Variety of Apple Watch stylings for men spotlighted in Hong Kong fashion magazine spread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
The latest magazine to offer a closer look at the Apple Watch comes from Hong Kong, where a series of photos in the publication "East Touch" show off different models and watch band combinations for men.

Photo via official Instagram of East Touch.

All three models of Apple Watch -- the base Sport model, the standard stainless steel version, and the 18-karat gold Edition variant -- are all featured in the photos spread.

And unlike the previous magazine features on Apple Watch, this publication showcases the wrist-worn device solely on young men. A foursome of photos from East Touch were published by Hypebeast, showcasing both casual and classier looks for Apple's forthcoming wearable.

The Apple Watch is also featured on the cover of the latest issue, though not on anyone's wrist. An 18-karat Apple Watch Edition with black leather band and a black Digital Crown is shown off on the cover.

The Apple Watch is also featured in the latest edition of U.K. magazine Style, which revealed that the Space Gray Sport version of the device will carry the lowest retail price of $349. Other pricing tiers are not yet known.

Apple is set to hold a media event next week on March 9, where it is likely to reveal those final details on the Apple Watch ahead of its April launch. The event will be held at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, and AppleInsider will be there with full live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    I so wish I could afford the stainless steel model with the Milanese Loop. Alas, I doubt I can. Sport model doesn't look bad, I'll have my usual battle between blue and green though.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I so wish I could afford the stainless steel model with the Milanese Loop. Alas, I doubt I can. Sport model doesn't look bad, I'll have my usual battle between blue and green though.

Take blue this time!

• Reply 3 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I can't recall now but did Apple do a lot a marketing prior to the iPhone's original launch or did Steve spring it on the world on stage live?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Did Apple approve these shots? I can't believe they'd approve someone yawning. What's up with that? And I know this is an ad, but isn't the watch display off when you're not looking at it? Unless Apple is going to surprise us with some low power mode that will display a clock face all the time? Is that even possible?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    I can't recall now but did Apple do a lot a marketing prior to the iPhone's original launch or did Steve spring it on the world on stage live?

Announced at Macworld in January, launched in...it was June or July of that year. They had the famous "Hello?" ad that Scamscum ripped off last year.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    davygeedavygee Posts: 65member
    Quote:

I agree, it looks great, but doubt I will be able to afford the Stainless Steel version...I just wish they would release the SS version with a cheap sport band for a reasonable price...seeing as I'm in the UK, I expect the the basic version (Sport?) to come in at £279 ($349)...I have £400 kept aside for the SS version....but I seriously doubt it will come in around $499 or less....so I'm not happy....may have to go for the Sport version then.

Anyway, what price do we expect the straps to cost?  The Milanese Loop....$100-$150?

• Reply 7 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    davygee wrote: »
    I agree, it looks great, but doubt I will be able to afford the Stainless Steel version...I just wish they would release the SS version with a cheap sport band for a reasonable price...seeing as I'm in the UK, I expect the the basic version (Sport?) to come in at £279 ($349)...I have £400 kept aside for the SS version....but I seriously doubt it will come in around $499 or less....so I'm not happy....may have to go for the Sport version then.

Anyway, what price do we expect the straps to cost?  The Milanese Loop....$100-$150?

Use your Amex and pay it over a few months ... get fly miles and the ?Watch and strap you really want :)
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Use your Amex and pay it over a few months ... get fly miles and the ?Watch and strap you really want image

I wish, just can't justify paying more than that for a watch, that "may" be non-functional after a few years.

• Reply 9 of 40
    The gold watch with the black band looks exquisite.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    @rogifan These ads are not for you: they're for bored, 1 percenters. The "low-end" version of the watch is for us unwashed slobs, but the real target is...bored 1 percenters for whom blowing a (conceivably but not proved) large amount of money is no issue.

Apple is a luxury brand to be sure, but these ads belie a desire to feed the petite bourgeoisie, which is, in the end, very counterrevolutionary.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

if that's how you feel about the Watch should not buy any model.

Do you seriously think Apple will stop supporting the watch after 2 years?  really?

