Tim Cook says Apple Watch will replace electronic car keys, confirms Apple Store revamp

Comments

• Reply 41 of 201

I am wondering if it has an addtional NFC security chip in it that is programable(Like an employee badge).   Most push button start systems have both the physical key to get into the car, but also a chip that works if you put it in close proximity to ignition button.   This way you can still start your car even if the battery is dead.   Just spitballing, it might not because that wouldn't help you get into the car, but could at least get it started if you were in it.   I think this would be more interesting to add to the iphone though, especially with the addition of fingerprint security if you ever had your phone stolen.

• Reply 42 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

your backup would be your phone. 

if both your phone and watch are dead than you are an idiot

Valid point. 

• Reply 43 of 201
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

or you can get a life

Quote:

if both your phone and watch are dead than you are an idiot

Poor soggy. The stock market is down so he is in a bad mood.

• Reply 44 of 201
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Wow.  In only maybe an hour or less, many posters have brought up potentially critical challenges to this concept.  Apple is pretty f*cking stupid to not have seen them, and now the Apple Watch is sure to fail.  Back to the drawing board.  Thank god that Apple has this forum to read so they can learn that if the watch battery is out-of-juice, people wouldn't be able to open their cars and be stuck in unsafe places.

• Reply 45 of 201
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Maybe car manufacturers can all agree on some communication standard? But then, car companies make significant revenue from selling fobs and rekeying consumer systems.

LOL, yeah I can see all the car companies agreeing on something like this. That's why they're all happily implementing CarPlay. /s

But you hit the nail on the head. The cost to replace and reprogram my 1998 Mercedes key fob is around $500. Why would Mercedes just give that profit center away to Apple for free?

• Reply 46 of 201
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

and gives no warning its about to die

Wrong, sog.

I have two cars with keyless entry:  a 2008 Infiniti, and a 2012 Toyota Sienna.  Both of these vehicle detect when the signal strength of their fobs are getting low, and they display a "low battery" warning on their instrumentation.  This occurs well before you actually need to replace the battery.  I went an extra month in the Infiniti without the battery dying before I got around to replacing it.

• Reply 47 of 201
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, typically, a physical key that slides out.

Which you wouldn't have with you if you decide to leave your fob behind and rely specifically on your Apple Watch.  Would you intend on carrying that little physical key (that you would hopefully rarely need) with you in a pocket or briefcase, remembering to recover it when you change pants/coats or not bring your briefcase?  Good luck having it on your person when you need it.

I don't particularly think that this feature is a big seller.  I'd be unlikely to leave my car's key fob behind.

Thompson

• Reply 48 of 201
    mstone wrote: »
    I wonder how it works with multiple cars?

I chuckled at the "three-pat technique". That is me.

wallet - check
    cell phone - check
    car key - check

I thought it was just my OCD. :lol:
  • Reply 49 of 201
    Because everyone wants a $500+ car key.
  • Reply 50 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post.  

I just don't have patience for people without common sense.

Well common sense should tell us that 99% of people on the planet will not use this feature because it will probably only work on an Apple Car.

• Reply 51 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsdesk View Post

Great, so when your watch battery dies (which it will daily) then you can't start your car!

No problem here

If they are using inductive coil for the unlocking communication, your car could power your watch enough to unlock the car even when your watch is dead.

• Reply 52 of 201

The more I think about these Apple store changes for Apple Watch, the more I think you will not be able to buy Apple Watch Edition at a normal Apple retail store. I could see the flagship stores selling them, but not a normal (and small) mall store. The story about that upscale department store making space is much more what the clientele is going to expect for a retail experience for such an expensive purchase. A normal Apple store won't want the security required for having $20K watches in the stock room. They will probably focus on sport and and the regular watch and leave edition to special locations. That is my guess based on the news that is slowly seeping out.

• Reply 53 of 201
    Quote:

and gives no warning its about to die

My three year old Prius just started warning me that the battery in the keyfob is getting low.

I can already open my garage door, unlock my front door, control the lights, heating and AC in my house from my iPhone; being able to use it as a keyfob would be fantastic. The Tesla already does that.

• Reply 54 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Which you wouldn't have with you if you decide to leave your fob behind and rely specifically on your Apple Watch.  

Yes. Apple is also positioning the ?Watch as something you can just run out and use without the need to take your iPhone with you. So what happens if you grab your driver's license, pop out to the car with just your ?Watch to drive to the market and pick up some milk on a Sunday morning, only to realize you forgot to chard the watch the night before. There you are, unable to pay for the milk, or unlock your car. No backups in sight. 

• Reply 55 of 201
    Quote:

If your watch battery dies your back up is your phone.

How hard is that to understand?  I mean seriously.

If your phone is also dead then you are an idiot and you probably lock your keys in your car anyway.

And the idiots can choose to use a physical key if they want.  Its just a great option for people with some common sense and don't want to carry heavy keys

Even my Wife's Civic won't let her leave the keys in the car.

• Reply 56 of 201
    Quote:

why would Cook mention this if the AppleCar aint' coming for at least 5 years?

Beats me. There are a lot of unanswered questions.  I have a difficult time believing that the car systems would permit being essentially reprogrammed. Who is going to do the reprogramming?  The key fob is a very secure system that randomizes the radio frequencies used. How is the watch going to be compatible with every car that has one? Plus, I can't see any car manufacturers being open to allowing this. Why would they? Call me skeptical. The only way I can see it working is if Apple controls the entire system end to end.

• Reply 57 of 201

Strange that my 2004 SAAB does give warnings when the key fob battery is about a week away from dying.

• Reply 58 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well common sense should tell us that 99% of people on the planet will not use this feature because it will probably only work on an Apple Car.

LOL. This is WHY people will BUY an ?Car, making Apple the only car company in the world to make 40%+ profit margins on their cars.

"Hey, Honey, since we already have an ?Watch, why don't we go ahead and buy an ?Car"?

/s

• Reply 59 of 201
    I predict a rise in vehicle thefts by street magicians
  • Reply 60 of 201
    Strange that my 2004 SAAB does give warnings when the key fob battery is about a week away from dying.

You should probably get that looked at, because according to sog, it's not supposed to give you a warning.