Vogue Paris calls the Apple Watch 'a small revolution' in new two-page spread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
Apple's marketing blitzkrieg for the upcoming Apple Watch has made it to the pages of Vogue Paris, with the latest edition of fashion's holy scripture blessing the new device with a two-page spread that calls the Watch "a small revolution" ready to impress.

Boding readers "welcome to the future," the spread discusses the Watch's importance at post-Steve Jobs Apple and its overt positioning as a fashion accessory. The story -- first noticed by French blog PomPomComedy -- is bookended by photos of fashion models donning the gold Apple Watch Edition.

Apple has begun to ramp up advertising for the Watch in advance of its expected April release, specifically targeting fashion-conscious buyers.

The March edition of American Vogue hit newsstands with a 12-page advertisement for the new gadget. That spread included close-up views of the hardware and swappable bands, and was joined by a special digital version of the ad in Vogue's iPad edition that gave readers a 360-degree view.

Victoria's Secret Angel Candice Swanpoel can be found wearing the Apple Watch Sport on the latest cover of women's lifestyle magazine Self, and Apple is also thought to be planning a major retail push in high-end department stores. That initiative apparently includes a space in Paris's upscale Galeries Lafayette.

Earlier this week, Apple announced a "Spring Forward" event on March 9 at which the company is expected to reveal the Watch's final release data and nail down specifics related to its battery life, water resistance, and pricing. AppleInsider will bring live coverage of that event as it unfolds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 165
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I told you so. The Home Screen design is pure genius.
  • Reply 2 of 165

Agreed, feels iconic already! I think people will stroke it just to see the animation!

• Reply 3 of 165

I think the success of this device will surprise everyone (but a few of us here).

A generation from now, the first edition will become a collectors' item. Wear it well.

• Reply 4 of 165
    Can't wait to see the real thing and see how it looks on my wrist.
  • Reply 5 of 165
    I think the success of this device will surprise everyone (but a few of us here).

A generation from now, the first edition will become a collectors' item. Wear it well.

I've pretty well decided I'll do what I have to to get one. It'll be the $349 model, but even then I will keep it forever.
  • Reply 6 of 165
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I really dig the high waisted pants on the model too. If this is any indication of the sucess of the ?Watch, we have those pants to look forward to as well. Love basing a companies' economic future on the whims of fashion. ?Watch, Siri, high-waisted pants ... We're one step closer to the film HER becoming our reality.
  • Reply 7 of 165
    I find it amusing that people stopped wearing watches because they had a phone in their pocket and that the company that sold us millions of smart phones is now going to replace that watch that we stopped wearing because of the phone that they sold us. It's shiny, I want it.
  • Reply 8 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I seriously thinking of buying a Gold Edition watch and not opening it.

Could be worth a ton a few decades

I might do that too, perhaps not the super-duper expensive one. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I've pretty well decided I'll do what I have to to get one. It'll be the $349 model, but even then I will keep it forever.

I think I'll also buy a couple of paper copies of Vogue (with the 12-page ad spread), as a 'bonus,' to go with the keepsake!

• Reply 9 of 165
    I, for one, have never seen how an online watch could be all that useful, but I guess that's just me. But regardless of that, is this really such a "revolution" over those that are already out? Or is that a paid comment. It wasn't the first, we all know.
  • Reply 10 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I really dig the high waisted pants on the model too. If this is any indication of the sucess of the ?Watch, we have those pants to look forward to as well. Love basing a companies' economic future on the whims of fashion. ?Watch, Siri, high-waisted pants ... We're one step closer to the film HER becoming our reality.

I have no idea who you are vis-a-vis the fashion or watch world, and this is not meant to be a diss: somehow, I think I'll go with the judgment of the Paris-edition of Vogue than yours on this matter.

