Shuttle drivers at Apple, other Silicon Valley tech companies vote for Teamsters representation

Comments

• Reply 101 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »
    Well the king of Spain did grant huge sections of land to the family which is now controlled by the Irvine Company and they still hold the land. Same with Rancho Mission Viejo, so some land owners were able to hold on and was successfully re-titled in California, USA.

I still say that some smart ass deliberately named Rancho Cucamonga as a big F U.
  • Reply 102 of 170
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

While that's true, I still haven't seen people with a plethora of free time. There are still long lines at the DMV, and in banks, etc...., and all things computers and automation were supposed to improve.

You can't measure "improvement" by the length of the lines in businesses that have introduced automation. I willing to bet that those businesses that have automated are able to handle more customers faster, with better accuracy and less employees. The lines I now see at the DMV aren't any longer than it was 25 years ago. But I bet the DMV is handling 10X as many drivers.  

• Reply 103 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

You can't measure "improvement" by the length of the lines in businesses that have introduced automation. I willing to bet that those businesses that have automated are able to handle more customers faster, with better accuracy and less employees. The lines I now see at the DMV aren't any longer than it was 25 years ago. But I bet the DMV is handling 10X as many drivers.  

For $45 per year I never have to go to the DMV. I go to AAA. In and out in 15 minutes for my registrations and since my cars are all brand new no smog either. I have not been to the DMV in more than 10 years. Normally they just automatically renew my license by mail asking if anything has changed from the last time, such as my vision. I just check the box that says no changes and the license arrives in the mail a couple weeks later. My wife loves it too since her drivers license picture makes her look ten years younger.

• Reply 104 of 170
    For $45 per year I never have to go to the DMV. I go to AAA. In and out in 15 minutes for my registrations and since my cars are all brand new no smog either. I have not been to the DMV in more than 10 years. Normally they just automatically renew my license by mail asking if anything has changed from the last time, such as my vision. I just check the box that says no changes and the license arrives in the mail al couple weeks later.

To what do you refer? I have had AAA since I was 16yo. It is the single best cost saving service I have ever had, but I never used it to save me a trip to the DMV.
  • Reply 105 of 170
    davidw wrote: »
    The problem with paying a living wage to all the people that wants to live and work there is that as more people can afford to live there, the cost to live there will rise accordingly. Unlike Kansas or Texas, there is a limit to how much more housing can be built outward (on the more desirable ocean side of the bay). Thus supply and demand takes over. If you think it's expensive to live in the SF Bay Area now, just see how expensive it'll be when the likes of McDonalds workers (in the SF Bay Area) earns a living wage there. The solution is not to increase the wage of workers whose skills level don't justify a salary of over $75,000. (Though I'm sure that's the solution unions wants to see.) The solution is to reduce the cost of living there. Not that easy.  

I don't think there's too many people trying to raise a family with a job at McDonalds. It's usually the second, or third job in a household. Everyone is calling for these drivers to earn so little, but let a bus full of workers crash, and burn and everyone will want to know why such poor drivers were hired.
  • Reply 106 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

To what do you refer? I have had AAA since I was 16yo. It is the single best cost saving service I have ever had, but I never used it to save me a trip to the DMV.

I didn't think it was a secret. You just walk into the AAA office. write a check, boom, out of there. You don't even need your renewal paperwork they look it up on the computer. But they only accept checks or cash no CC.

• Reply 107 of 170
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    Quote:

Yet everything you listed is done on free time. I meant free time as opposed to work which the hours spent doing has increased, not decreased.

That's because automation decreased the amount of time it takes to do the same work. Thus you have the time to do more work. 

UPS drivers have to deliver more packages now because the hand held computer scanner they now use informs them of their next stop, the best way to get there and where the package is located in his/her truck. The scanner keep track of every delivery in real time. There is no longer time needed to figure out the next delivery, look for the package in the truck and the paper work done to sort out all the deliveries at the end of the day. Thus the UPS driver job is made a little easier and more efficient by using a computer but he/she must deliver more packages with the time it saves. But it's still an 8 hour work day and the driver didn't spend any more time delivering those extra packages that would have ended up being delivered the next day. 

• Reply 108 of 170
    I didn't think it was a secret. You just walk into the AAA office. write a check, boom, out of there. You don't even need your renewal paperwork they look it up on the computer.

I certainly didn't know it existed. Thanks!!!

I hope I can use it even though I have a Class A commercial license with all the endorsements. (I guess that makes me one of those "stupid people" that can drive a bus. :\)
    But they only accept checks or cash no CC.

I'd eat the dust out of someone's grandmother if it saves a trip to the DMV.*

* I went graphic to help illustrate how much I hate going to the DMV.
  • Reply 109 of 170
    Quote:

I hope I can use it even though I have a Class A commercial license with all the endorsements. 

