Rumor: iOS 8.2 release is imminent from Apple, iOS 8.3 to follow closely behind

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This thread is so utterly predictable. It is repeated every time an update is released. Every. Single. Time. From the comments one could get the impression that iOS and OS X are helplessly, uselessly, pathetically unusable. That there are close to 1 billion users of apple devices now speaks volumes as to the veracity of such claims. They are complete bovine excrement, especially when coming from the usual suspects.

Nonsense.

If this were true and you were confident in it, you wouldn't feel the need to reply, and at such length too. 

iOS 8 has been out for 6 months now and I still can't even have faith that my music won't shut off, skip to the next song, and turn off the shuffle when I hit the sleep wake button. Also, when unlocking my device while listening to an audiobook, the audiobook stops when I open up the music app. And I can't restart it without having to quit the music app and reopen it, then scroll back to my audiobook. I could go on.. it's buggy, even basic, simple features, like listening to music, have become complicated and unpredictable.

I am holding out that Apple updates its UI with a Metal look to match (hopefully) upcoming LiquidMetal iPhones. 

• Reply 42 of 62
    tyler82 wrote: »
    Can we go back to iOS 6? The design much better- skeumorphic and dimension. We tried out the flat fisher price look- it's cute, trendy, and we're over it now. I need some dimension and layering in my UI. Jony can design hardware like nobody's business but get his hand out of the software design cookie jars!

Also 7 and 8 have always been buggy, the graphics get crunched together in the UI when rotating your device, image loading issues in Safari, large images don't display properly, I could go on...
    That old argument again? Jesus man, stop clinging to the past and move forward! This is technology, and it doesn't stand still with time.

All the people screaming at the top of their lungs about how horrible and childish the new flat iOS design was when v7 came out, sacrificing goats on the alter professing it would be the doom of Apple and the iPhone and iPad, and look where Apple is now?

Just move on already!
  • Reply 43 of 62
    magman1979 wrote: »
    That old argument again? Jesus man, stop clinging to the past and move forward! This is technology, and it doesn't stand still with time.

All the people screaming at the top of their lungs about how horrible and childish the new flat iOS design was when v7 came out, sacrificing goats on the alter professing it would be the doom of Apple and the iPhone and iPad, and look where Apple is now?

Just move on already!

Based on the bitching and moaning during the months leading up to the iOS 7 release when we saw screenshot and videos of the betas, I figured the outcry from users on the web would be bad, but it turns out that people overwhelmingly loved the fresh, new modern look.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    If this were true and you were confident in it, you wouldn't feel the need to reply, and at such length too. 

iOS 8 has been out for 6 months now and I still can't even have faith that my music won't shut off, skip to the next song, and turn off the shuffle when I hit the sleep wake button. Also, when unlocking my device while listening to an audiobook, the audiobook stops when I open up the music app. And I can't restart it without having to quit the music app and reopen it, then scroll back to my audiobook. I could go on.. it's buggy, even basic, simple features, like listening to music, have become complicated and unpredictable.

I am holding out that Apple updates its UI with a Metal look to match (hopefully) upcoming LiquidMetal iPhones. 
    He responded to your (as he so eloquently put it) bovine excrement comment, because it elicits a response from those of us who know better...

If the masses, for the sake of argument, 600 million unique iOS users, were experiencing the issues you described on masse, do you REALLY think that wouldn't be headline news on EVERY major mainstream news outlet on the planet, and perhaps collapse the sales of those devices? The issues you describe do NOT happen on a regular basis, and are usually the result of a corrupted OS. Remember, we call them smart "phones", but they are actually running a UNIX OS, an OS meant for mainframe computers, which makes them more closely related to pocket computers than a phone. And what happens with computers? From time to time they get corrupted, and need a clean, fresh start.

Try putting your phone into DFU mode and do a complete re-install of iOS. If it's still unstable after that, take it to Apple and have them replace it, as it sounds at that point more like defective hardware.

