Rumor: iOS 8.2 release is imminent from Apple, iOS 8.3 to follow closely behind

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    OK, here goes.:
    • March 02 - iOS 8.2 Release
    • March 09 - Apple Watch formal Introduction
    • March 13 - Apple Watch Preorders begin
    • March 20 - Apple Watch Available Online and Retail -- ships with iOS required on attendant iPhone

iOS 8.3 contains Swift 1.2, and could be released anytime -- I suspect that Swift 1.2 is needed, ASAP, for the Apple / IBM partnership -- and could be tied to an iPad Pro.

When iOS 8.3 is released it will support Apple Watch.

1) I don't see ?Watch getting a March date, and even early April seems suspect with Apple's history.

2) I think it's unreasonable to expect iOS 8.3 to have been rewritten in Swift at this point. That seems like something for an major new iOS update. Maybe iOS 9, maybe not. Are there any performance advances in the iOS 8.3 betas that would indicate it's been rewritten in Swift?

3) What does Swift have to do with an IBM partnership?
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) I don't see ?Watch getting a March date, and even early April seems suspect with Apple's history.

2) I think it's unreasonable to expect iOS 8.3 to have been rewritten in Swift at this point. That seems like something for an major new iOS update. Maybe iOS 9, maybe not. Are there any performance advances in the iOS 8.3 betas that would indicate it's been rewritten in Swift?

3) What does Swift have to do with an IBM partnership?

I agree with #1

Re-reading the previous post, he / she never said iOS 8.3 was re-written in Swift. It contains Swift 1.2, as in support for Swift 1.2, which is the next major version of Swift

Swift has a lot to do with the IBM partnership considering that the 100 or so enterprise apps being developed as part of the Apple / IBM partnership will be developed using Swift.

• Reply 23 of 62
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Re-reading the previous post, he / she never said iOS 8.3 was re-written in Swift. It contains Swift 1.2, as in support for Swift 1.2, which is the next major version of Swift

Swift has a lot to do with the IBM partnership considering that the 100 or so enterprise apps being developed as part of the Apple / IBM partnership will be developed using Swift.

I don't follow. Are you saying that you can't write an app in Swift right now, and have it work on iOS 8.2 after its compiled?
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I don't follow. Are you saying that you can't write an app in Swift right now, and have it work on iOS 8.2 after its compiled?

Yes, you can but Swift 1.2 is a major upgrade from a performance and bug fix point of view.

• Reply 25 of 62
    It does have legitimate issues. I've done three restores on my iPad Air trying to resolve the Other storage issue, including a clean restore. Didn't work at all.
    I believe that was (possibly still is) a known issue. If after each restore, you restore the device from a backup, that "other" data will return. I believe it had something to do with iMessage content, but not certain.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    I've had those album art issues in iOS 8 on an iPhone (iPad Air too) Even songs I bought on the device don't always download the art, which is hilarious.
    I recently setup several new iPhone 6's where the owner's content was purely from the iTunes Store, and while yes, some album art doesn't always download right away, I noticed that within an hour or two, everything got populated and showed correctly.
  • Reply 27 of 62

Troll? Hardly.  I've had iPhones since they became available.  My IT support business is run on Macs. I have a 100% apple household.
    My experience with iOS 8 has been lousy, and I have colleagues who've run into similar issues.

So as an industry professional with 20 years experience and dedicated Apple fanboi, I can tell you that Apple has a lot of work to do in the stability department with iOS.
    Love it when trolls defend themselves by putting out how many Apple devices (if any) they own, as giving them ground to stand on to defend their hyperbole.
  • Reply 28 of 62

For those who uses their iDevices very little, they may not notice any problems.

For those of us who use them extensively, the problems in iOS 8.1.3 are numerous and unacceptable.
    Since iOS 8.1, it's been smooth sailing for me, and all the people around me with iOS 8.1 and up. As of 8.1.3, I've seen barely a hiccup out of it, or any of the apps running on it.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

For those who uses their iDevices very little, they may not notice any problems.

For those of us who use them extensively, the problems in iOS 8.1.3 are numerous and unacceptable.

Since iOS 8.1, it's been smooth sailing for me, and all the people around me with iOS 8.1 and up. As of 8.1.3, I've seen barely a hiccup out of it, or any of the apps running on it.

I get regular reboots. Reminds me of the kernel panics of Mac OS 10.0 days.

• Reply 30 of 62
    canukstorm wrote: »
    OK, here goes.:
    • March 20 - Apple Watch Available Online and Retail -- ships with iOS required on attendant iPhone
    •  

iOS 8.3 contains Swift 1.2, and could be released anytime -- I suspect that Swift 1.2 is needed, ASAP, for the Apple / IBM partnership -- and could be tied to an iPad Pro.

Tim Cook has already said that the Watch will be available for sale in April so that March 20th date makes no sense.  I think the lead time between formal introduction and availability will be longer than people think.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's around a month lead time to get apps ready, to get any OS kinks ironed out, and also to get Apple Retail up and ready to go. 

I disagree! Tim will meet his commitment that the Apple Watch is available in April ... That does not mean that it cannot be available, supply-constrained, in March. There is much to gain by beating the April deadline!

• Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

OK, here goes.:

•  

Tim Cook has already said that the Watch will be available for sale in April so that March 20th date makes no sense.  I think the lead time between formal introduction and availability will be longer than people think.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's around a month lead time to get apps ready, to get any OS kinks ironed out, and also to get Apple Retail up and ready to go. 

