Vogue Paris calls the Apple Watch 'a small revolution' in new two-page spread

Comments

• Reply 101 of 165
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

But the problem with keeping the watch dumb is that you can do everything with your phone, so why buy the watch? 

The big advantage of keeping the watch dumb is that it will outlive your phone.

Again, same analogy as the external Cinema Display. You upgrade your macbook while you keep the external display.

• Reply 102 of 165
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    "No one"? Oil sheiks? New money Chinese? Hollywood celebrities?

Yeah.

If Vertu can find enough people to buy their way over priced Android phones then Apple can definitely find people to buy an expensive smartwatch. :lol:
  • Reply 103 of 165
    Blame Apple.

They're the ones who have called it a watch.

And what do they call their smartphone? Oh, yeah, an "iPhone".
  • Reply 104 of 165
    And what do they call their smartphone? Oh, yeah, an "iPhone".

Except back then it was mainly used as a phone.
  • Reply 105 of 165
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The first iPhone was indeed capable of running apps. Jobs thought web apps would be sufficient. He had to be convinced to create the app store.

The question was whether one could install apps on the original iPhone, suggesting that it was a mistake or shortcoming of apple's. Jobs was smarter than you or I -- I think of course he knew apps would come in time, and that the push of web apps as a "sweet solution" was just buying time until the OS capabilities and problems had been solved. I don't believe for a minute he felt web apps would be the sole source of software functionality for all of time. if he had to be convinced that now, this version, was that time, doesn't prove that he never wanted them at all. as a boss I have to be convinced of things by others in order to be assured they and we can pull it off.
  • Reply 106 of 165
    Except back then it was mainly used as a phone.

What? Nonsense. My iPhones have always been used primarily as personal internet devices. Since the first iPhone the phone functionality has been reduced to just an app.
  • Reply 107 of 165
    What? Nonsense. My iPhone's have always been used primarily as personal internet devices. Since the first iPhone the phone part has been nothing more than one app icon among many.

You can only speak for yourself. I'd say most people now use their iPhone for social media, much of which didn't exist in 2007.
  • Reply 108 of 165
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    There's no proof that the watch is going to be solid 18k gold. Apple says the watch is going to be crafted from 18k gold.

18k is 18 k. 75% gold and the rest any alloy you want that works. You can't 'craft' 18k gold into something else with additional metals that reduces that 75% gold and call it 18k.

If it's gold-plated you can use the term 18K. Burberry sells an 18K gold-plated watch:

http://uk.burberry.com/the-britain-bby1210-43mm-automatic-p39530281

Gold-plated watches go all the way down in price:

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-13929-Pro-Diver-Ion-Plated-Automatic/dp/B00D0CK4CE

They probably shouldn't be allowed to use the term because the gold layer can be different thicknesses so it would be very hard to tell how much gold is actually in it by weighing the watch.

Gold can be dented, which would be easier with the rounded Apple Watch edges so they might put a steel chassis around the watch, which gives them a common mounting plate for the interior and then coat that with gold. This wouldn't like gold-plating, which is a layer thinner than paper, it can be a dual outer shell so that you get the strength of the steel but it's still solid gold on the outer layer. This would also allow them to keep the larger and smaller gold watches the same price as the larger one can just have a thinner outer shell but with the same amount of gold in it.
  • Reply 109 of 165
    satchmo wrote: »
    Because you've personally tried the crown yourself?

I've seen enough video of it in action to know if it's going to work reasonably well, just as I saw the iPad UI's in action before it launched, the iPhone's multitouch capacitance touch screen, and countless other technological solutions in actions before I first had a chance to try it myself. A lifetime of seeing does give one an excellent foundation for getting an idea how things work. This is why I can watch a "How To" video on YouTube and then know how do something from coding to play a guitar chord in a just a couple minutes. It's not magic.
  • Reply 110 of 165
    sog35 wrote: »
    I follow the gold watch market and there is no way apple can made a solid 18k watch with less than 1/2 ounce of gold. No watch on the market with 1/2 ounce gold cost less than $2000. Even the generic no name chinese brands.

It comes down to physical limitations (minimum of 1/2 ounce gold) and the watch market. If Apple is striving to be a luxury brand they cannot be selling gold watches for less than no name chinese brands.

Now if the watch is gold plated then all bets are off and it could easy be less than $2000. Doubt they will do gold plate because that gets easy flaked and scratched. This is luxury not ebay market place

You keep making the same mistakes over and over. At least try to make a case as to how it's physically impossible to have less than a 1/2 an ounce of gold in either the 38 or 42mm casings. Show us that you've at least tried to put in some effort to research your argument instead of simply making sweeping claims that you can't support.
  • Reply 111 of 165
    sog35 wrote: »
    Dont think they will make gold plated. That will flake off and looks very cheap.

Apple is going for luxury not cheap.

Perhaps a better way to bond the gold with the underlying metal was discovered to minimize, or even eliminate flaking.
  • Reply 112 of 165
    First time I'm seeing AI being quoted:

Last year when rumors started circulating about Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) being in the process of developing a smartwatch and launching it in the first quarter of 2015, many companies tried to test the waters and introduced their own smartwatches to cash in on the hype. Samsung Group (OTCMKTS:SSNLF) in an attempt to take advantage of the increasing interest among consumers for this wearable introduced a variety of different smartwatches in a short span of time. Other big companies such as LG, Sony, and Google have also introduced their own smartwatches as well.

