Tim Cook says Apple Watch will replace electronic car keys, confirms Apple Store revamp

Comments

• Reply 121 of 201
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

AAPL generally conforms to "Buy the rumor sell the news" so I anticipate AAPL dipping regardless of the Watch's merits. Nothing goes straight up and AAPL has had a great run in 2015. As a longhorn shareholder I expect a 150 handle on the stock by Q4 but not without retreats and breathers. 

I feel the same.  I'm looking for 150 by year's end.  That, of course, assumes a solid Watch launch.

• Reply 122 of 201
    solipsismy wrote: »

2) Having this feature available on other cars means nothing. No one is saying that Hyundai invented the proximity sensor and push button start, or that they first used it in the Hyundai Elantra. It should be obvious that the Elantra would not be the first car in the world to use this technology.

Siemens invented it. Mercedes was the first to use it. Late 1980s, I think.
  • Reply 123 of 201

cool feature! I'm sure there will be some kinks to work out like when you use valet parking but things like this will be worked out I'm sure

• Reply 124 of 201
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which reminds me, I need to put a new battery in my fob.

I don't know what car you have but German cars don't need to replace battery for keyfob. It's charged when in use.

• Reply 125 of 201
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Because everyone wants a $500+ car key.

Ask Mercedes and BMW about their keys...yeah...it's around that price programmed.

By the way, I don't get that most of you guys' cars are a few years old and you need to change battery in the keyfob. That's the reason why I don't like Japanese or American cars: behind the tech. My wife 2000 BMW keys don't need battery change at all. It's charge when inserted into the ignition. My 10 year-old car BMW e90 had keyless entry and all I need is to insert the key into ignition slot once every 6 months during driving. Other times, it's in my pocket.

• Reply 126 of 201
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Because its easier to look at your watch then fish for your phone in your pocket or purse

I don't think you understand how the proximity fob works. You don't look at anything. You just touch the handle and the doors unlock if the fob is in your pocket. If the watch or the iPhone cannot do that, it is inferior to the fob. Of course we can probably assume it is inferior anyway because the fob has a long distance lock/unlock/panic/trunk only open radio signal feature which I doubt will be included in the watch.

• Reply 127 of 201
    Quote:

You dont know how to check your tire pressure and fill your tires?

I do but why should I get my hands dirty when it is a free service from BMW? They also offer me a free beverage and WiFi while they fix the issue.

• Reply 128 of 201
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I hope Viper comes out with an add on device to enable this feature.

• Reply 129 of 201
    Quote:

Because it takes 1 hour to drive to the dealership and get it checked

Not in my case. It is less then 10 minutes from my home. I have an air compressor and a pressure gauge, but it is literally faster to take it to the dealer than roll out the hose and plug it in. They have a dedicated tech at the dealer just for that task. And, if I have an extra 30 minutes I can get a free hand car wash too.

• Reply 130 of 201
    Quote:

Personally i'd love not lugging my fob with me. 

Lugging? Geez, it weighs like 50 g. I'd rather not have to hide anything in my car or wear a watch. Personally, an ?Watch as a replacement for a key fob that isn't even really a complete replacement, is just a novelty, not an actual feature in my opinion.

• Reply 131 of 201
    Quote:

You could use your phone but what would be your backup?

1-800-BMW or 1-800-AAA

My phone has never had a dead battery anyway, ever!

• Reply 132 of 201
    Quote:

You are acting like unlocking your car would be the only function of the watch. Its just one of the 50 things i'd use my watch for. And its not about weight but volume in my pocket.

So since we agree it is not a complete replacement for a fob, then the ?Watch is just one more thing to carry. One of the things that I never liked about wristwatches is that they are bulky and limit movement of my wrist and the buckle can scratch my MBP. It would have to have some real killer features to convince me to wear a watch.

• Reply 133 of 201
    brucemc wrote: »
    What I just find funny is the sheer number of posts that tend to imply that Apple hasn't thought about any of it. As though Apple has a history of being inept or something

It reminds me of Jeff Goldblum's father in Independence Day:

"You think they don't know what you know? Believe me, they know."

