Shuttle drivers at Apple, other Silicon Valley tech companies vote for Teamsters representation

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Steve Jobs never finished, for one. There are many wealthy people who are self-made.

Nobody is "self-made." 

As arrogant as Steve jobs could often be, I never heard of him claiming to be "self-made." I imagine he would have found The notion silly. Whenever he spoke of his success he cited the influence of others, from his parents, to his colleagues, to helpful stalwarts of silicon Valley. He pursued his vision, but he clearly appreciated all the help he got along the way.

• Reply 82 of 170
    Did Apple][ get banned? I figure he'd be all over this one
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Seems like it.

You know you can look that up, right? [@]Apple ][[/@]* has been online for over 5 days now.

Now, what you might not know is that he was banned last week but that ban was lifted days ago. I suspect he'll be back. This forum is too good to be ignored for too long.

* Just click his name to verify.
  • Reply 83 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Above that, if your job is not paying you enough, go find another one.  Last time I checked, truck drivers are being offered $100K+ salaries.  That sounds like a step up from bus driver doesn't it?

Oh really? Could you share those $100K+ truck driver postings you always see with us?

• Reply 84 of 170
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    San Francisco was settled by white people like myself who ran Native Americans out, many of which made their money by slavery or as a result of it. Now that Native Americans and African Americans have the opportunity to return and buy a house in a beautiful place like San Francisco, some want to use their influence and their governments influence to keep things the way they have been. They want to cement their position even though no one in the past was able to do that. If the city is becoming popular, let anyone who wants to pay money get in. If I own property in San Francisco, let me sell it for the price I want. Let me rent it for the price I want. Let people have a choice to live there. If you can't afford to live there, maybe you need to move to one of the places that these suppressed people have had to live for the last 200 years.

Well except the people who founded San Francisco were Mexican and Spanish. Neither of whom are "white".

Sort of hinted by the name? A Spanish name?

And they didn't "run out" the locals, they enslaved them.
  • Reply 85 of 170
    desuserign wrote: »
    Nobody is "self-made." 
    As arrogant as Steve jobs could often be, I never heard of him claiming to be "self-made." I imagine he would have found The notion silly. Whenever he spoke of his success he cited the influence of others, from his parents, to his colleagues, to helpful stalwarts of silicon Valley. He pursued his vision, but he clearly appreciated all the help he got along the way.

I dislike that term and the notion that if you have less than someone else it's because you are simply lazier, that goes along with it.

There are certainly many things I did for myself, but they were all from a foundation in which I had nothing to do with. Simply put, there is a great deal of nature and nurture that is involved that trumps any of these specific choices that we make as adults. People don't look at how society, family, health, and intelligence are huge factors you have no say in. I am always amazed at the people that had so much less than I did that have found a path. If I grew up an impoverish nation, with a bad family or no family, with severely poor health, and/or of a low intelligence I don't see how I could still be at the same position I am today putting in the same effort. In fact, I'd say I'd be in much worse position (perhaps long dead) while putting in a lot more work. I look at what some people have had to endure in their lives and I can say that I could not have done what they did if I had the exact same circumstances in which to overcome.
  • Reply 86 of 170
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Well except the people who founded San Francisco were Mexican and Spanish. Neither of whom are "white".

1) :???: Since when are the Spanish not considered "white"?

2) Why are still using such terms when we know about DNA and have maps the origins of man through various cultures isolated by both real and imaginary borders?
  • Reply 87 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Did Apple][ get banned? I figure he'd be all over this one

Seems like it.

No he is not banned. He's probably on vacation or whatever. He logged on 5 days ago.

• Reply 88 of 170
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The "commonly accepted knowledge" with regard to unions is not correct. American prosperity was already on an upswing, wages were rising and the number of hours per week people were willing to work were already being shortened by the time big labor was a part of the picture. In fact, it was because of the pace of growing business that most were able to absorb and pass along these additional costs to consumers. When the rapid pace of business growth started to slow and the bottom fell out, the generous labor contracts and perks could not be maintained. Mass manufacturing relocated to China and the needs of businesses in America shifted to service, white collar and online. This same upward trajectory can be seen in China as they move from a manufacturing economy into services and technology. Manufacturing and labor intensive work has been transitioning to poorer and less developed countries for some time now.

Total nonsense.

• Reply 89 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »

You know you can look that up, right? [@]Apple ][[/@]* has been online for over 5 days now.

Now, what you might not know is that he was banned last week but that ban was lifted days ago. I suspect he'll be back. This forum is too good to be ignored for too long.

* Just click his name to verify.