Apple will release its Apple Watch in April and if history is any indication then Apple is likely to take this market by storm as well. As seen with previous products, the company has entered established markets and blindsided competition with its innovative and revolutionary products and changed the way the market operated. This happened with the iPod, which completely altered the dynamics of the music industry, the iPhone, which brought smartphones - and touch screens - to mainstream usage, and the iPad, which gave the tablet market a makeover. Therefore there is widespread consensus that the features, aesthetics, and productivity of the Apple Watch will help standardize the market and give the product widespread acceptability.

There are some analysts who are worried about the seemin lack of competition in the smart watch market and said that Apple is entering a failed market which has not received any substantial traction.

[B]In a report by AppleInsider.com[/B], the year 2014 saw nearly 6.8 million smartwatches sold at an average price tag of $189. These numbers are not remarkable. The current market leader in the smartwatch is Samsung, which has released several models across multiple platforms. Samsung Gear smart has chalked up sales of 1.2 million units in 2014. Coming in second was Pebble Technology Corporation which saw sales of 700,000 Pebble smartwatches in 2014. Pebble utilizes the strategy that Xiaomi or Huawei have adopted in the smartphone industry by providing similar features with a lower price tag.

Therefore Apple’s entry will enable the Cupertino based firm to occupy a large chunk of the market in both unit and dollar sales due to its large loyal user base and the fact that the cheapest variant of the Apple Watch starts at $349. There are rumors that the Apple Watch Edition will be priced as high as $10,000. According to The Wall street Journal Apple has placed orders for around five to six million Apple Watch units. If Apple manages to realize expected sales it will establish itself as a leader in the market which until now has eluded mass consumption.

Apple already has a robust iOS ecosystem and its biggest asset; hundreds of millions Apple fans, many of which will surely want to try out the watch. Apple has all the tools to charge the sluggish smartwatch market.

source:
    http://www.bidnessetc.com/35752-apple-inc-set-to-revive-smartwatch-market/
  • Reply 113 of 165
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

We'll see if Tim has the same RDF chops that Steve had. To me that watch looks so out of place on that girl. She is literally the last person on earth I would expect to buy something that looks like the calculator watch the electronics sales guy at Best Buy wears. It's going to be a tough sell to get the geekiness out of that watch. I'm even a geek and it still looks too geeky for me.

• Reply 114 of 165
    mstone wrote: »
    We'll see if Tim Has the same RDF chops that Steve had. To me that watch looks so out of place on that girl. She is literally the last person on earth I would expect to buy something that looks like the calculator watch the electronic sales guy at Best Buy wears. It's going to be a tough sell to get the geekiness out of that watch. I'm even a geek and it still looks too geeky for me.

Indeed.

The moment of truth has finally arrived for Cook. I'm prepared to give him up to a year to cast verdict on the Apple Watch. We may know much sooner.

Whatever the outcome, it'll be interesting to see the result, as this will mark the first big new thing that isn't Jobs's vision, at least, as far as we know.
  • Reply 115 of 165
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Nope. There's a lot of speculation about the ?Watch, but Apple is clear on this point -- it REQUIRES an iPhone. Folks who are interested in the watch only are looking at a minimum $1,000 investment with the addition of an iPhone.

Another uninformed post from you. AppleWatch will be a standalone watch, fitness tracker and iPod, at a minimum. It will have standalone apps written for it. There may be additional standalone functionality we don't know about yet.

Thanks for agreeing with the other four points of my post.
  • Reply 116 of 165
    mstone wrote: »
    We'll see if Tim has the same RDF chops that Steve had. To me that watch looks so out of place on that girl. She is literally the last person on earth I would expect to buy something that looks like the calculator watch the electronics sales guy at Best Buy wears. It's going to be a tough sell to get the geekiness out of that watch. I'm even a geek and it still looks too geeky for me.

Could you show me some examples of these calculator watches on a Best Buy employee. I've said it doesn't look appealing to me, but putting it in the same clas as calculator watvhes, or even Android Wear devices sounds like hyperbole.
  • Reply 117 of 165
    Another uninformed post from you. AppleWatch will be a standalone watch, fitness tracker and iPod, at a minimum. It will have standalone apps written for it. There may be additional standalone functionality we don't know about yet.

Thanks for agreeing with the other four points of my post.

I have to assume that anyone that ignores those points after 6 months of information to the contrary is simply trolling.
  • Reply 118 of 165
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    AppleWatch will be a standalone watch, fitness tracker and iPod, at a minimum. It will have standalone apps written for it.
    Please do link to your references for this. Especially how these apps are going to get into the ?Watch. I have a video of Tim Cook saying otherwise.

Your post also presumes that people who would buy a watch for these three things alone, currently have no other way to do them, and would want to spend $400 to get them all in one wrist-worn device, even though they have no other investment in the Apple ecosystem, which would make getting those apps into the watch even more interesting.
  • Reply 119 of 165
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Could you show me some examples of these calculator watches on a Best Buy employee. I've said it doesn't look appealing to me, but putting it in the same clas as calculator watvhes, or even Android Wear devices sounds like hyperbole.

From a distance, the app icons look remarkably similar to the little key pad buttons on the classic calculator watch.

• Reply 120 of 165
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Your post also presumes that people who would buy a watch for these three things alone, currently have no other way to do them, and would want to spend [$500] to get them all in one [oversized iPod Touch that isn't as good as a real computer], even though they have no other investment in the Apple ecosystem.

What was likely Mac_128's reasoning for the iPad's imminent failure back in 2010.