Remember the SS will also have a sapphire face instead of just glass like the sport version.  Plus more band options.  Its a watch you can use for any event.  For about $250 more its well worth it IMO.  What other SS watch on the market comes even close to that quality for less than $1000? there is none.

Don't get me wrong, the Watch looks fantastic, but it should be viewed similarly to buying an iPad.  A very nice, functional product that will get used everyday, but will most likely will become unusuable after 2-3 years.  Remember, even though this is getting targetted as a fashion accessory, it cannot sit in the same market as a traditional watch, as a decent watch around the £300-£500 pricepoint should effectively last you a lifetime...not just 2-3 years.

Regarding Apple supporting the device...of course they will support it for a reasonable amount of time, Apple always do....certainly longer than any other Mobile manufacturer, but Apple's 2-3 year support cycle works for other items, not essentially watches.

Also, we are not sure what price the Stainless Steel model will come in at.....I was hoping for a $500 pricepoint, but if it's nearer $1000, then I can see the main seller by far being the Sport version.....

Also, we have all assumed that the Sport version is going to be the cheaper version haven't we.....has anything officially been said about this?

• Reply 12 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Did Apple approve these shots? I can't believe they'd approve someone yawning. What's up with that? And I know this is an ad, but isn't the watch display off when you're not looking at it? Unless Apple is going to surprise us with some low power mode that will display a clock face all the time? Is that even possible?

Who says this is an ad? Looks like fashion news to me.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Remember the SS will also have a sapphire face instead of just glass like the sport version.  Plus more band options.  Its a watch you can use for any event.  For about $250 more its well worth it IMO.  What other SS watch on the market comes even close to that quality for less than $1000? there is none.

Oh, you are so wrong.

Seiko men's diver's automatic watch, $173 via an Amazon seller.

I would expect this to last 30+ years without any issues. Notably, it is an automatic watch so you won't spend a dime in batteries. The question is whether or not the stainless steel Apple Watch will come close to the quality of the Seiko model which is waterproof to 200 meters.

This particularly Seiko model is a classic.

• Reply 14 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    @rogifan These ads are not for you: they're for bored, 1 percenters. The "low-end" version of the watch is for us unwashed slobs, but the real target is...bored 1 percenters for whom blowing a (conceivably but not proved) large amount of money is no issue.

Apple is a luxury brand to be sure, but these ads belie a desire to feed the petite bourgeoisie, which is, in the end, very counterrevolutionary.

Um, nobody in that 'ad' looks like a one percenter to me.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Um, nobody in that 'ad' looks like a one percenter to me.

What "percent" are models?
  • Reply 16 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Again with the "ads." If Apple is going to do an ad, it's not going to look like this.

I think you're right about the 1 percenter target of the magazine, but including wannabe 1 percenters. The "counterrevolutionary" part may be a bit outdated. Marxist theory never got updated for the electronic information age, let alone the Internet age. For all we know, the children of the 1percent could fund the next social transformation. Knowledge and communication are powerful things, and that's what we're starting to actually get—among the young, mostly.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Now that I am seeing a few more photos of this in action I think it looks a lot better than I originally thought possible. Looks pretty sweet.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What "percent" are models?

The "one percenters" frequently discussed in the media are the top one-percent in income. Models may be within the top one percent in looks, but that's not what the media is talking about when they say "one percenters."

Most models don't make much money. The ones depicted in these fashion shoots are likely not raking in the big bucks. 

Only a handful of them (the Victoria's Secret gals, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit models) rake in the big bucks: Kate Moss, Lily Alridge, Anne V., Kate Upton, models of the "supermodel" caliber.

• Reply 19 of 40
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

The Milanese Loop is Sexy as Hell!

It is the Sexiest way to put your watch on and take it off. No fiddling with knobs. You just swing it off (in bed). Gotta love the Sensuous Swoop. 

• Reply 20 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mr o wrote: »

The Milanese Loop is Sexy as Hell!

It is the Sexiest way to put your watch on and take it off. No fiddling with knobs. You just swing it off (in bed). Gotta love the Sensuous Swoop. 

I like the look of that band also, but it looks like a problem for those of us with hairy arms.