Firehouse Subs rolls out support for Apple Pay to over 800 locations nationwide

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
Apple has added another food-and-beverage arrow to its Apple Pay quiver, as hot sandwich chain Firehouse Subs on Thursday announced that each of its more than 860 locations across the U.S. would begin accepting contactless payments through Apple Pay.

"Innovation and exceptional customer service are two core values at Firehouse Subs and as the No. 1 fast casual brand, we are excited to bring Apple Pay to our restaurants," says Don Fox, CEO, Firehouse of America, LLC. "By moving in this direction, Firehouse Subs is able to provide our guests an easy, secure and private way to make mobile payments."

Firehouse joins fellow nationwide food chains Panera Bread, Subway, and McDonald's in rolling out Apple Pay support. A number of supermarkets accept Apple Pay as well, including FoodMaxx, Harvey's, Meijer, Save Mart, Shaw's, Sprouts, and Whole Foods, with support from Albertsons coming soon.

Jacksonville, Fl.-based Firehouse is a rapidly growing fast casual chain with a footprint stretching across 43 states. The company plans to open more than 2,000 restaurants by 2020, making them an ideal partner for Apple's nascent mobile payments system.

Customers can currently pay in-store with Apple's iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus. The Apple Watch -- details of which are expected to be revealed at a March 9 media event -- will also support brick-and-mortar payments upon its release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Well the chain is not around my area yet. Hell I've never heard of them. But they seem to be a fast growing business. It's another plus for Apple Pay. This is what I want to see, Apple Pay expanding. If it starts going the other way, that would be bad. I think Apple is really trying to move forward with it. It can be another huge Money maker for Apple if it really takes off. Where as on Google Wallet, if rumors are true, Google loses money on each transaction. Maybe that's why they never promote it.

The picture of that sub is making me really hungry for one. It's getting close to lunch time for me. Another hour or two depending on when I want to go.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Decent subs... not so sure how I feel about the fake dogskin tabletops...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Great! Now I want a sub! Thanks AI, you just had to go and post this article, didn't you? :P
  • Reply 4 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Well the chain is not around my area yet. Hell I've never heard of them. But they seem to be a fast growing business. It's another plus for Apple Pay. This is what I want to see, Apple Pay expanding. If it starts going the other way, that would be bad. I think Apple is really trying to move forward with it. 

How would it go "the other way"? I don't see retailers DROPPING Apple Pay anytime soon. Apple Pay is expanding every day, the only question is speed. And yes, I would hope Apple is "trying to move forward with it". 

• Reply 5 of 15

I've seen commericals for this recently, but not sure where they are located or if there any local. I wish subway would change there terminal. I still give them my card instead of asking for the terminal or reaching over the counter to pay with my phone. I want the terminal to be by the consumer not retailer.

• Reply 6 of 15

And the pressure builds for me to give up my beloved 4S...

Their meatball sub (on white, mind you) puts every other one I've tried to shame.  Generally, their other offerings better their franchise-and-chain competition, though not as dramatically.

• Reply 7 of 15
    I've been using ApplePay at Firehouse subs for a while now. So the takeaway is that ApplePay may work at lots of places that haven't necessarily made any announcement.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    slurpy wrote: »
    How would it go "the other way"? I don't see retailers DROPPING Apple Pay anytime soon. Apple Pay is expanding every day, the only question is speed. And yes, I would hope Apple is "trying to move forward with it". 

Actually, yes. It would seem an unreasonable expectation but we've already seen some CurrentC members having disabled NFC simply so ?Pay can't be used.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    This is what ApplePay needs most, MORE (national, chain) merchant acceptance. We have enough banks - we need more retailers!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    This is what ApplePay needs most, MORE (national, chain) merchant acceptance. We have enough banks - we need more retailers!

It does, but that was always going to come last, at least in the US.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    solipsismy wrote: »

Actually, yes. It would seem an unreasonable expectation but we've already seen some CurrentC members having disabled NFC simply so ?Pay can't be used.

That is truly pathetic. Depriving someone else of something is a dispiclable thing to do.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    nagromme wrote: »
    i agree. They could've selected from a 101 different ones.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    philboogie wrote: »
    solipsismy wrote: »

That is truly pathetic. Depriving someone else of something is a dispiclable thing to do.

Indeed.

Depriving Hitler of the right to murder millions of Jews was a truly pathetic and despicable thing to do. /s

Got it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    nagromme wrote: »

"Try our Dalmation meat special. You'll howl for more!"