All too often these threads are littered with the bovine excrement (sorry lkrupp, love that expression) of individual users who just have one-off corrupted phones and/or bunk hardware, and instead of getting it corrected or replaced, come here to profess to the world as if they're all bad and that Apple is at fault... What a bunch of BULL!
  • Reply 45 of 62
    solipsismy wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    I predict 8.4 will follow 8.3

I know you're making a joke, but I think 8.4 is unlikely. I think 8.3 is mostly for working with ?Watch and then we'll se one or more 8.3.n tertiary point updates to address bugs, with iOS 9 being demoed this Summer at WWDC and then iOS 9.0 released this Autumn around September.

Sounds reasonable. If so, we will hardly see 8.3 settle down before the rumors start up about what Apple will do stir into 9.0. Since Apple doubled down on secrecy what ever they have planned for new iOS releases is usually pretty much a surprise. In fact, I can't even speculate, based on patents and clues, what Apple might announce at WWDC... but I expect it will be more to increase the difficulty of other brands to duplicate whatever Apple offers.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    In fact, I can't even speculate, based on patents and clues, what Apple might announce at WWDC... but I expect it will be more to increase the difficulty of other brands to duplicate whatever Apple offers.

Personally, I'd like to see iOS and Mac OS X start to incorporate massive changes to Swift which show performance improvements, as well as an overall cleaning up and refinement of code, not unlike we saw with Snow Leopard. People like to say it's the "no new features" update but there were plenty of new features.

Overall there is a lot Apple could do to make their devices connect more seamlessly to each other, which no one else can compete with. I make phone calls a lot more from my Mac than I would have expected so getting better UI that doesn't open up the FaceTime app would be great.

I'd also like to see Maps get a great update, including a public web portal (note that iCloud's Find My Friends has been using Apple's Mapping solution since last Summer).
  • Reply 47 of 62
    He responded to your (as he so eloquently put it) bovine excrement comment, because it elicits a response from those of us who know better...

If the masses, for the sake of argument, 600 million unique iOS users, were experiencing the issues you described on masse, do you REALLY think that wouldn't be headline news on EVERY major mainstream news outlet on the planet, and perhaps collapse the sales of those devices? The issues you describe do NOT happen on a regular basis, and are usually the result of a corrupted OS. Remember, we call them smart "phones", but they are actually running a UNIX OS, an OS meant for mainframe computers, which makes them more closely related to pocket computers than a phone. And what happens with computers? From time to time they get corrupted, and need a clean, fresh start.

Try putting your phone into DFU mode and do a complete re-install of iOS. If it's still unstable after that, take it to Apple and have them replace it, as it sounds at that point more like defective hardware.

All too often these threads are littered with the bovine excrement (sorry lkrupp, love that expression) of individual users who just have one-off corrupted phones and/or bunk hardware, and instead of getting it corrected or replaced, come here to profess to the world as if they're all bad and that Apple is at fault... What a bunch of BULL!

Spare me.. You are nothing but a Yes Man. If Apple went back to the 3D UI you would be praising it and everyone that is so "forward thinking" such as yourself that prefers the flat UI would be labeled a traitor, a loser, a piece of excrement, and kicked off the island.

And plenty of people hate the flat iOS since iOS 7. It's like going from OS X to OS 9.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Barrie View Post

Anything will better than 8.1.3.  So many problems - Siri crashing, music app crashing, music lowering volume as if notification came in (but didn't) then never coming back up to level, still have times when I can't go backward to previous songs in Music app, battery life, iTunes match not syncing album covers and so much.  This is after factory reset and setting phone up as new.  Keeps getting worse as 8 goes along.  Here's hoping 9 is the bugfix release they claim.

My extended family contains seven iPhones, five iPhone 6 and two iPhone 5S. No one is reporting any of these issues and we all use the features you say are broken. I worked for AT&T for 34 years and near the end saw the deployment of tens of thousands of iPhones and iPads. iPhones are standard issue these days at the telecom giant.

