Tim Cook discusses Steve Jobs, personal privacy, and Apple's role as a social leader

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Appears like Apple and Tim Cook know they have a huge PR problem in Europe over NSA spying in particular, plus the usual backdraft toward Apple over pricing, profits, tax and labor practices, etc.

Cook's interview in the Telegraph last week was similar to this one, but with no Snowden and maybe more promises of privacy. This Bild interview seems to be behind a paywall, so we don't know the details, but the Telegraph story was accompanied by the worst comment thread I've ever read, almost all in complete denial of Cook and Apple's veracity.

Maybe it's general anti-American, post-Iraq, war-on-terror fallout, but Apple seems to be scorned more there than here, and Tim Cook is trying to do something about it. But suspicion is now the default position, post Snowden, so maybe that's why Tim seems to welcome the leaker-inspired scrutiny. The question is, can he or anyone defuse the paranoid view? (I think it's paranoid and irrational, at least, though understandable.)
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cook somewhat surprisingly praised NSA leaker Edward Snowden, whose revelations of widespread government surveillance have caused major problems for U.S. technology firms, including Apple.

"If Snowden accomplished anything for us," Cook said, "then it was to get us to talk more about these things. Our values were always the same."

^^^

Nothing 'surprising' about it on the least. If anyone's been paying attention, that's exactly where he's coming from.

• Reply 23 of 28
    @BFrost. "...Whilst I'd love to see the Apple Watch sell a ton, I don't think it will. I think Cook realises this, due to the lack of interest that they have no doubt seen both in public and internal surveys...."
    Citations please, or is this simply your assumption?[/quote]

I've seen at least two public surveys which showed very low interest in the Apple Watch, much lower than the iPhone or iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Appears like Apple and Tim Cook know they have a huge PR problem in Europe over NSA spying in particular, plus the usual backdraft toward Apple over pricing, profits, tax and labor practices, etc.

Every major country in the EU -- UK, France, Germany for starters -- has been shown to engage in similar spying (if not worse).

As to taxes, it's EU's problem, not Apple's. As to pricing, people are welcome to not buy the product if the price is too high, but it accounts for exchange rate risks, VAT, end-of-product-life costs, higher distribution costs, higher labor costs, higher retailing costs, and pricing-to-market.

And labor practices? Give me a break. No one has done more to elevate industry practices that Apple has.

Bottom line: the EU can stuff it. (The real hypocrisy would be if they bought Androids or Windows-based PCs instead thinking that they're better than Apple on any one of these counts).

• Reply 25 of 28

Ahh. You read minds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Agreed.

As far as I'm concerned, Tim Cook saying that he can't comment on the iCar rumour confirms that Apple are, indeed, seriously developing a car.

I think the timing of this huge rumour is telling. Whilst I'd love to see the Apple Watch sell a ton, I don't think it will. I think Cook realises this, due to the lack of interest that they have no doubt seen both in public and internal surveys. As such, rather than let the negative launch of the Apple Watch overwhelm them, Cook has chosen to release the iCar rumour so as to change the narrative and give hope to bigger things. After all, they could have quite easily chosen to delay the large signings from Tesla, Mercedes and others until after the Watch launch. The fact that these have happened only shortly before it is, in my humble opinion, the writing on the wall for the fate of the Watch, sadly.

To witch, Quote:

Originally Posted by pacificfilm View Post

Citations please, or is this simply your assumption?

Quote:

Citations please, or is this simply your assumption?[/quote]

I've seen at least two public surveys which showed very low interest in the Apple Watch, much lower than the iPhone or iPad.

WOW!

After reading two (imaginary?) public surveys you tired out?

As has so well been said before, Put up or shut up!

• Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

It's lovely to see Tim remembering Steve; the strength of his feeling really comes through.

Well said! :)

• Reply 27 of 28
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    flaneur wrote: »

Cook's interview in the Telegraph last week was similar to this one, but with no Snowden and maybe more promises of privacy. This Bild interview seems to be behind a paywall, so we don't know the details, but the Telegraph story was accompanied by the worst comment thread I've ever read, almost all in complete denial of Cook and Apple's veracity.

Maybe it's general anti-American, post-Iraq, war-on-terror fallout, but Apple seems to be scorned more there than here, and Tim Cook is trying to do something about it. But suspicion is now the default position, post Snowden, so maybe that's why Tim seems to welcome the leaker-inspired scrutiny. The question is, can he or anyone defuse the paranoid view? (I think it's paranoid and irrational, at least, though understandable.)

You can't assume anything from the below the line commentaries in minority papers, either the Guardian or the Telegraph. They Attract fruitcakes.