• Reply 11 of 165
    [quote name="anantksundaram" url="/t/184977/vogue-paris-calls-the-apple-watch-a-small-revolution-in-new-two-page-spread#post_2682532"]
    A generation from now, the first edition will become a collectors' item.
    [/QUOTE]
    First edition iPhones are already high-priced collectors items. that's what happens with limited supplies of first edition products. Even the TAM and Steve Job's beloved Cube fetch top dollar on the collectors market. Both of which were commercial failures. And it hasn't been anything like a generation for those produc.
  • Reply 12 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I find it amusing that people stopped wearing watches because they had a phone in their pocket and that the company that sold us millions of smart phones is now going to replace that watch that we stopped wearing because of the phone that they sold us. It's shiny, I want it.

Well there are those who will buy anything Apple releases without thinking twice. 

• Reply 13 of 165
    kent909 wrote: »
    It's actually brilliant marketing. Imagine if it came out that Apple actually wanted to get into the watch market and decided to create a watch replacement in the iPhone, then offer their own watch after the customers they convinced didn't need a watch just to tell time stop wearing traditional ones.

The truth is Apple is not nearly so prescient. Their stumble with Apps demonstrates they often don't have a grasp on how their technology can be used. More likely their executives realized after a few years use that it was a pain to pull their phones out of their pockets everytime it vibrated, and many of the fitness enthusiasts at Apple started wearing fitness trackers, then some engineer said, hey why not combine them, and then the Apple marketing team got behind it and now Vogue is praising it's merits, even if Apple is paying millions to place those ads.
  • Reply 14 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I think the Gold Watch will be even more valuable. Starting with the expensive price tag.  I don't think they will sell even 500,000 of the Gold 1st generation.

Watches tend to work for very long time. Electronics tend to fail in a few years.

I wish Apple will have some "core replacement" programs that can swap out old electronics with new ones, and preserve the watch perfectly. I think they can engineer such a solution from day one, and I look forward to seeing or hearing it reported by someone ... :p 

• Reply 15 of 165
    Quote:

The truth is Apple is not nearly so prescient. Their stumble with Apps demonstrates .....

Ummm.... explain?

• Reply 16 of 165
    I think I'll go with the judgment of the Paris-edition of Vogue than yours on this matter.
    I make no pretentious about my expertise in the fashion world. I know what I like and what I dont. I also know Vogue promotes the cutting edge of style and fashion which often change radically from season to season. Their well paid advertisement praising the watch today, may not survive even into the Fall. Apples usual trend of creating a product that remains unchanged in the marketplace for two or three years without changing its design cues is not going to fly in the fashion world. Add to that that Vogue reports on the trends on the bleeding edge of fashion, often endorse designs you would most likely find not to your liking. The fact you happen to agree with Paris Vogue on their current assessment of the ?Watch is no gurantee of anything in the fashion world.

I don't think the ?Watch is particularly attractive or stylish. However, I think it looks pretty good for what it purports to do. If Paris Vogue thinks that's the cutting edge of fashion, then that supports my opinion of their model wearing "mom" jeans. If that's the height of fashion at the moment -- I think I'll pass.
  • Reply 17 of 165
    Ummm.... explain?
    You tell me. Did the original iPhone run Apps, and why?
  • Reply 18 of 165
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

People stopped wearing watches because the function was duplicated with their phones while the phones did a lot  more in addition, similarly the Apple device will extend functionality and not be a return to just having the time displayed on your wrist.

There may be some of that where people already wearing a simple timepiece replace it with an Apple device, but the issue is all the others who'll use it for the other functions, with the time display as a modest extra.

• Reply 19 of 165
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Whim like Channel, Vuiton, Gucci, iconic designs.. Yeah, those things don't last... Design and fashion are intimately linked, they're not separate things.

BTW, why do you think Apple changes the design of their phones every two years? Why not keep the same. They'd work just as well. Apple keeps a few design cues, home button, balanced upper and lower phone and changes all the rest.

Ephemeral design have been part of Apple almost since its start; it is one of its distinguishing characteristics. Having the design on you just makes this more explicit.

• Reply 20 of 165
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    GORGEOUS. 

those who say the Watch is ugly have no taste

Taste is subjective.