I disagree! Tim will meet his commitment that the Apple Watch is available in April ... That does not mean that it cannot be available, supply-constrained in March. Their is much to gain by beating the April deadline!

There is!

It’s best to get the painful things over and done with as soon as possible.

Don't discount the possibility that Cook may pull a Google Glass, and postpone/cancel the launch in the face of lacklustre interest.

• Reply 32 of 62
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I’m not having any problems with 8.1.3 and will be welcoming 8.2 with open arms. Each iteration gets better no natter what the League of the Perpetually Dissatisfied says.

I'm probably never going to touch 8.1.3, and I won't be loading 8.2 until there's a jailbreak. 

iOS is just too damn limiting until it's jailbroken.  Once there's a jailbreak, it's a useful OS.

• Reply 33 of 62
    I disagree! Tim will meet his commitment that the Apple Watch is available in April ... That does not mean that it cannot be available, supply-constrained, in March. There is much to gain by beating the April deadline!

Saying "It could be available before April" ? "It will be available in stores March 20th."

We don't even know how this is going to be distributed. My guess, is that it can't be done like every other product Apple has sold, but needs to pull many ideas from the fashion industry. I'd think we'd see ?Watch Sport at sporting good stores and other stores, like Target and Walmart, where the lower-end models would more likely sell. Then we have stores with ?Watch Sport and ?Watch, like clothing stores, perhaps like The Gap and Sears, and then ?Watch and ?Watch Edition at higher end stores like Macys and Neiman Marcus, and perhaps then ?Watch Edition models at jewelry stores that sell fairly expensive watches. Basically I'm predicting a breakdown that matches how these watches are sold now. If Neiman Marcus sells sports watches for a few hundred bucks right now then I can also see them selling ?Watch Sport.

Note that we don't yet have any Apple Stores that have the new ?Watch areas in place. Will these be in the front, where new stuff is usually shown off, or will they need to keep in back for both security reasons and because they need a glass cabinet to show off up to 34 different models that will have to be tried on as requested. Can they make a security wire that would still let you try it on whilst being on the center table at the front? Would they want to do that as it could ruin the presentation?

There are lots of unknowns here.

edit: What a coincidence. I just an article immediately after posted that leads me to believe I may be on the right track.
    "The launch of the watch will undoubtedly pose a challenge for Apple's stores. "We've never sold anything as a company that people could try on before", he says. This may require "tweaking the experience in the store", he told his staff at the Covent Garden store."
  • Reply 34 of 62
    darkvader wrote: »

I'm probably never going to touch 8.1.3, and I won't be loading 8.2 until there's a jailbreak. 

iOS is just too damn limiting until it's jailbroken.  Once there's a jailbreak, it's a useful OS.
    If you're a fiddler that likes to tweak the system, just go get an "open" Android device. I don't condone jailbreaking in the slightest, as it opens the device up to worlds of issues.
  • Reply 35 of 62

I get regular reboots. Reminds me of the kernel panics of Mac OS 10.0 days.
    Sounds to me like you have a corrupted, or worse, defective device. These incidents usually occur when the OS is truly FUBAR, or the hardware has issues. If putting it into DFU mode and doing a complete restore doesn't fix it, take it to Apple and have them replace it. Their diagnostics will show them the kernel panics, and codes, to determine if faulty hardware is to blame.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Can we go back to iOS 6? The design much better- skeumorphic and dimension. We tried out the flat fisher price look- it's cute, trendy, and we're over it now. I need some dimension and layering in my UI. Jony can design hardware like nobody's business but get his hand out of the software design cookie jars!

Also 7 and 8 have always been buggy, the graphics get crunched together in the UI when rotating your device, image loading issues in Safari, large images don't display properly, I could go on...
  • Reply 37 of 62
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Can we go back to iOS 6? The design much better- skeumorphic and dimension. We tried out the flat fisher price look- it's cute, trendy, and we're over it now. I need some dimension and layering in my UI. Jony can design hardware like nobody's business but get his hand out of the software design cookie jars!

Also 7 and 8 have always been buggy, the graphics get crunched together in the UI when rotating your device, image loading issues in Safari, large images don't display properly, I could go on...

I infiintely prefer the look of 7/8 and don't see the issues you see.  To each his own.

• Reply 38 of 62
    tyler82 wrote: »

OMG NO! That look was outdated well before iOS 6 but iOS 7 made it apparent just how pointless it was for virtual items to be forced to look like their physical counterparts in age where people are widely familiar with the iPhone and iPad. In 2007 it may have been needed, but certainly not in 2015.

I've experienced that with Messages in iOS 8, but it's a bug in iOS 8, not something that's inherent to a lack of skeuomorphism.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

This thread is so utterly predictable. It is repeated every time an update is released. Every. Single. Time. From the comments one could get the impression that iOS and OS X are helplessly, uselessly, pathetically unusable. That there are close to 1 billion users of apple devices now speaks volumes as to the veracity of such claims. They are complete bovine excrement, especially when coming from the usual suspects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Nonsense.

• Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This thread is so utterly predictable. It is repeated every time an update is released. Every. Single. Time. From the comments one could get the impression that iOS and OS X are helplessly, uselessly, pathetically unusable. That there are close to 1 billion users of apple devices now speaks volumes as to the veracity of such claims. They are complete bovine excrement, especially when coming from the usual suspects.

Nonsense.

It is correct that Apple has sold at least, if not more than, 1 billion devices but that doesn't necessarily mean there are 1 billion unique Apple users.  I haven't seen any numbers and I'm not sure if they exist but I'd be surprised if Apple's user base is above 500 million.