Tim Cook says Apple Watch will replace electronic car keys, confirms Apple Store revamp

Comments

• Reply 61 of 201
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Thanks for not putting FOB. I always see people doing that and I'm like...what is FOB supposed to stand for?

"Fries Our Balls"?
  • Reply 62 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Because everyone wants a $500+ car key.

We already have expensive car keys. And guess what? They don't do a damn thing else.

Minimum fob replacement is $200 from what I've seen.

• Reply 63 of 201
    mrboba1 wrote: »

We already have expensive car keys. And guess what? They don't do a damn thing else.

And I always get an extra (3rd) one with my new car purchase, just in case. Being able to save at least $200 by using ?Watch would not only reduce its cost but also make it a convenient device worth having. If that feature is announced for the launch of the 1st gen ?Watch I think Fitbit will lose a sale from me.
  • Reply 64 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I've concluded we have 6 groups of Watch haters:

1. Cheapskates.  Peeps that don't want or can't afford to pay $350.  They will bash the product knowing they can never buy it no matter how good it is.

2. Jobs Worshipers.  Those who just want to see the Watch fail to 'prove' Jobs is a god.

3. Trolls.  You know who you are.

4. Perfectionist.  Expect a product to be PERFECT in its first generation even though that has never happened in the history of electronics.

5.  Fossils.  People who don't adapt to change 

6. Crystal Ballers.  People who think they know EXACTLY what the Watch will and will not do without having 1 second using it.

I've concluded we have 3 groups of Watch lovers:

1. Those that will buy any Apple product.

2. Those people who love new well made things, especially when they find that the item enhances their lives.

3. Assholes who think that having new expensive shit will somehow make them more important.

• Reply 65 of 201

Fall Out Boy ;)

• Reply 66 of 201
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

and gives no warning its about to die

Which would be an absolute tragedy because it would mean I would have to actually put the key in the door lock for the first time in 10 years.

• Reply 67 of 201

The warning is shown on the display inside the car and when the key with the low battery is in the ignition. So there is no security risk here.

I was just saying that this sort of tech is not new.

• Reply 68 of 201
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I've concluded we have 3 groups of Watch lovers:

1. Those that will buy any Apple product.

2. Those people who love new well made things, especially when they find that the item enhances their lives.

3. Assholes who think that having new expensive shit will somehow make them more important.

I've decided that there are 3 groups of people who are ambivalent about the Watch

1) Those who don't need or care about wristwatches

2) Those who already have and wear an expensive wristwatch

3) Those who aren't particularly impressed by the design but happy if Apple has success with it

• Reply 69 of 201
    What about the IPhone? If the watch will be able to do it why not the iPhone? It's a commercial stunt to create a buzz around the watch where the actual IPhone as the same capabilities. Lol, -1 for that kind of commercial strategy!
  • Reply 70 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I've decided that there are 3 groups of people who are ambivalent about the Watch

1) Those who don't need or care about wristwatches

2) Those who already have and wear an expensive wristwatch

3) Those who aren't particularly impressed by the design but happy if Apple has success with it

Count me as 1 and 3. I might be persuaded to get a Watch if it's useful enough in day to day life aside from just being a notifications center. However I haven't worn a watch in years so it'd need to be REALLY useful to overcome the fact that I just don't think the design is anything special. It's not bad for sure, it looks better than most of the Android watches, it's just not great. It kind of just exists.

• Reply 71 of 201

• Reply 72 of 201

Audi and LG were already playing around with this at CES, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2474859,00.asp , but obviously there would be a lot of push back, on the other points I haven't walked into our local Apple store recently, I probably will walk by this week and see if I see any different arrangement and next week to see if something changes after the announcement.

• Reply 73 of 201
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

And what makes you think that the car manufacturers are going to give up this lucrative aftermarket option and give it it away to Apple for free? And how would that work? Each manufacturer gives their proprietary security codes and programming to Apple to offer for download from iTunes, by putting in your VIN? As it stands the dealers won't sell you a new key fob without you going into the dealer and proving you own the vehicle. How will that be handled by Apple?  Or will Apple sell an ?Watch programmer to the dealers who will still charge you $200 to re-program your ?Watch -- a third party device for which they will be liable if anything happens to it while they're reprogramming it?

• Reply 74 of 201
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

And what makes you think that the car manufacturers are going to give up this lucrative aftermarket option and give it it away to Apple for free? And how would that work? Each manufacturer gives their proprietary security codes and programming to Apple to offer for download from iTunes, by putting in your VIN? As it stands the dealers won't sell you a new key fob without you going into the dealer and proving you own the vehicle. How will that be handled by Apple?  Or will Apple sell an ?Watch programmer to the dealers who will still charge you $200 to re-program your ?Watch -- a third party device for which they will be liable if anything happens to it while they're reprogramming it?

All very good points.  It isn't trivial to solve for sure.  Since we don't know anything about Apple's proposed solution, it is hard to say if they will or won't be able to get enough manufacturers onboard, to have a simplified process.  Typically Apple do not announce an initiative like this (see: Apple Pay, Apps) unless they have some solid partnerships to reference.

What I just find funny is the sheer number of posts that tend to imply that Apple hasn't thought about any of it. As though Apple has a history of being inept or something (and please spare us the references to the cube and iPod Hi-Fi...)

• Reply 75 of 201
    Quote:

Dude.  You underestimate the power of Apple.  If customers WANT it BADLY (which they will) they will offer it.  Or else customers will buy a different car.

Its the same deal with ApplePay.  Those merchants who refuse to offer it are suffering (Walmart) and those that do (Wholefoods) are benefiting.

I don't think either the customers or the car companies feel as strongly about a watch replacing their key fob. There is no problem that it is solving like ?Pay which helps stop fraud and identity theft. An Apple watch unlocking your car is absolutely no better solution than my BMW already has. I have my fob in my pocket and I never have to take it out even to start the engine and drive. It also locks by the touch of my finger on the door handle.

• Reply 76 of 201
    mac_128 wrote: »

Then why would automobile companies work to allow this feature?
  • Reply 77 of 201
    F**king Old Batteries!
  • Reply 78 of 201

Im' surprised so many people seem to think this is some sort of replacement for the key. We're all still going to have keys and fobs and loads of options to share cars with friends attendants mechanics etc. The watch is just an indulgent (check that; one great reason to get the watch for myself ;) ) way of getting into your car without ALWAYS needing a key. Don't you guys already have attendant key for your cars that won't open the trunk? Sheesh guys. 

• Reply 79 of 201

also a great feature for the house. I hate searching for my keys when I'm loaded down with stuff in hand.

• Reply 80 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

also a great feature for the house. I hate searching for my keys when I'm loaded down with stuff in hand.

Yep, this is definitely coming with HomeKit. I wish I could use it but my doors are too custom and already have expensive locks. I normally enter through the garage anyway which of course has a button in the car so no keys needed.

On my new house I am putting in everything HomeKit.