:)
  • Reply 134 of 201
    If the watch can unlock the car, why not just the phone? Why would I have to buy a watch, too?
  • Reply 135 of 201
    justbobf wrote: »
    If the watch can unlock the car, why not just the phone? Why would I have to buy a watch, too?

If your phone can do everything that the watch can, and you don't want to wear a watch, you certainly shouldn't be getting one.

But many poeple feel differently, you can see from this thread. So, what exactly is the point of your post?
  • Reply 136 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

I have the same question. I would just hate it if Apple decided to enable a feature only on the ?Watch when the iPhone was clearly just as capable from a hardware perspective but in order to differentiate the two products only allowed the feature on the watch. That would be just BS. 

• Reply 137 of 201
    mstone wrote: »
    I have the same question. I would just hate it if Apple decided to enable a feature only on the ?Watch when the iPhone was clearly just as capable from a hardware perspective but in order to differentiate the two products only allowed the feature on the watch. That would be just BS. 

I'm not sure all reasons would be BS, but it sure wouldn't be a HW limitation, based on everything we've seen.

I could see how Apple would want this to be seamless, which could mean that you have to do nothing with the Apple device in order to lock and unlock your car. With an iPhone this would mean 1) anyone could take your iPhone and acces your car, or 2) you have to pull your iPhone out and authenticate with Touch ID/passcode to unlock it. The former is insecure and the latter is inconvenient for doing all the time.

With ?Watch being on your wrist, knowing it's on your wrist because you authenticate when your first put it on, and knowing it's off your wrist because of the wrist-side sensors, I can see how it is in a unique position to be both secure and convenient for accessing your car.

This, of course, is something else Apple will need to get partners for, and I would wager not as successfully as with CarPlay.
  • Reply 138 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I'm not sure all reasons would be BS, but it sure wouldn't be a HW limitation, based on everything we've seen.

I could see how Apple would want this to be seamless, which could mean that you have to do nothing with teh Apple device in order to lock and unlock uour car. With an iPhone this would mean 1) anyone could take your iPhone and acces your car, or 2) you have to pull your iPhone out and authenticate with Touch ID to unlock it. The former is insecure and the latter is inconvenient for doing all the time.

With ?Watch being on your wrist, knowing it's on your wrist because you authenticate when your first put it on, and knowing it's off your wrist because of the wrist-side sensors, I can see how it is in a unique position to be both secure and convenient for accessing your car.

This, of course, is something else Apple will need to get partners for, and I would wager not as successfully as with CarPlay.

Insightful comments. I think I would prefer to stick with my BMW, Chevy and Toyota fob which are all effortless. If the ?Watch has some other compelling features, I might consider it, but this car lock idea is DOA in my opinion.

• Reply 139 of 201
    mstone wrote: »
    Insightful comments. I think I would prefer to stick with my BMW, Chevy and Toyota fob which are all effortless. If the ?Watch has some other compelling features, I might consider it, but this car lock idea is DOA in my opinion.

That's why I think it'll be even harder to get automobile companies on-board than CarPlay.

CarPlay (and Android Auto) at least offers something they can't, which is allowing you to access to your smartphone with a UI that it idealized for the dash, in much the same way that the iPod was made to work with your car (starting with BMW many years ago). With this idea they need to support what I assume is standard BT with a specific type of encryption setup. What wireless protocol do Smart Keys use? Is it standard BT or something slightly different, the way that Nike+ using a proprietary wireless protocol which I believe is somewhat similar to the IEEE's 802.15.4? If it's standard then that makes it easier, but I'm under the impression there is a lot of secrecy behind this wireless communications to help keep these vehicles safe, so I can't image Apple would be allowed to include them all in ?Watch, as well as not tell us about it.
  • Reply 140 of 201
    Wouldn't be better integrating Apple's fingerprint technology ( with secure element and sensors ) directly into the car? So nobody would worry about battery of the watch or the phone?