think the standard white and black plastic bands are the exact same between ?Watch Sport and ?Watch, which would likely mean aluminium?

Apple states that inside the end of the band, where it slides into the watch, there is metal. Likely that's SS on all bands. I do believe the bands are exactly the same for the Watch, and Sport I think that the nub that holds the band closed is SS on both models. It's a small part. For the Edition, yes, Apple says it's 18k gold.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    melgross wrote: »
    Apple states that inside the end of the band, where it slides into the watch, there is metal. Likely that's SS on all bands. I do believe the bands are exactly the same for the Watch, and Sport I think that the nub that holds the band closed is SS on both models. It's a small part. For the Edition, yes, Apple says it's 18k gold.

It's probably a spring loaded dowel like are used to connect bands to other watches.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    I didn't say that Nokia described them that way. But the tech forums were always having arguments about it. They weren't smartphones, they were featurephones. But some of the better models had smartphone like functionality.

They were never smartphones, those tech forums were wrong.
    ASAP? Do you mean AOSP? I don't have model numbers. But you can read about the many models in China, India and some other places that have the minimum of functionality, and have no access to an App Store, or other services that we consider part of the smartphone experience today.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you about it. It is what it is.

Sorry I was on my tablet, yes I meant AOSP. If they don't have access to the Google App Store, all that means is they aren't counted as a Google Android device. If they meet all the other criteria, then they could be counted as a smartphone. Two points to this, if you don't want to argue it, don't bring it up in the first place, also, if you are going to claim something, have the info to back it up.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's probably a spring loaded dowel like are used to connect bands to other watches.

No, it's entirely different. First of all it's enclosed at the ends. It's in the middle that the latch clicks it in. Just look at the pics that were posted.

Guys, please, go to Apple's site, and check this out before coming here and speculating on something that's already known. The pictures alone will show a lot of this.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    jfanning wrote: »
    They were never smartphones, those tech forums were wrong.
    Sorry I was on my tablet, yes I meant AOSP. If they don't have access to the Google App Store, all that means is they aren't counted as a Google Android device. If they meet all the other criteria, then they could be counted as a smartphone. Two points to this, if you don't want to argue it, don't bring it up in the first place, also, if you are going to claim something, have the info to back it up.

It doesn't matter whether the tech forums were wrong or not, it was a symptom of the times. There were arguments about a lot of phones back then as to whether they were smart or not.

And the point I was making to you, and this is the last post to you here that I'll do, is that a lot of these phones have no way to connect to any App Store. I didn't say Google Play specifically, did I? No, I didn't.

Let's make one thing clear here, you, as always are the one arguing. I made a statement, and you barged in. You must have a Nokia locator built into your skull.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    No, it's entirely different. First of all it's enclosed at the ends. It's in the middle that the latch clicks it in.

Guys, please, go to Apple's site, and check this out before coming here and speculating on something that's already known. The pictures alone will show a lot of this.

1) It's really quite elegant how they designed that aspect of the watch. I have no idea if this has been used on a watch before but it's certainly more attractive from both an aesthetic and engineering standpoint than the spring-loaded dowel to which I'm familiar.

2) Now, I fully expect the inductive, magnetic charging system to stay the same for many, many years, but if we assume they will change the casing every year will they also change the bands as well as how they connect to the casing each year?
  • Reply 48 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    No, it's entirely different. First of all it's enclosed at the ends. It's in the middle that the latch clicks it in.

Apologies, I misread your post. I assumed that you didn't know, and I quite frankly don't care how Apple designed it to go search for it. I took an educated guess using the tried and true method watch makers have been using for decades.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    ...I quite frankly don't care how Apple designed it to go search for it.

If you aren't aware of how the bands connect to the casing I'm sure there are others that hadn't noticed the elegance and sophistication that went into its innovation, so here it is...

400 400
  • Reply 50 of 52
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    It doesn't matter whether the tech forums were wrong or not, it was a symptom of the times. There were arguments about a lot of phones back then as to whether they were smart or not.

Symptom of the times? DO you mean people being wrong, I'm afraid that isn't down to any particular time. I think the tech forums you were referring to was this this site, and the users who tried to claim Nokia was including the S40 phones in their smartphone figures to increase them, when Nokia constantly said they weren't?
    And the point I was making to you, and this is the last post to you here that I'll do, is that a lot of these phones have no way to connect to any App Store. I didn't say Google Play specifically, did I? No, I didn't.

Last post about it, got you, you can claim anything, post anything, never be able to back it up and you'll run away with your fingers in your ears crying "I can't hear you, I can't hear you". I thought you claimed you were an adult, make a claim, back it up, it is that simple.

So, you need to support App Stores to make the phone a smartphone? Just to clarify, App Stores that support native Apps, or J2ME apps (like all those S40 phones we know aren't smartphones but had access to crappy app stores?) Also, let's step back a few months, I claimed the original iPhone wasn't a smartphone and wasn't until iOS 2 came out supporting user installable apps (and wow, the App Store), everyone rubbished me. So, who was wrong, me for making the claim, or you for just stating I was right?
    Let's make one thing clear here, you, as always are the one arguing. I made a statement, and you barged in. You must have a Nokia locator built into your skull.

No, I can read, and I was reading this thread, are there rules around what threads people can read and respond to? Sorry, I must have missed that part of the site rules, can you send me a link?
  • Reply 51 of 52
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) It's really quite elegant how they designed that aspect of the watch. I have no idea if this has been used on a watch before but it's certainly more attractive from both an aesthetic and engineering standpoint than the spring-loaded dowel to which I'm familiar.

2) Now, I fully expect the inductive, magnetic charging system to stay the same for many, many years, but if we assume they will change the casing every year will they also change the bands as well as how they connect to the casing each year?

I'm Hoping that the thought behind the latch was enough to ensure that a better solution could t be found. That's not saying that an equally good solution could t have been
    Apologies, I misread your post. I assumed that you didn't know, and I quite frankly don't care how Apple designed it to go search for it. I took an educated guess using the tried and true method watch makers have been using for decades.

I've never liked the spring pin attachment. On my gold watch cases over the years, the pins wear the case out in the holes. Over time, these holes become much bigger than they started out as. A problem is that the pins tug at the case, and they often revolve somewhat. The edge of the band, if it's metal, also wears the case, if it's soft, as there is no way to control the side to side movement of the band.

What Apple has done is to ensure that the attachment mechanism doesn't move, and that the band has no side to side play, with no case lugs to wear.