Yes I knew that, but thanks nonetheless. I just didn't find it important enough to do so.
  • Reply 90 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Not taking sides, but this seems a strange thing to say.

Surely, 80-90% of people in Spain are caucasian, which I think many would call "white," whatever that really means. I think your just getting sucked into the OP's framing of his possibly limited worldview.

• Reply 91 of 170
    desuserign wrote: »
    Not taking sides, but this seems a strange thing to say.
    Surely, 80-90% of people in Spain are caucasian, which I think many would call "white," whatever that really means. I think your just getting sucked into the OP's framing of his possibly limited worldview.

They're most definitely 'Europeans', unless of course the OP meant 'white' as from Anglo Saxon descent.
  • Reply 92 of 170
    jfc1138 wrote: »

I'm actually quite impressed at how far north the Spanish got trying to colonize the west coast ahead of the approaching settlers from the east. Ultimately they were spread out too thin to hold on to their claims. I am surprised that all the saintly names were kept.
  • Reply 93 of 170
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I'm actually quite impressed at how far north the Spanish got trying to colonize the west coast ahead of the approaching settlers from the east. Ultimately they were spread out too thin to hold on to their claims. I am surprised that all the saintly names were kept.

If there had been a passage through Panama naturally things would have been very different.
  • Reply 94 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I dislike that term and the notion that if you have less than someone else it's because you are simply lazier, that goes along with it.

There are certainly many things I did for myself, but they were all from a foundation in which I had nothing to do with. Simply put, there is a great deal of nature and nurture that is involved that trumps any of these specific choices that we make as adults. People don't look at how society, family, health, and intelligence are huge factors you have no say in. I am always amazed at the people that had so much less than I did that have found a path. If I grew up an impoverish nation, with a bad family or no family, with severely poor health, and/or of a low intelligence I don't see how I could still be at the same position I am today putting in the same effort. In fact, I'd say I'd be in much worse position (perhaps long dead) while putting in a lot more work. I look at what some people have had to endure in their lives and I can say that I could not have done what they did if I had the exact same circumstances in which to overcome.

Agreed.

For the many people born into a bad situation, only a very great deal of personal effort can possibly help them to improve their situation. Even then, things can go very wrong very easily, and often it does. It's worth remembering that in the greater world, having clean water to drink and a safe place to take a crap is a nearly unobtainable aspiration for many.

• Reply 95 of 170
    Quote:

True, but the claims were not held by military in those northern areas, only Catholic missions, so of course they could not forcibly hold on to them.

• Reply 96 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

If there had been a passage through Panama naturally things would have been very different.

Perhaps but no one knows. The Pacific is a big area. The Spaniards made it all the way to the Philippines during that same era and substantially colonizes that culture and also made it all the way down the west coast of South America. 

• Reply 97 of 170
    mstone wrote: »
    True, but the claims were not held by military in those northern areas, only Catholic missions, so of course they could not forcibly hold on to them.

It's not like the military was going to be much help, because they still lost the claims in which they did have a military presence.
  • Reply 98 of 170
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Unions gave us the 40 hours / 5 day work week. Understanding the role of unions in American labor history is pretty important.

Specific to the Bay Area, you have to pay people living wages and that is much higher in the Bay Area. $50k a year is barely covering rent.

The problem with paying a living wage to all the people that wants to live and work there is that as more people can afford to live there, the cost to live there will rise accordingly. Unlike Kansas or Texas, there is a limit to how much more housing can be built outward (on the more desirable ocean side of the bay). Thus supply and demand takes over. If you think it's expensive to live in the SF Bay Area now, just see how expensive it'll be when the likes of McDonalds workers (in the SF Bay Area) earns a living wage there. The solution is not to increase the wage of workers whose skills level don't justify a salary of over $75,000. (Though I'm sure that's the solution unions wants to see.) The solution is to reduce the cost of living there. Not that easy.  

• Reply 99 of 170
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's not like the military was going to be much help, because they still lost the claims in which they did have a military presence.

Well the king of Spain did grant huge sections of land to the family which is now controlled by the Irvine Company and they still hold the land. Same with Rancho Mission Viejo, so some land owners were able to hold on and was successfully re-titled in California, USA.

• Reply 100 of 170
    mstone wrote: »
    Perhaps but no one knows. The Pacific is a big area. The Spaniards made it all the way to the Philippines during that same era and substantially colonizes that culture and also made it all the way down the west coast of South America. 

I like to tease my Italian friends, I tell them "even tiny ass Portugal got into the world domination thing, what the hell were you guys doing? Painting the ships as they sailed by?" :lol: