Tim Cook says Apple Watch will replace electronic car keys, confirms Apple Store revamp

Comments

• Reply 161 of 201
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    I don't know what car you have but German cars don't need to replace battery for keyfob. It's charged when in use.

How does that work?
  • Reply 162 of 201
    sog35 wrote: »
    I do know how it works. My G35 has it.

You could use your phone but what would be your backup? With a phone and watch you have a backup. In addition I'd probably keep a fob hidden in the car somewhere. Personally i'd love not lugging my fob with me. Ideally you could open your car with your fingerprint

"Lugging" your fob? Leaving it inside your car? (Have you ever tried that?). Fishing for your phone? Looking at your watch?

It's getting very hard to believe that you have a G35 with this type of system.
  • Reply 163 of 201
    mac_128 wrote: »
    For you. And for me.

And for me.
  • Reply 164 of 201
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I don't know what car you have but German cars don't need to replace battery for keyfob. It's charged when in use.

How does that work?

I wouldn't know since I have never kept my BMWs more than three years, but we used to have to plug the fob into the dash once in a while so maybe then. Now, there is no place to plug in the fob so I can't imagine that there is any charging going on.

• Reply 165 of 201
    thompr wrote: »
    How does that work?

The same way you plug anything in to charge it. I've seen them where the ignition goes, but you still use the push button start. I can be certainly but the way the plug on the fob is made it might be an induction charger; meaning, no exposed pins.

Personally, while nice, I'd rather have a smaller fob that uses a replaceable battery since those batteries typically last for years and are easy to change. I've change only a couple batteries and I was always easy to find replacements at dug stores.
  • Reply 166 of 201
    solipsismy wrote: »
    The same way you plug anything in to charge it. I've seen them where the ignition goes, but you still use the push button start. I can be certainly but the way the plug on the fob is made it might be an induction charger; meaning, no exposed pins.

Personally, while nice, I'd rather have a smaller fob that uses a battery since those batteries typically last for years and are easy to change. I've change only a couple batteries and I was always easy to find replacements at dug stores.

Well, the way the original poster phrased it, it sounded like he meant it charged persistently while in use, i.e. while it was just sitting there in your pocket. As if he were suggesting remote wireless charging wherever it may be, which, of course, I didn't believe.

My Infiniti fob has averaged about 3.5 years per battery, and I think it's great.
  • Reply 167 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Well, the way the original poster phrased it, it sounded like he meant it charged persistently while in use, i.e. while it was just sitting there in your pocket. As if he were suggesting remote wireless charging wherever it may be, which, of course, I didn't believe.

My Infiniti fob has averaged about 3.5 years per battery, and I think it's great.

I know almost nothing about the inner workings of the BMW fob and always thought there must be a battery inside that eventually would need changing, not that I ever expected it to die during the short time I was to own the car. It just occurred to me that perhaps when you take your car in for service, they may charge up your fob battery which would then be good for another year.

• Reply 168 of 201
    mstone wrote: »
    I know almost nothing about the inner workings of the BMW fob and always thought there must be a battery inside that eventually would need changing, not that I ever expected it to die during the short time I was to own the car. It just occurred to me that perhaps when you take your car in for service, they may charge up your fob battery which would then be good for another year.

Let's figure that out? What model and year do you have, or what does your fob look like?
  • Reply 169 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Let's figure that out? What model and year do you have, or what does your fob look like?

Here you go no clue how that can help/

• Reply 170 of 201
    [image]

This looks like the same design.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 171 of 201
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

[image]

This looks like the same design..

Mine is 2015 very exclusive.Check the red detail highlight color on the key fob

• Reply 172 of 201
    sorry double post

The internet is really slow here

• Reply 173 of 201
    Mine is 2015 very exclusive.Check the red detail highlight color on the key fob.

I saw the color, but I wouldn't think that would change how the device gets powered. If was charged by the car I would think there would be a different design; specifically the kid with a plug-ish end on them.
  • Reply 174 of 201
    Quote:

I saw the color, but I wouldn't think that would change how the device gets powered. If was charged by the car I would think there would be a different design; specifically the kid with a plug-ish end on them.

There is no place to plug it in.

• Reply 175 of 201
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

I can give very easily my car key to my son, when he needs the car, but I don't see me giving my watch to my son to drive the car.

Apple has until now not convinced me that the Apple Watch is nothing more than an expensive gimmick.  The car key idea just confirms this

• Reply 176 of 201
    Tim Cook's comment regarding a charging facility for the I watch being based around a magnet is in reality connected with the Manetron used in Microwave Ovens - it has a lot of uses besides heating up things!
  • Reply 177 of 201
    Hmmm likely first offering of Apple watch won't have the hardware to replace my FOB and/or car key? If I knew it was upward compatible for that function, I'd try to be the first to buy one ... else ... I wait.
  • Reply 178 of 201
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    There is no place to plug it in.

Right, everything points to a disposable battery in the fob, which is why I choose that video of the same looking fob. If you still aren't certain and if you want to know taking the cover off is simple, as per the video.
  • Reply 179 of 201
    I'll pass on the whip watch. How can anyone want to wear an accessory that everyone is wearing? Individuality is being attacked by a militarilist CEO.
  • Reply 180 of 201
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I'll pass on the whip watch. How can anyone want to wear an accessory that everyone is wearing? Individuality is being attacked by a militarilist CEO.

1) What's a whip watch?

2) If there were 1.2 billion watches sold just last year and they are accessories you are suggesting that no one should wear watches? :\