Piper Jaffray pegs stainless steel Apple Watch price at $499, Edition at $4,999

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Well, using an inflation calculator for something with lots of gold doesn't quite work out :-).
    Gold price now are 13 times that of 1973.
    If the original watch with bracelet had 1.5 ounces (not completely unreasonable), you'd get $145 , then $1885 dollars now just for the gold.

1.5oz in a gold in a plated watch? I honestly don't know how much gold is used for plating.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member

When it comes to coveting any Apple device, is money ever an issue?

• Reply 23 of 61
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

I'm all Gene'ed out. Stop reporting on this assbag.

• Reply 24 of 61
    Michael scrip - I believe Judge Lucy Koh to be the most torturous inquisitor just ahead of the
    Judge Densie "The Pupet" Cote. Can't wait for the to see the Attorney generals both Federal and
    State doing their stuttering explanation over the embarrassing Appeals court reversal. Sort of a reverse Perp walk.
    To the Moon AAPL !
  • Reply 25 of 61
    davygeedavygee Posts: 65member

At $499, I'm defo getting one of those Stainless Steel watches.

Although do we honestly think there will be variations of storage sizes for the watches.  I never even thought of that.  If this does in fact happen, then I expect the Apple Watch Edition to come with one one storage size and it will be the biggest, although not sure what that will be???? 32Gb???

It's maybe just too much bother to have different storage options along with sizes and colours....but I suppose you can get 2 different sized iPhones with 3 different colours and 3 different sizes of storage....so it could be kind of similar.

Currently we have 3 different Watch versions, each with 2 different colour options, so adding in 2 or 3 different storage options would just make it similar to iPhones and iPads.

To make it more value for people and to get them to pay more for a better version, maybe they will go down the route of:

Apple Watch Sport, available in 2 colours and with 8Gb storage for $349

Apple Watch, available in 2 colours with 16Gb & 32Gb storage options....would be great if it started at $499

Apple Watch Edition, available in 2 colours with 32Gb storage for $4999

• Reply 26 of 61
    But the TV set Gene, the TEE VEE! What will it start at!?

$499 is optimistic but possible (I've had this in mind at times). $4,999 is a bit more optimistic than I think is possible.

Here's an Omega gold LED watch from the 1970's ...I'm trying to find its cost back then for some perspective.

I remember THAT watch from the late '70s. They tried to milk it for a few hundred bucks back then, but the bottom fell out of the Red LED watch market with Texas Instrument's $19.95 announcement. Red LED watches became radioactive overnight. No jeweler would stock them without taking them on consignment from the manufacturers. Omega ended with some egg on their face... And would you LOOK at the watch face! The crazy ugly logo and the name "OMEGA" almost as big as the time numerals. The gold also looks sprayed on...
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Only 6 more days until we know the actual retail price...
    :D

I'm not sure Apple will spill on the whole pricing structure on the 9th, they may offer more details, but Apple is being a bit coy. As for Munster shitting out some numbers, remember where he pulled all his numbers from... they all come the same orifice and are more often wrong then even "chance" would get you.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    I'm not sure Apple will spill on the whole pricing structure on the 9th, they may offer more details, but Apple is being a bit coy.

This will be the 2nd announcement for the Apple Watch... and the 2nd time they've invited press from all over the country (and across the world)

I'll be shocked if they don't give us EVERYTHING at this event to wrap this up.

There won't be a 3rd event since the Apple Watch comes out next month... and the price is something that is too important to just casually mention in a press release.

My vote is that March 9th will complete the Apple Watch story. If they don't... they're just stretching this out to ridiculous lengths for no reason.

I know Apple loves to be coy... but come on. :)
  • Reply 29 of 61
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Last night Gruber tweeted that he thinks the link bracelet will be at least $1K and could be as high as $2K. So either he's just trolling everyone with his price estimates or the SS watch with non-Sport band is going to be much more expensive than most people think. If Gruber is messing with everyone he's doing a good job of making it look legit as he's completely serious about his estimates.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Last night Gruber tweeted that he thinks the link bracelet will be at least $1K and could be as high as $2K. So either he's just trolling everyone with his price estimates or the SS watch with non-Sport band is going to be much more expensive than most people think. If Gruber is messing with everyone he's doing a good job of making it look legit as he's completely serious about his estimates.

Gruber has said many times he has no direct inside knowledge of Apple plans. He has birdies that will sometimes answer questions but it's usually vague. Most of his posts begin with "I don't know but I think..."
  • Reply 31 of 61
    (A presumed) five thousand dollars...for what essentially is the same device. Yes, I get the gold stuff. But someone, please, explain how the Edition version is so fundamentally different from the other two "models" as to have such a huge markup.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    (A presumed) five thousand dollars...for what essentially is the same device. Yes, I get the gold stuff. But someone, please, explain how the Edition version is so fundamentally different from the other two "models" as to have such a huge markup.

Real gold is a significant material difference. Check out current gold prices if this is not clear to you.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    It's like he's playing darts in the dark and is expecting to hit the bullseye. All he's gonna get is a dart in his neck.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Real gold is a significant material difference. Check out current gold prices if this is not clear to you.

As I mentioned, I get the gold part, so that is clear to me, thanks for the condescension. I sincerely want to know if there are any good ideas about how this model is so significantly different on the inside for such a potentially large markup. 

• Reply 35 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    $499, according to this site…

From an inflation calculator website: What cost $499 in 1973 would cost $2622.95 in 2014.

OK then that was the wrong picture, the gold was solid on the one I read about so it sure wasn't $499. My Rolex is from the 1970's and cost around $3,000 and it isn't solid gold. That picture must have been a gold paint version if only $499! If you have one of the solid gold ones I'll give you $499 for it ;)
  • Reply 36 of 61
    davygeedavygee Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

I posted earlier, but it must have got lost.

Unless the Watch comes with different storage sizes.  I mentioned that potentially, there could be the following:

Apple Watch Sport in 2 colours with 8Gb storage for $349

Apple Watch in 2 colours with 2 different storage options (16Gb/32Gb), starting at $499?

Apple Watch Edition in 2 colours with 32Gb storage for $4999

Just an idea.

• Reply 37 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Of course, the edition watch doesn't have a gold bracelet, so the markeup could in fact be higher than 80%

All this talk of Gold, Gold, Gold ... what I want to know is where is the diamond encrusted edition? How can Apple be a serious watch competitor without one? /s

• Reply 38 of 61
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    All this talk of Gold, Gold, Gold...

:lol:
  • Reply 39 of 61
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1.5oz in a gold in a plated watch? I honestly don't know how much gold is used for plating.

I considered the watch and the bracelet, 1.5 ounce is not that much for both. Somebody said that it wasn't plated too.

If it was only the watch that was gold, It would have been half that.

But, hey, what do I know maybe the tech itself was worth more than the $145 buck I evaluated it to :-) or they had a 100% markeup :-), not 72%

• Reply 40 of 61

Lord, I remember this one too, but the one I wanted was made by Pulsar.

Both required you to press a button to find out the time, but what I remember is how magical we thought they were.