They do not do drivers license renewals, only registration, title transfers etc,

• Reply 110 of 170
    They do not do drivers license renewals, only registration, title transfers etc,

Ah. When I buy a new car in CA all that is done for me by the dealer and then my license plate shows up in the mail a staggeringly long 4-6 months later.
  • Reply 111 of 170
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Ah. When I buy a new car in CA all that is done for me by the dealer and then my license plate shows up in the mail a staggeringly long 4-6 months later.

No way. What do you do in the meantime? Aren't you able to transfer old plates?
  • Reply 112 of 170
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Just try it next time you need to renew your tags, which is every year. Even if you are like me changing your car every three years you still need to renew your registration every single year. AAA is fast and easy.

It is absolutely painless.

• Reply 113 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerbear View Post

Not sure they are understanding the definition of "skill" and "non-skill." There is a wage gap for a reason. There is no opportunity gap. Any of those bus drivers could go to a programming boot-camp and get a job programming in python, java, etc. Everyone deserves good working conditions. I seriously doubt these drivers work in a poor working environment. Tons of people would love those jobs. The downside of unions is they prevent people from competing for those jobs - and eventually they will try to prevent non-union firms from competing for the bus contracts. Guaranteed.

You must not have much experience with union labor.  Many union jobs become extremely competitive because they offer good pay, benefits, and the ability to negotiate with the employer.  They also help handle disputes with the company if needed.  In addition, union members tend to have more pride in their work than just about any group of people I've ever worked with.  Many unionized workers are also very highly educated, extremely skilled in their particular area of expertise, or both.

I'm not sure where all the union hate comes from, but it really is based on a fallacy.  Unions are generally great for workers, and have also evolved to negotiate with companies in good faith to prevent the excesses of the past that were a combined fault of Detroit and the unions in the end.

• Reply 114 of 170
    dasanman69 wrote: »

In the meantime you just have some tiny piece of paper taped up in the lower-right of the windshield that proves your car is legal. Oddly I've never pulled over so they could verify, but knock on wood as I have a new car delivered to me this coming Tuesday.

You can only transfer specialized plates.
  • Reply 115 of 170
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

In some states, including California, the plates stay with the car. In other states, the plates stay with the owner. 

• Reply 116 of 170
    arlor wrote: »
    In some states, including California, the plates stay with the car. In other states, the plates stay with the owner. 

Adding to that…
  • Reply 117 of 170

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The "commonly accepted knowledge" with regard to unions is not correct. American prosperity was already on an upswing, wages were rising and the number of hours per week people were willing to work were already being shortened by the time big labor was a part of the picture. In fact, it was because of the pace of growing business that most were able to absorb and pass along these additional costs to consumers. When the rapid pace of business growth started to slow and the bottom fell out, the generous labor contracts and perks could not be maintained. Mass manufacturing relocated to China and the needs of businesses in America shifted to service, white collar and online. This same upward trajectory can be seen in China as they move from a manufacturing economy into services and technology. Manufacturing and labor intensive work has been transitioning to poorer and less developed countries for some time now.

Splif is right calling this 'total nonsense' whilst at the same time redefining both total and nonsense.  Have to love both AI and the single cell brains that with no reference to fact post 'total nonsense'.

• Reply 118 of 170
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Above that, if your job is not paying you enough, go find another one.  Last time I checked, truck drivers are being offered $100K+ salaries.  That sounds like a step up from bus driver doesn't it?

Oh really? Could you share those $100K+ truck driver postings you always see with us?

I had a feeling I'd never see anything about those theoretical job postings.

• Reply 119 of 170
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

That's because automation decreased the amount of time it takes to do the same work. Thus you have the time to do more work. 

UPS drivers have to deliver more packages now because the hand held computer scanner they now use informs them of their next stop, the best way to get there and where the package is located in his/her truck. The scanner keep track of every delivery in real time. There is no longer time needed to figure out the next delivery, look for the package in the truck and the paper work done to sort out all the deliveries at the end of the day. Thus the UPS driver job is made a little easier and more efficient by using a computer but he/she must deliver more packages with the time it saves. But it's still an 8 hour work day and the driver didn't spend any more time delivering those extra packages that would have ended up being delivered the next day. 

There is a complex algorythm that routes the truck (The Mercer Report, in Canada, had him going with a UPS or FEDEX truck), and I think packages themselves are loaded in the truck in the optimal way that relates to its route. Limiting time to get the package and carry it out. Thus looking more and more like a very busy ant directed by the lord computer ;-). When they have self driving trucks, and robots in the back, many people will lose their jobs...

• Reply 120 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Splif is right calling this 'total nonsense' whilst at the same time redefining both total and nonsense.  Have to love both AI and the single cell brains that with no reference to fact post 'total nonsense'.

Regrettably, both you and the other fellow have been fed pro-union propaganda and have never really delved into the facts for yourself.

This is a lengthy article, but one that must be read thoroughly to gain all of the relevant facts. Sorry, but the unions as heroes and modern myths surrounding labor are complete fabrications:

http://mises.org/library/forgotten-facts-american-labor-history