So the question you should be asking your self is why you are having issues and others aren’t because it’s certainly not iOS 8. You are an outlier, an anecdote, an invalid statistic, a poltergeist of your own id, irrelevant to the facts. Try understanding how the features work.

• Reply 49 of 62
    Spare me.. You are nothing but a Yes Man. If Apple went back to the 3D UI you would be praising it and everyone that is so "forward thinking" such as yourself that prefers the flat UI would be labeled a traitor, a loser, a piece of excrement, and kicked off the island.

And plenty of people hate the flat iOS since iOS 7. It's like going from OS X to OS 9.

Spare you? Why should we? You come in here running your mouth off about how horrible iOS has become, (hopefully) knowing full well how much BS that statement was filled with, and now you're getting pissy when people here who know better are dishing it back to you? Please, spare US!

I just got a first-generation iPad, running iOS 5.1.1, donated to me, as the original owner almost never used it, and thought I could make use of it for something. Now having an iOS device with the classic skeumorphic-laden interface right next to one with the flat UI of iOS 8, there is NO COMPARISON between the two, with the favour going to iOS 8 by leaps and bounds. And guess what? Most of the consumers have spoken with their wallets, and love it too.

The amount of people who hate iOS's current flat UI are about as infinitesimal as your narrow minded train of thought. You're just another person to add to the "old dogs can't learn new tricks" club.

And BTW, if you actually took the time to read my comment, you'll note I did actually try and give you some help on how to make your phone work better. Obviously all you want to do is continue spouting your vitriol and don't actually give a damn. In which case, there's the door.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Didn't take long for the trolls to come out to play...

I guess I'll be a troll too.

iPhone 6+ - screen rotation sticks and you have to close app and rotate phone and launch app again. Also springboard from locked screen often doesn't work. Want a quick picture to take? You might miss it because you have to unlock phone and launch camera app. Goes for wanting to use flashlight as well. Also Podcast app doesn't update in background over wifi still. Other than that it's pretty good. Enough to be super annoying when your locked screen doesn't respond.
  • Reply 51 of 62

Yeah, because all the people that stated they didn't care for the increased move toward skeuomorphism were just "Yes Men" with psychic powers¡
  • Reply 52 of 62
    pfisher wrote: »

iPhone 6+ - screen rotation sticks and you have to close app and rotate phone and launch app again.

How the **** is that because there isn't enough skeuomorphism in iOS?! :???:
  • Reply 53 of 62
    pfisher wrote: »

iPhone 6+ - screen rotation sticks and you have to close app and rotate phone and launch app again. Also springboard from locked screen often doesn't work. Want a quick picture to take? You might miss it because you have to unlock phone and launch camera app. Goes for wanting to use flashlight as well. Also Podcast app doesn't update in background over wifi still. Other than that it's pretty good. Enough to be super annoying when your locked screen doesn't respond.
    That again sounds like a corrupted OS install...
  • Reply 54 of 62
    solipsismy wrote: »
    How the **** is that because there isn't enough skeuomorphism in iOS?! :???:

I think he was responding to my original post, so yeah it seems kind of random at this point in the topic debate :)
  • Reply 55 of 62
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Everyone I know is super stoked about the coming iPhoto app. Finally, editing photos will show up on all devices linked to the cloud account, assuming you use it. Please, Apple, join the world and up the free storage amount. It's not about the $, it's about the default usage. You'll gain new users....same principle as the .99 cent music download.

And just like the new Photo app, rewrite the Podcast app so it does exactly the same thing. Here's what I want:

I listen to a podcast in my car. I get home and sync my iPad/iPhone/iDevice. Every device is perfectly synced.

Please...hire as many engineers as it takes to figure out Sync. Then hurry up and get the goodies in 8.2.

• Reply 56 of 62
    Search is still broken.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

iOS 6 is like the 2000s.   So 10 years ago.    I *AM* a Yes man  (www dot yes world dot com) but not a yes-man.   And if Apple went back to the fake 3D of iOS pre 7 I would not be saying anything about "forward looking".   Spare us your nostalgia.

When I use an non-updated iOS app now, it looks so pathetic and old fashioned.  Like W95 or System 7/8 Mac OS 9 in terms of feel.   (Kind of like the feeling I get when I use Android -- so W95 feeling [not having tried 5.0 Lollipop or whatever they are calling it]).

• Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Spare you? Why should we? You come in here running your mouth off about how horrible iOS has become, (hopefully) knowing full well how much BS that statement was filled with, and now you're getting pissy when people here who know better are dishing it back to you? Please, spare US!

I just got a first-generation iPad, running iOS 5.1.1, donated to me, as the original owner almost never used it, and thought I could make use of it for something. Now having an iOS device with the classic skeumorphic-laden interface right next to one with the flat UI of iOS 8, there is NO COMPARISON between the two, with the favour going to iOS 8 by leaps and bounds. And guess what? Most of the consumers have spoken with their wallets, and love it too.

The amount of people who hate iOS's current flat UI are about as infinitesimal as your narrow minded train of thought. You're just another person to add to the "old dogs can't learn new tricks" club.

And BTW, if you actually took the time to read my comment, you'll note I did actually try and give you some help on how to make your phone work better. Obviously all you want to do is continue spouting your vitriol and don't actually give a damn. In which case, there's the door.

Wow, dissenting opinions really get you fired up, calm down! 

As chadbag eloquently put it- "To Each His Own." Just accept that people have differing opinions than yours and that one man's taste is another man's gag reflex. 

I have reset the iOS multiple times. Doesn't work. I am having the same issues on my iPhone 5s and my iPad 3rd generation, so it is an iOS 8 issue. I am getting images in different places on a web site than they should be. For instance, the Apple Insider logo will be next to a user's name in place of their avatar. This then distorts then entire table of the website, making text incredibly difficult to read. Again, this happens on my iPhone 5s and iPad, and has happened since iOS 8.0. On. Both. Devices. Again, another issue I am dealing with. I could go on.. if you keep replying, I guess I'll have to.

But I guess having dissenting opinions makes me spouting "excrement." So immature. 

BTW Apple is a company founded on dissent and outside thinking.

• Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

iOS 6 is like the 2000s.   So 10 years ago.    I *AM* a Yes man  (www dot yes world dot com) but not a yes-man.   And if Apple went back to the fake 3D of iOS pre 7 I would not be saying anything about "forward looking".   Spare us your nostalgia.

When I use an non-updated iOS app now, it looks so pathetic and old fashioned.  Like W95 or System 7/8 Mac OS 9 in terms of feel.   (Kind of like the feeling I get when I use Android -- so W95 feeling [not having tried 5.0 Lollipop or whatever they are calling it]).

In response to Solipsism and your reply here,

I definitely think that iOS 6 is outdated looking, I have never liked the grey blue dull look. I just really like the dimensions of the UI. I do not like flat graphics. But some people prefer IKEA or Danish modern furniture to classic or rustic leather furniture. 

I would like to see a combo of iOS 6's dimension with iOS 7's color contrasts.

• Reply 60 of 62

Wow, dissenting opinions really get you fired up, calm down! 

As chadbag eloquently put it- "To Each His Own." Just accept that people have differing opinions than yours and that one man's taste is another man's gag reflex. 

I have reset the iOS multiple times. Doesn't work. I am having the same issues on my iPhone 5s and my iPad 3rd generation, so it is an iOS 8 issue. I am getting images in different places on a web site than they should be. For instance, the Apple Insider logo will be next to a user's name in place of their avatar. This then distorts then entire table of the website, making text incredibly difficult to read. Again, this happens on my iPhone 5s and iPad, and has happened since iOS 8.0. On. Both. Devices. Again, another issue I am dealing with. I could go on.. if you keep replying, I guess I'll have to.

But I guess having dissenting opinions makes me spouting "excrement." So immature. 
    BTW Apple is a company founded on dissent and outside thinking.
    Appleinsider forums are not a place for debate. Opinions and points of view are fact if it only supports the party line. Dissent is not encouraged. You should know better by now.